PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Think people are huffing a bit of Copium here. Yes, Blizzard are in dire straits as far as public opinion is concerned, but given that it didn’t stop people from playing the Diablo 2 remake and that there’s still a market for WoW, they won’t abandon the IP anytime soon. Worst case scenario they’ll abandon the retail version as we know it and focus more on the type of stuff they’re making for the Classic crowd with seasons, “fresh” and so on, but World of Warcraft won’t die just like that. It doesn’t need to be a good game to be profitable.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it copium, it’s more like hopium. Hope that the game will end instead of continuously being made worse and worse.

I do agree that WoW isn’t going anywhere though. I’d say you should expect to see more monetization tactics thrown into the game though.

New expansions always sell too, so expect more collectors editions where you pay even more for less.

4 Likes

hoping it dies is a bit grim tbh, especially because of all the people still on AD RPing and enjoying that

4 Likes

Everquest had like a new expansion last year or the year before. Wow will likely still exist when I’m nearing my deathbed.

I don’t hope wow dies, but I’m hoping the issues that have reared of late finally make the devs old and new, make something we can truly enjoy again.

1 Like

lmao (pic on full tweet)

1 Like

Yep, did happen in BFA too.

The whole knife wife quest went kaput.

So did a few others that I knew should’ve been there but were not anymore.

1 Like

“How about we implement the skip all the players have been asking for?”
“Better idea: delete the quests entirely so no one can play them and new players are utterly lost. I am a genius.”

9 Likes

Ehh nevermind…

Can’t be bothered anymore with the whole story anyways.

Just auto-complete all the quests

That entire thing is and has been and continues to be such a utterly stupid and bad decision that I don’t know if anyone involved in the process knows anything at all about storytelling.

I don’t even know if they are human. It is such a complete lack of basic, simple fundamental thought process.

3 Likes

All the questions left COMPLETELY unanswered so far, the basic fundamentals aren’t even properly done in Shadowlands. Shoddy work all of this is.

7 Likes

Imagine if all books in the world had about 30-40% of their pages disintegrated/ripped out after an arbitrary time-limit had passed since their first publications. All future published versions would also ship without these pages.

Or if movies did the same thing, but where the footage got deleted instead.

It’s so illogical.

2 Likes

They’re not taking any questions until they can buy their way out of the lawsuit(s) and really, the rest of blizzcon(line) is just advertising and with production stalled by scandal and employees playing CoD at work among other things, especially management’s extraction by squeezing more for less from fewer hands at work, there’s not much to show.

It’s been Blizzard’s favorite thing to do since Cataclysm. It’s easy to forget since a lot of Cataclysm looks like it was written by the Borderlands team given how many garbage memes and pop culture references are in there, but a lot of the zones and storylines were also direct sequels to unresolved quests in vanilla.

Quests that you couldn’t access anymore.

Would have been logical to either not permanently remove a massive amount of content or add WoW classic so there was still a way to visit the old world.

8 Likes

Yeah, they also deleted half of MoP and WoD’s plot by messing with the legendary questlines. It’s nothing new but the current method is to strip the expansion so new and returning players don’t have to grind for 6 weeks to catch up with current content.

Come next expansion, all plot relevant quests up to the last raid will be removed by the end so we can get right to the raid which is all that really seems to matter.

2 Likes

I dunno when they removed it but I do remember them getting rid of the Battle for Undercity (you know, a major story event involving a lot of critical characters) around that sorta time…

I just don’t get it: They put in all this work and then ctrl+a delete it. For what? Who does it serve to make the game have less content?

3 Likes

It’s weird because the Wrathgate still exists, but new players see that cutscene and the events and have no context for the fallout of what is framed to be a major betrayal.

You just kind of move on to the next set of quests.

6 Likes

Why look at old when you can look at new?
Blizzard company motto.

3 Likes

No wonder alot of Blizz workers have come out about how they feel underappreciated.

That along with the abuse and harassment. Just imagine how soul-crushing it has to be to be part of a team building up a pretty big part of the game only for someone else just remove it forever for no reason.

1 Like

Weirdly the motto of Alex Afrasiabi at conventions too. It’s all connected.