Precious Tanks

Nothing more annoying than wiping because some muppet pulls before u can even touch the mobs, or when a mage AOEs the second youpull.
I can understand this tanks frustation, when you’ve been in groups wiping all over the dungeon or disbanding because one or more idiot DPS.

2 Likes

If the run was going smooth and the only problem was “not doing things as tank said”, well fkk him, let him leave. But if the mobs were running around because tank couldn’t keep aggro off of your AoE, well this isn’t Retail buddy and tanks struggle with aggro and you should deal with it.

Your post has an “entitled” I’m not gonna do what they say tone, I’d just kick you instead if I was a grp leader.

By the way why even take a mage for a normal run, if it’s not spellcleave? All mages I’ve ran with do a quarter of tank’s damage with their sh1tty frostbolt spam, otherwise they get aggro with their AoE, and when the pull is over they sit down to drink lol. Maybe it improves later but im 31 and never saw a mage outdps a tank. Would take rogue/hunter any day.

If you want a smooth aoe run you should just have a pala tank. It’s a bit finding a needle in the haystack but that’s mechanics of classic. Paladins are the only tank that can keep aggro on 5+ mobs consistently without sweating or resorting to strange out of class tricks.

Open the pull by novaing the mobs right next to the tank. That means barring melee overaggro, the mobs are forced to hit the tank for a while, even if the healer overaggros. Then single skull down. After that, AoE might be more practical to do (at least CoC weaving).

That said, the job of the tank isn’t to maximize his rage intake or he might as well take off his armor. If the group is half-coordinated, you should be able to AoE down a bunch of non-elites while the tank worries about the elites. Just don’t start some circus where you end up facetanking the elites.

1 Like

why dont you make a tank and see how it is? Yes tanks are precious, because they “sacrifise” solo efficiency in order to be the group people that needed for dungeons and raids.

Also aggro in vanilla is difficult and tanks dont have enough tools for aoe threat, especially warriors. He play tank because he likes to be in control of the fight… if he wanted to be a lol aoe class he would play mage and then everybody would cry that there are no tanks for dungeons.

He got to the last boss with you, I would have leave in the second pull. I want my runs to go smooth and easy, not stressing myself to keep aoe aggro because you want to lol aoe have fun. If it needs to be aoed because of mechanics I will do it of course…

again if you dont like it, make a tank and go tank.

5 Likes

I would kick you after 2nd unheard message in chat “We work Scull Cross, you can start aoe on the middle of Cross HP. Do not **** my brain”. I macroed this message and spam in the beggining of each dungeon. Or leave my self. Play for war tank and you understand why. PS I have to worry even my guild RDPS since they want ещ spam multishot or some other crap aoe on the pull. You have to understand that MAIN tanks goal on the pull is to hold healer’s agro, Then you need like 7-10 sec to agro properly pack of 4-5 mobs.

Maybe he thought that he was playing an early version of EverQuest?

Is there a lack of tanks in Classic?

Warriors, Paladins and even Druids and Shamans can tank.

If you were AOE spamming, why would you bring a tank anyway? Its impossible for them to do their job and they contribute nothing to the DPS

The tank was right.

Simply because he is the leader. If you don’t like it, you lead. But you need to roll a tank for that.

I never tanked outside guild, except in early leveling phases. Once lvl 50, I stopped tanked for any groups that is not guild only.

Reason : they are listening to me.

As someone said previously, roll a tank, and start tanking for random groups. You will immediately understand WHY tanks are “precious”.

Who is more entitled, the tank or people who think that he can’t leave a group he doesn’t want to play with?

Also, ragetanking AOE groups has got to be the most infuriating experience I’ve gone through in any incarnation of this game.

Gave up even levelling my warrior because of people like the OP.

6 Likes

Mass AoE spam works in lower level dungeons because it doesn’t really matter if you have a tank or not, but later on when the mobs get tougher it’s better to do single target DPS. Each pack gets exponentially easier for the tank and healer as soon as one enemy is burst down, which is a lot more beneficial and less stress inducing than slowly killing everyone. Warriors don’t really have great tools for holding AoE threat either, unless they are Arms specced and tanking with a 2h.

Even then it is not great.

WW is not available in defensive stance (where you get additional threat).
WW only hits 4 targets.
Sweeping strikes, only hits an additional target 5 times.
Cleave only hits 2 targets.
So on 5+ targets…

Most 2h tanking works by the warrior just doing the most damage to all targets, which can get hard once you are 5+ targets.

Thanks for everyone’s input, all taken on board, I play differently now, had a smooth run of ST today with a warrior tank.

I forgot I did play a tank for a while and how annoying the dps were :smiley:

Still didn’t win that damn kilt though!

2 Likes

I’m re-rolling tank at the moment, and so far the worst groups are mages that refuse to CC or follow a kill order. I’m fine with AoE, but not every single pack needs to be AoE’d. I don’t tell my group to do something to be rude, mean or to pretend like I’m a know it all. I just want smoother runs, with less chance of wiping.
Hope you have a good one :slight_smile: Almost 60! Good luck.

3 Likes

Well, if the tank was a druid, then their AoE tanking ability would’ve been basically 0. I can understand why they got frustrated.

It’s possible that they were more careful than they needed to be, but when the tank tells you to do something, nine times out of ten, you should just do it.
Even if they were technically wrong, it just leads to less drama and a more pleasant time for everyone involved.

1 Like

we play diffent games. Bear spams swipe and hold 4-6 aoe tergets from 2 sec from pull. Bears are famous for being better tanks then wars for dungeons while leveling

1 Like

You are supposed to use CC and use a kill order and it goes faster this way. A tank taking damage needs less healing than a dps taking dmg so it’s crucial that the tank tanks the mobs so that the healer doesn’t need to drink after every fight and make you wait 30s for that. I hope things are less confusing now, that is why the tank and the healer wants to follow a kill order and CC strategy.

Me, I just run in and spam swipe and hope theres a lot of aoe so everything dies fast. If theres gonna be more than 6 mobs, maybe CC something. Sometimes I throw in a skull and a cross if it’s hard. But never, ever never, don’t pull before the tank, unless it’s a pat on the right spot, or if it’s been discussed. If I lose aggro at the start, I can’t get it back because I get no rage if I don’t take damage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.