Propositions about Rare mounts farm

Hello everyone, i wanted to share an idea about rare mounts farm in Wow.

I am, as many other players, investing quite some time in farming mounts with such a low drop rate that it can get quite frustrating, as you do not have any guarantee that you will ever get them someday.

For that reason, i think it could be a good thing to add a system that would let the player work towards the mount. We could, for instance, obtain a token on world or raid bosses which could be traded for the mount after obtaining enough of them.

These tokens would be specific to each mount, and you would need an amount so that a 1% mount drop would require a 100 of these tokens (and a mount with a 0.1% drop chance would require 1000 of them).

With this system, and having these tokens account-bound (so players would not be obligated to farm on only 1 character), would prevent people form facing a depressing endless farm that could lead to no reward at all.

I would like to specify that this system should be limited only to world boss, raid boss and rare mobs.

I don’t mind players getting lucky and droping mounts at first try, but I get frustrated when i have tried hundreds of time and still haven’t got it.

Would you guys like to see a system like that appear in the game? Is it killing the fun of chasing mounts? I would love to know what you think about it!

Have a great day everyone

7 Likes

I’d rather have them code in an increasing drop rate after a certain number of attempts, to make it nearly foolproof.

E.g. like they increased drop rates for essences from paragon boxes.

So, say, an item has a 0,2% drop? You’d be 100% guaranteed to get it at your 500th attempt if you didn’t get it earlier.

A slighter drop rate increases after 250 attempts (halfway, so an increase to 0,4% maybe?) would also be nice, but even just knowing there is a magical number of attempts for which I shall be rewarded would certainly keep me going in the same grinds for years.

8 Likes

Depends on the mount. Mounts that had their drop rate reduced post expansion, no. They should remain hard to get. Best example of this being raiding mounts.

Honestly I think id only like bad luck protection on rares as they are not always up. Waiting an hour for a rare to spawn sucks. However running an old raid at least requires you to participate.

Tokens or currency however is a horrible idea

Edit: alsi less mounts that require farming l, and more achievement related mounts like metas or interesting challenges. Repeatedly killing a rare isnt fun

Only if the tokens have a 1 in 10 chance to drop too.

1 Like

Multiply those prices by 10 and/or have them only drop from the boss which would drop the mount (assuming that’s not what you meant anyway)

In a similar vein to what Urthol said, maybe only on popular farming mounts (such as invincible, Ashes of Al’ar and the TLPD).

A better suggestion would be to simply let us trade mounts with other players, by making them both ”binds when used” and the option to unlearn a mount similar to how pets are traded.

The only downside to this would be the bots who would farm certain raid mounts 24/7, and eventually make the mounts not worth anything. But if so they need to be more harsh with banning them quicker and not in waves.

1 Like

Yes because that last bit will happen.

Not much fun for the rare either :frowning:

6 Likes

As soon as you bring any sort of system that makes it a certainty for the mount to drop the following will happen.

It ceases to be a rare mount, the whole point of it being a random low chance drop is what makes it rare.

The bosses will get farmed by bots who will spam trade and everywhere else with WTS token farming spam.

People will start spamming the forums whining that you need too many tokens/they aren’t 100% drop/Bosses are too hard etc. etc.

4 Likes

No, god no, if that happens im done with mount collecting for good -.- No mount would ever be special anymore if anyone can get it… Any mount that is a guarantee is NOT rare! Nobody would be impressed by Invincible/Felsteel Annihilator etc. If they were that common to get…

2 Likes

It’s odd to judge something based on the number of people who don’t have it.

4 Likes

It’s how things are valued IRL though (to a degree). If everyone is a millionaire for instance your country is in deep :poop:

It is not odd.
Are you impressed by people running around with the base faction mount?

Does laughing when I see a Tauren on a goblin trike count?

EDIT: oooo 2020th post.

while i agree that something should be done to increase drop rate of collectibles, including mounts, after a certain amount of tries, tokens would be bad. think how many mounts fall in this category? you’d need to create maybe two dozen+ new currencys. this is far too messy.

this would be much better. basically, bad luck protection.

isn’t TLPD 100%? its just finding it is the issue due to long spawn time, multiple spawn points, long patrol paths and sharing spawn with another rare.

nope, as you mentioned, this would flood the game with bots and ruin the ecconomy, as if it wasn’t already. keep mounts BoA. im not sure what to suggest about mounts that can still drop even if you’ve already learnt it, like the tanann jungle ones from the boxes.

and you (and others) base a mounts worthiness and special-ness on being lucky rolling a dice? i would rather base it on how nice it looks. this is one part of the problem that will make this issue maybe never addressed. people are basing a lot of mounts worth solely on how hard the mount is to get via RNG, rather than how nice the mount actually looks.

and lets not forget, in some cases we’re talking of mounts over a decade old. barons mount is 15 years old, ashes is 13, invincible, VoA, mimirons head are 11. even the HFC mount is nearly 5 years old. this isn’t recent content. do you really begrudge someone some pixels from years ago?

even if such a system as above is implemented, it will still take some work to get mounts. but i think killing a mob, or clearing a dungeon more than a hundred times with no reward is a bit counter productive. i know some people are on the thousands of kills with MoP world bosses, but take the SoO mount for example. that is a pain to farm as the dungeon takes nearly an hour for 1 attempt as there is no skip, is prone to reset bugs, have long boss/rp encounters and can be dangerous if you are not geared enough, even though it is from 4 expansions ago.

lets be honest though, most base faction mounts are meant to be bland, and the first mount you get, just to get you moving faster. they are not impressive not because of their ease of acquirement, but because the mount itself is actually not that special. that said, the ochre undead mount is very nice looking imo.

lets not forget, collectibles is now a specific part of the game, with 15 years worth of content. having to face rng on E.V.E.R.Y. S.I.N.G.L.E. I.T.E.M. in the game is a bit unfair.

2 Likes

I think this is a problem for everyone getting into collecting thing super late in general and not only in WoW.

I parked like 20 character in front off ICC/Karazhan/Tempest Keep to ge the mounts.

But i don’t think this is a reason to just handle everything to anyone.

If everyone could get a ‘‘rare’’ mount through deterministic farming then it wouldn’t be a rare mount now would it.

It would just be a tedious mount, the snapback scuttler from nazjatar isn’t rare, just time consuming.

1 Like

It is, I was just using it to illistrate would would constitute a “rare mount” for the purposes of my idea.

People talk about ‘effort’ of acquiring a mount drop… as though someone lucking out on the first few attempts put more effort than someone who’s put in years.

Commitment should be rewarded too…

5 Likes

This is not completely true tho.
Even parking X alt in front of a raid entrance is just a time consuming things.

Those Achi mount are rare too to a certain extent because not everyone will bother with doing all the time consuming things.

Like not everyone will have the determination to farm a mount with ton of alt every week.

1 Like