Please do not force overlapping nameplates

Every time I log in, the game resets this particular setting to overlapping.

No, Blizzard. You play the game with stacking nameplates. Stop forcing the other as default every time I log in. Thanks.

5 Likes

Hope they fix this bug soon.
I looked into it and there used to be a variable in the config-cache.wtf for each character saying:
SET nameplateMotion “1”
Where 0 would be overlapping.

I tried /script SetCVar (“nameplateMotion”, 1) and /console nameplateMotion 1 in the game but neither worked.

If I put SET nameplateMotion “1” in any of the game’s config files it would have stacked nameplates when launched but when the game closed it would remove that line again.

The same was true for 3 other variables I was using:
SET nameplateMaxDistance “40”
SET nameplateOtherBottomInset “-1”
SET nameplateOtherTopInset “-1”

This showed up in the game’s log file too:
{
“nameplateMotion is read only or secure.”, – [1]
0, – [2]
}, – [597]

I really just hate these subtle but still agressive regressions in user UI. WoW is the only game that really always goes out of its way to show a devolution over time.

Take the world map for example. Why does it need to hug the left side of the screen and why did they remove the option for me to move it to the middle of the screen, where your eyes reside naturally and where it belongs? Like seriously. I have to redownload a SPECIFIC addon for it even though I always used another.

Sexymap is the only addon that I currently know of that is able to move it. Chinchilla minimap (the one I’ve always been using) doesn’t work, neither does MoveAnything.

I really don’t get it. Again the world map belongs in the center of the screen.

If you load any addon, you would be able to just copy that part into its .lua file at the top and it should work.
Or create your own small “cvar loading addon”.

I included it in my startup macro that I need to use anyway to set some addon specific settings straight.

It’s still annoying as hell, I’ve found out that it sometimes even resets upon a loading screen.

1 Like

If you load any addon, you would be able to just copy that part into its .lua file at the top and it should work.
Or create your own small “cvar loading addon”.

Thanks, I actually thought about that today, gonna make a specific addon for it until it’s fixed. Though I kinda wonder if it has anything to do with files being “read only” since I got that message in the game’s logfile. I think when BfA was released something changed with the ownership properties of the WoW folders that made the game reset the graphics settings every launch. Gonna keep looking into it.

1 Like

This started happening to me too after 8.1.5. Surely this has to be a bug and not a decision from Blizz?

1 Like

It has to be a bug since the option is still there in interface to choose stacking!

I found a way that seems to fix it until they notice my bug report in game or on their twitter page. (Which I doubt they will)

In the World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\Addons folder, create a new folder and name it something like FixNameplates. Open a text editor and paste this:

## Interface: 80100
## Title: FixNameplates
FixNameplates.lua

Save the file as FixNameplates.toc
Open text editor again and paste:

SetCVar("nameplateMotion", 1)

Save it as FixNameplates.lua
This should do it. If you’re like me and want nameplates to not stick to edges and not be seen from a huge distance (The way it was before Legion) add these lines to the lua file too:

SetCVar("nameplateMaxDistance", 40)
SetCVar("nameplateOtherTopInset", -1)
SetCVar("nameplateOtherBottomInset", -1)
4 Likes

Yeah sorry for the dumb title… it 100% is a bug, it just infuriated me so much. Sometimes it just feels like they go out of their way to screw UI customizability over…

Report it as a bug ingame. I just did. The more people report it, the more likely they will notice and fix it. (One may hope…)

I confirm this bug. Sticking nameplates reset to overlapping after each UI reload.

Really hate the fact that EU forums don’t even get a Bug report forum, though.

1 Like

Can confirm that this is fixed now. The game now saves stacking nameplates as well as other nameplate variables.

1 Like

ty very much

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.