PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

The new models look aweso

Wait, why are there Light Undead? Wasn’t one lore aberration enough?

2 Likes

Hardcore…

…I guess you do dare?

Just don’t change your forum character kk

5 Likes

The perspective of an Arcanital affords what’s bound to be a complex swirl of rancour, morbid dread and resolve.

The city first settled by the descendants of the 100 (insert Amani roasting on a fire here), which has hindered attempts of regaining troll dominion as recently as the Isle of Thunder has now been wrenched from the sky - that floating symbol of the hubris of wizardry, which resulted in the Sundering of the world and the loss of the old continent the trolls once ruled…

Achieved by the descendants of the Aqir- the oldest enemy of trollkind, once thought to have been buried into obscurity. A grudge settled by the arachnid mandibles of an enemy that, in-turn, no doubt bears memory of /their/ humiliation at the hands of trollkind - achieving what the trolls didn’t for thousands of years, overwhelming the awesome power of mortal mages.

What reckoning awaits the Zandalari should the nerubians become ascendant? Perturbed, exhilarated - a pivotal character moment awaits Torkazi!

10 Likes

You could make a thread about this. I think your head canon here could be a good prompt for others to consider.

3 Likes

On a serious note, I, too, would be interested to see other due considerations on the ramifications of a center-piece of the setting - even before WC3 - being destroyed so brazenly.

3 Likes

GordonRamsey.gif

Juicy. I love it, thank you.

4 Likes

See, now that’s a beautiful one. And I’ll be honest, I briefly forgot the impact the mages have had on trolls as a race as well! Not to mention the Nerubians as descendants of the Aqir that trolls have fought so long ago.

I suppose that’s what I’ve been trying to say, even if your char does not like Dalaran, there should atleast be some reaction.

Desartin for instance does not have many ties to Dalaran since he is a paladin, but he knows people who have worked and lived there, and he’s seen them in action, fighting both in Northrend aswell as on the Broken Isles. And Khadgar’s pretty much a known hero. Their losses will definetly have an effect on him.

I remember back when the Broken Shore took place, there was a thread on the old forums where people wrote their short-stories about how that particular defeat affected their characters. Might be a fun idea to do that again when this happens.

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m not certain how much of an impact it will have on my character.

He was born shortly before the Dark Portal opened again, a year before Dalaran took to the sky and went to Northrend, so he doesn’t really think of it as a city that recovered from destruction.

He’s never been to Dalaran (at least not yet) and he’s only ever heard of it through second-hand accounts, as some sort of nebulous neutral force that’s home to some of the world’s most powerful people. Nothing that has ever happened there has had a direct impact on his life either, so he’s never had much reason to think about it.

His reaction to this news might be similar to my reaction to 9/11 as a European child. It was an absolutely catastrophic event that changed the course of history, but I wasn’t able to comprehend the enormity of what happened or what the consequences would be. It was something that had happened on another continent, in a country that I had never been to and didn’t know much about.

There might be a moment of wide-eyed shock but as he doesn’t really know much about Dalaran or feel strongly about it at all, I find it hard to justify him being horrified by the city’s destruction. It’s just too disconnected from his life for it to matter much to him, and I imagine that this might be true for a bunch of other characters.

5 Likes

What??

I like it tho! Big fan! Now we wait for other visage forms, night elf form for worgen etc!

Which is why Mordi said it should’ve been a/the neutral city, not that it was!

1 Like

Also, can’t link them atm bur what does everygnome think of the Skardyn appearance? Or the Light undeath?

Lin would definitely feel for the denizens of Dalaran. She doesn’t have a lot of ties to it herself, but after witnessing the Vale of Eternal Blossoms ravaged by the same Void two times in quick succession she would understand how devastating an event it is for a nation and how hard it can be to recover from it, especially when the rest of Azeroth helps sporadically if at all and the most that could be hoped for is avenging the dead.

On the other hand, the figure of Xal’atath behind this calamity would cause a complicated reaction from a follower of N’Zoth. It would certainly make sense to destroy one of Azeroth’s centers of power during the rebuilding of the Black Empire, but with how complicated and long-termed the plans of the Old Gods often are (Lin heard enough about the knaifu to treat her as one in all but personal power), and how little has been done in terms of recruiting new cultists, for a moment it would probably be the best to not jump to conclusions and act as any normal Pandaren would: helping where possible without getting involved too deep.

2 Likes

Kinda big difference between losing a province vs your entire nation :wink:

When this one province is the reason the whole continent hasn’t known famine for ten millenia, the difference is not that big.

The Skardyn does not look what I imagined them as - Though these aren’t the exact same as those described in Grim Batol, so I can forgive the lack of dwarven features as these may have come by entirely different means. They are called Deviant Skardyn, at least those I saw. But honestly just stoked to have them in the game.

I do wonder if it’s intentional that the model uses the same model rig to be close to that of other underground dwellers from Highmountain.

4 Likes

Finally a recolor off the Nightborne staff!

6 Likes

It’s rather disappointing that they pass it off as a Kirin Tor staff, though. Maybe they should just have updated the staff guard npcs use.

9 Likes

It may be that the Kirin Tor has started to use NB weaponry too.

Alternatively, developers have no idea about the worldbuilding of Warcraft and this is an obvious problem: looking at you, Queen Calia.

I. . .think its just meant to be a cool weapon model used as a pre-patch gear boost item. I don’t think its too deep or intentionally malicious. There’s no point in them designing new kirin-tor-esque weapons for a pre-patch event.

5 Likes

Suppose lorewise you could explain it away with trade of knowledge and items between Suramar and Dalaran, since they were basicly neighbours for 7-ish years?

1 Like