Please Remove Rune Of Power

You people think you want RoP gone but you actually don’t want RoP gone, it would make all specs play for uptime like frost which is neither fun, nor rewarding.

Please focus on actual problems that the new talent trees have instead of whining about RoP :exclamation:

2 Likes

I think it’s clear that pretty much no one here likes rune.

1 Like

You people think you want RoP gone but you actually don’t want RoP gone, it would make all specs play for uptime like frost which is neither fun, nor rewarding. Please focus on actual problems that the new talent trees have instead of whining about RoP

I actually agree with this despite it not being the most popular opinion here. I should say that I’m not a mage main but it is a class I enjoy a lot as an alt.

Honestly, Rune of Power is the least of mage’s problems right now. I don’t personally mind it. I can see why it might annoy people too but 9/10 times, if you play really well by utilising your alter time/blink, positioning properly and timing your CDs relative to certain fight mechanics you can often avoid losing significant RoP uptime.

ol I like it

agree, worst talent ever. I have written it since legion

2 Likes

I’ve wanted it gone for a while, and even made a forum thread about it back in 2020. Rune was an issue back then, and it still is an issue.

2 Likes

It’s a terrible spell overall.

I just don’t get why some people like it, all it does is increase your damage by a % basically, it’s just bigger numbers.

It has no impact on the actual rotation aside pre casting it, it causes problems in terms of massive burst, which has been a problem in the past, and it forces you to stand still, which goes against mage mobility idea.

Overall it’s a terrible idea, why is it still around it a mystery to me. I bet they would nerf combustion before they actually remove rune of power…

3 Likes

It makes me preplan my cooldown and positioning usage, which feels very rewarding if done correctly.

Stop belittling others though. I don’t like, how there is only one way to play fire mage in 9.2.5, and that’s with RoP and playing fully around big combustions. They really should make builds with incanter’s flow viable

3 Likes

I know, but the problem is that i don’t think it’s healthy for the game overall, i do realize that there is skill involved in the use of rune of power.

But in the end this is the problem, the talent itself is not very fun or interesting, it’s just a % damage modifier and it’s way too bursty when combined with other cds, for frost it’s not a big deal because the cd lasts a long time, and it’s less bursty than comb or arcane power, but it definitely is a problem for fire and arcane.

And it will always be the best choice unless they actually change how combustion works, or arcane power, which i would rather not, especially combustion.

Arcane power is pretty meh, not very interesting. They should add something to it, to make it a little more interesting.

2 Likes

I’m not belittling anyone, I just think that the crowd demanding RoP to go away is completely ignoring the consequences that would bring.

1 Like

I don’ t get it. Why so many ppl hate RoP ? You can time it where to use it. Every boss have window when you can pop your burst and dosn’t need to move.

Its not funny ? Nah man i love to play around rune. And the range of RoP is not like 1y to be so terrible or borring like many ppl mentioned here.

And mostly to me it looks like that there are only ppl from HC dificulity or even with zero progress. I mean with that hate around RoP.

Blockquote I don’ t get it. Why so many ppl hate RoP ? You can time it where to use it. Every boss have window when you can pop your burst and dosn’t need to move.

Which means mages have to know all boss encounters mechanics with the exact timing of each ability in order to produce some avarage dps that other classes can pop out without the need of knowing the fight well, they can just go with whatever happens during the fight and adjust quickly. RoP is one of the most punishing talents in the game.
Oh, and even if you time everything in a perfect way, some encounter mechanic can (and will) pop right on top of your RoP.

Blockquote And mostly to me it looks like that there are only ppl from HC dificulity or even with zero progress. I mean with that hate around RoP.

Til SL I was playing my mage only since WotLK (didn’t have a single alt), and til Legion I was a mythic raider but RoP simply broke my desire to keep on raiding simply because it’s an unfair talent that forces you to pick it up if you wanted to play fire or arcane.
SL was the last straw for me and for the first time I lvl’d up a new toon and now I’m playing a Moonkin (named Explorhits @ Silvermoon).
This week I jumped back on my mage just to see how it feels, and it felt terrible!
I have no idea why anyone would like a talent that is so limiting in timing and movement, just to enjoy 10 secs of burst that nowdays is so weak compared to my Convoke (for example).
I have mages in my guild, good players, that don’t wanna ditch their mage but are very frustrated with the RoP playstyle.
WoW raids are just becoming more and more difficult with various ‘think fast - move fast’ mechanics, and it’s not going to get any better.
This limiting talent has to go or nerfed in a serious way cause buffing up IF won’t solve the problem since RoP lines up with all the major CDs.

2 Likes

If they want to keep the damn Rune then change Incanter’s to be 10-15% flat spelldamage boost. MoP had it best: last Talent row had Rune, Evocation spelldamage boost and Incanter’s was damage absorb + spell booster.

Ye the problem is its overtuned, no talent choice should be mandatory. It should be a dps increase over IF but they are too far apart atm. It’s looks like they are trying to make a crit pyro build viable in the fire tree and the massive reduction in icy viens suggest there will be a place in those specs for IF they just need to nerf rune to balance things.

this isn’t even remotely true. you can get great value just ripping it on cooldown, and make adjustments in the pulls to come. the fact that rune beats everything even without good uptime is a different issue, but don’t try to misrepresent rune like it requires perfect uptime.

completely contradictory to what you just said. shadowlands bosses don’t have random mechanics, they are all on a timer. you just didn’t pay attention, yet still claim to have timed your cooldowns perfectly.

But that’s exactly the thing: it’s a talent that forces you to make adjustments beyond what u already need to pay attention to during the raid, and while u do that other classes keeps on dps’ing without worrying about when to use their major cd.
If it was so good and easy as your try to portray it, mages would be on top of the dps charts, not on the bottom.

Take Rygleon for example: you can’t predict when u get a bomb, so if you pop’d RoP exactly when u got it - you lost a lot of dps.
You try to make it sound like RoP isn’t a talent that f***s up our dps many times, while it does.

1 Like

This is uh, a tuning issue. It has nothing to do with skill, as we all know there are plenty of insanely skilled mages out there.

are you trying to claim that mage is the only class in the game that has to think ahead and plan their cooldown timings and usage? that other classes can just send everything without worrying about fight mechanics or uptime?

venthyr boomy says hi. frost dk with breath says hi too! and let’s not even begin to talk about current blood dk.

yes, surely having to think about rune usage is the reason mages aren’t pumping right now. couldn’t be tuning.

you are aware that rygelon bomb debuff lasts 15 seconds, and rune of power lasts 12 seconds, right?

let’s say we’re being generous and it takes you five seconds to make your way to the soak. with mage mobility and a small arena it takes 2-3 seconds tops, but just for the sake of argument. that means you get to stand in your rune for 10 seconds, which is plenty of value.

now i know that you’re just using rygelon bombs as an example, but i could probably write up a similar explanation for just about every “random” raid mechanic there is. i really can’t recall a single mechanic so hostile to rune specifically, that it feels like the game is stacked against you. every time i mess up rune, it always boils down to me playing bad or just not using my full toolkit.

I won’t argue that RoP demands more skill and good encounter awareness, and ofc I saw mages here and there doing nice dps on some bosses, but they work extra hard for it with this mandatory talent.
But anyways I don’t believe they’ll remove it or even nerf it, If they had any plans to change this core ability it wouldn’t be on the new trees in the first place, so at least you will be able to enjoy it for another expansion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: