Pre-Patch created dead keys that close the game on Mac, e.g. ^ and ´ with German keyboard settings

same here :unamused:

English client /game
German qwertz keyboard
disabled OS key binds
cannot press ^ and ´

Same problem here:

• Macbook Pro M3 pro
  • Mac OS Sonoma 14.5
  • WoW client in English - Battle.net
  • Keyboard Logitech Mx Mechanical Mini - Layout US INT´L
  • Keyboard QWERTY - Language Portuguese
  • Keyboard in game language: Portuguese
  • Keys with issues cmd+Q and ~ and ´
1 Like

Same issue for me.

• Apple M2 Pro
  • Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224)
  • WoW client in English
  • Keyboard Glove 80
  • Accessibility enabled

Issues: CMD + Q

Tried Ignore System Shortcuts, but no luck. Enabling that breaks CMD + Tab which I rely on.

2 Likes

any updates? it’s unplayable right now

14" 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max, Sonoma 14.5

• Client: French
  • AZERTY
  • AZERTY
  • ^ and `

I feel like I should mention, ^ and ` don’t merely close the game, but when it happens I also hear a brief crackling noise coming from my speakers. It’s a noise I tend to associate with freezing from experience, but I can’t tell you much more, I’m kind of computer illiterate.

They are respectively my move forward and turn right keys, as I got into the habit of using ^Mù` as my right-hand “WASD” due to a technical mishap several years ago… Muscle memory has not been kind to me in 11.0, which is a nice way of saying it’s unplayable.

1 Like

I’ve tried to enable the options for shortcut disabling and giving permisions to WoW in Privacy & Security but it didn’t solve the problem. More info about my system:

WoW client language: English
Type of keyboard: QWERTY (Magic Keyboard)
Keyboard language layout: EN-US, also Spanish but rarely used in game (just for chat)
Key that’s closing the game: Cmd+Q

My Mac info:
CPU: Apple M2 Pro
OS Ver: MacOs Sonoma 14.5 (23F79)

Hi Newdarkworld, indeed Cmd+Q is a mac system shortcut to exit any active app.
When I try to change the same setting as you in wow, I sometimes get a lua error (which I can’t reproduce now - but I’m not a dev, that’s not my work to make it work when game does not work). Amho, this settings (and some other ones) may not succeed to write in game’s system files, especially when game crashes.
There is multiple topic about these “shortcuts problems on mac”, but it’s not exactly the same issue I guess…
PS : sorry, my grammar on this one is quite fancy…

There is no workaround for this kind of problem right now. Even if you change basic hotkeys on ur MAC and disable CMD + Q for exiting an app, it’s still happening. It’s a Blizzard thing which needs to be looked in. Before 11.0 everything was super fine, not sure why they even added it, it’s just causing problems.

1 Like

@Blizzard - game is unplayable right now. What is the ETA for a fix?

Not sure if they even know what is causing it and how it was added…
XD

wtf is wrong with ppl posting their specs… are you QA or paying customers? Bli$$ don’t need this info they are just jerking you around… as always

I found a workaround for this:

1. Open System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts… > App Shortcuts
  2. Click on the + to add a new shortcut
  3. For Applications, select the “World of Warcraft.app” file under the retail folder (/Applications/World of Warcraft/retail/World of Warcraft.app)
  4. In the field for Menu Title, enter: “Quit World of Warcraft”, it has to be exactly like this but without the " ".
  5. For Keyboard Shortcut, use another shortcut than the one that closes your game. CMD + Q quit the game for me so I chose CMD + F12 for example.
  6. Click Done and close System Settings, open the game and test it.
4 Likes

does it prevent `and ^from crashing the game ? Or is its just for que CMD+Q problem?

Hello,

I also have this problem…
Info: macOS 14.5 - French - AZERTY keyboard - Mac Bluetooth keyboard without Touch ID, with numeric keypad - the game has been on an external SSD for over 4 years
Before 11.0, all my shortcuts worked (I played on Sunday before 11.0). Now, cmd+q closes the game. So, I activated the option to disable system shortcuts. Still the same problem. I changed the shortcut.
It turns out that pressing ^ $ or ` also closes the game, even on the character selection page.

Unfortunately, this also happens on Cataclysm Classic! WoW Classic does not have this problem.

I deleted the Cache, Interface, and WTF folders.
I don’t know what else to do.

Thank you
Have a good day

Same here:

• Macbook Pro M2 Max 96GB Ram
  • Mac OS Sonoma 14.5
  • WoW client in English - Battle.net
  • Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro Mini - Layout British English
  • Mac Keyboard QWERTY - Language Turkish
  • Keyboard in game language: English
  • Problematic keys: cmd+Q

No ETA for the moment, but I can confirm that it’s still under investigation, and hopefully we’ll have a fix soon!

In the meantime, could you try to change the keyboard layout to US - English (which would set your keyboard as a QWERTY-US) and see how it goes please? I know this implies quite a few changes to your keybindings, but it may help while a fix is deployed.

If needed, you should be able to save the keybindings file with your current settings, which can be found under WTF > Account > AccountName

I’ve just changed it to US and nothing has changed unfortunately still kicks me out when I use cmd+Q

1 Like

Are you okay? You sound miserable.

This isn’t really possible for some of us because our ability to chat relies on our native keyboard setting.

2 Likes

This does indeed work for me. Going into System Prefs → Keyboard and enabling EN-US.

I could use the keys ^ and ` (which became [ and \ respectively) with no issue.

Then as soon as I switched back to the French keyboard layout, ^ exited the game.

CMD+Q quitting the game sounds like an entirely different issue, to be honest. In that case it’s just the usual Mac shortcut working “normally”, though it shouldn’t with WoW. Similarly, CMD+H hides the app, and CMD+, switches the game to a small windowed mode (usually playing full screen).

1 Like