Protection Paladin

I am reliant on PUG’s I don’t have a group of friends that play this game and I have got up to doing +18 keys and found it next to impossible to actually get into a group.

I watch what does get invited and its just protection paladin over and over again.

Clearly there is a balance issue and looking at raider io tanks list its just pages of pink with the odd spot of orange, brown and purple and sometimes green.

Why is it that there is always one tank far better than the rest? can’t they just be balanced and left TF alone?

As a solution its clear that the rest of the tanks need to be buffed as I don’t agree with nerfing one to make it crap like the rest. Plus it just ruins the game for people who have invested time into gearing a protection paladin because as soon as these two words are mentioned in the patch notes “protection paladin - nerfed” then the meta slaves will never invite them to groups again.

So I suggest that the rest of the tanks are buffed, for example the warrior could do with the 25% leech being returned.

You’re falling into the trap of thinking representation equates to performance.

If a prot pala is 1% better than the others it will attract 99% of the high pushers. In reality the difference is negligible.

I’m not saying prot isn’t great atm, but you’re drawing the wrong conclusions. Every tank has timed every key on a 20 and we’re only in the first week.

last season we had tank shortage, now we have healer shortage, so you will not get autoinvite as tank anymore.

pala tank currently is miles ahead of every other tank and not only because of survivability but also in every other aspect.

pala can cheat mechanics, has poison and disease dispel which is great in several dungeons has off healing in a meta where we need a metric ton of healing. prot palas also dont need a healer and can save group members at clutch moments as well.
on top he has brez which cannot be better located than on a tank b3cause usually tanks are always the last one standing in df.
to round it off, it has one of the highest dmg in instant aoe threat generation of all tanks.

why take any other tank if you can choose?

i play brewmaster btw. last season i played prot pala and at times when my group is failing left and right i can just stand and watch them die. as prot pala i was able to carry a lot of dead weight, as brew no vhance

1 Like

what is more likely you pushed really hard but are behind with gear compared to people who also raid hc and mythic.

do you have all dungoens timed on 17s ? if notthen thats the case too

Prot paladin always had a great toolkit for M+. It’s just that their survivability was a bit on the lower side in the past, at least in the hands of the average player. When DF released, Blizzard basically fixed most of their weak points, and they still had their strength which is damage and utility.
Personally I’m not going to reroll because I can do the content I am interested in just fine. But I get the frustration that people have with the current situation, especially if you mostly play by joining pugs.

1 Like

There isn’t a balance issue; there’s a community perception issue. If a large percentage of top tanks are playing prot pala because its slightly ahead in performance than other tanks, the people listing their keys seem to think that nothing but a prot pala will do.

In reality, those of us who play tanks know that (aside from the very highest keys run each season) any tank class can do the job, and whether or not a tank is suitable for a key is down to the person at the controls, not the class. I understand your frustration because I experienced the same thing in season 1 when groups didn’t want anything but a warrior, but I can’t see the situation changing any time soon.

The irony of it is that inviting the FOTM tank is much higher risk than taking a lesser played class because there’s a higher chance of getting someone who doesn’t know how to play it. But I tell people that and it always seems to fall on deaf ears.

1 Like

Exactly that : community perception .

Also these youtube tier videos for dps, tank, healers…people simply watch them and take that as the truth and “don’t take x and y in your group” .

I changed main healer this season from r-shaman to mistweaver. I could have gone for the S-tier, but I like a challenge. wow community is always more like “what is best now? I’ll play that”.

Me as a gamer, I need a challenge, and not an easy ride. And I will accept the consequences.

My main DPS is SV hunter, and you know what they say about them :slight_smile: . I think they’re so much fun.

Haven’t tanked yet, I’ll first learn the dungeons, but my tank is a guardian.

1 Like

Reading about all the things paladin tanks can do according to these forums, the ultimate challenge is going for S t tier and actually living up to the legends.

I play all tanks besides blood dk.

Everything compared to prot pala plays like a trashcan on wheels. sorry but prot pala is miles ahead in utility and how easy it is to suceed on it.

prot has a lot of fail free cards for pugs which will make it always the king.

how many times did i tank on my other tanks and can only watch my group die while on my pala i can just hard carry.

can you play all tanks on high level? Well i guess so doesnt make it less true that pala is the undisputed king by a mile

Prot pala has ALWAYS HAD that utility, but it hasn’t always been the most played tank, and it hasn’t always been the most likely to get invited to keys. For most of the time I’ve been playing tank (since late BfA), pala has been a mid-tier tank. Yes, it can bail out a group that’s playing badly, up to a point, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to get invited to keys if warrior or DH or druid (or whatever) is the current meta and being played by the very top groups.

As for it being easy to succeed, I guess it’s pretty easy to help your group out in relatively low keys where you can afford to help out with off healing and defensives for your team, but once you actually get to a level where you need that stuff to keep yourself alive, the potential to save the group goes down.

actually no, it did not always had this utility.

new stuff:
divine toll aoe silence
blessing of spell protection
battle rez

insane healing sepending on the patch or xpac we talking about.

like i said, prot pala is the king of pugs, no matter the meta unless it flops over compared to any other tank.

getting invited as any tank hasnt been a problem so far. i assume that would change once you play far above the +20 keys when you start playing with the toxic mess again.

Prot pala has always had access to blessing of spellwarding. You just used to have to give up blessing of protection to get it (which was a fair exchange because dungeons where you use both are rare).

And Blizz has always been pretty clear (in their development actions even if they haven’t said anything on the subject) that WoW is not intended to be played as a ‘solo’ game and tuning isn’t done to suit people who prefer to play with randoms rather than groups of friends.

An easy balancing change would be to increase consecrate’s cooldown. i.e. Nerf 100% uptime on consecrate and by extension the permanent mastery buff. This has a number of knock on effects that will reduce tankiness and dps.

Or, just nerf Paladin damage to the bottom of the pile.

Also, while we’re here… Blessed Hammer should not generate Holy Power if it fails to hit a hostile target. The current gameplay of spamming hammer between pulls because it’s free Holy Power is just nonsense.

Raider IO 50 ranked BDK are between 2,7k-2,8k rio
Raider IO 50 ranked VDH are between 2,6k -2,8k rio
Raider IO 50 ranked Druids are between 2,6k -2,9k rio
Raider IO 50 ranked Monks are between 2,7k - 2,9k rio
Raider IO 50 ranked warrios are between 2,6k - 2,9k rio
Raider IO 50 ranked Paladins are between 2,8k -3,1k rio

Is that a big difference?
because all of those tanks cleared 20 and higher
I don’t see any problem

There isn’t a problem outside community perception. It’s sad that people think the solution to FOTM tanks is to nerf classes into the ground rather than educate the community.

Theyve had divine toll for 2 years. Theyve had spellwarding forever.

Keep rewriting history.

1 Like

You are not good enough on any tank to push keys like the best players anyway, I don’t see how it affects you. If you are someone capable of pushing for the 0.1% title the yes I would roll protection paladin.

then wht prot pala can basically play dungeons solo?
if you wouldnt just need a little more dps because lol 5 man content, you really wouldnt need anyone.

the amount of times you are able to just run down the dungeon with four potatos next to you doesnt work with other tanks

so basically 10% of wows life time.
you must be trolling is you call this “forever”

i played prot pala since woltk, it it never was as strong as now, not even close.
so i dont know what you are arguing.
as someone who always played prot to get easy and quick ksm and above i can just say that prot for these cases is beyond busted compared to other tanks.
the keys that brick because of noobs on my pala are lower than on all my other tanks, what a surprise.
once people get better the value of prot reduces slightly but as seen still the top dog in the highest keys for various reasons.
and you probably also want to tell me unlimited spell interuptions are also not bustet?

also just because something existed for quite a while doesnt mean it is fine forever. other classes change, the game changes, the difficulty changes and sometimes there have to be made adjustments

What planet are you living on? The last pack in FH demolished me on a +18 yesterday with the whole team alive. I’d blown through every CD I had, including bubble, procced Valkyr and the AD ‘cheat death’, and there was still one mob alive when I died (fortunately the healer had his finger on the cr button and we didn’t wipe). Yeah, sure, if my group had managed bolstering better and not killed everything else just in time to leave one mob alive and bolstered to hell with enough HP to kill me before they finished it off, I might not have died, but the notion that prot pala can ‘play dungeons solo’ is absurd, and you know it is.

But perhaps you’re talking about normal dungeons. Yeah, that must be it. Any tank can play normal dungeons solo.

For most of that time, prot pala was a middle of the pack tank. It’s spent most of its lifetime middle of the pack or lower, so I guess you’re used to it being there. Now that it’s doing well, you want to push it back down. Pretty common human behaviour, to be honest. I have no idea why, but humans get scared when something that’s ‘always been this way’ changes.

Absolutely. Just because prot pala was middle of the pack for ‘quite a while’ doesn’t mean it is fine for ever. It deserves its time in the sun. I’m glad there’s something we can agree on.

Could you learn to read if you’re going to dissect my replies. Nowhere did I say 2 years was forever, but spellwarding has been in game far longer than that.