PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

I still believe Battle for Azeroth was intended as one last hurrah for faction division, with a big move towards consolidating the factions since then. One advantage of this for Blizzard is that it halves the workload for some of their departments - only one capital, don’t have to create two separate questing experiences for two different expansions, etc.

So I do think that we’ll probably get a single capital, likely Silvermoon, maybe with a grumpy “the blood knights are watching u…” debuff for Alliance players.

1 Like

As said, it’d be good if western ruins were used as helf enclave. And definitely added some thing for velves, DHs, warlocks and other types not quite welcome near the Sunwell.

1 Like

But it is fine doing it to the new Kaldorei Capital?

3 Likes

Yes, because Blizzard hates Night Elves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When did I say that?

While it’s no Darnassus, between the new Night Elf location on Amirdrassil, and Gilneas being repopulated as per the PTR, I can think of at least two new locations with portal connections to Quel’Thalas in Midnight.

I think it’s damage control at this point, after not having known how to write a decent Night Elf story for so very long.

I jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly, sorry.

Also, I sure hope Alliance will be allowed in the revamped Undercity. That is a thread I am going to enjoy to read.

1 Like

“it was always Alliance territory”

3 Likes

What? Tauren were part of both, I don’t think Elegy mentioned any race-specific Shamans, but besides Orcs, Horde has always had Troll and Tauren Shamans, there are also Tauren Kodo Riders etc.

If Tauren Druids are allowed in, Troll Druids should just as well as both have ties with Cenarion Circle.

I’m not sure what your argument is. Finel doesn’t have a unique model in terms of having a unique model for being a named NPC, she has a unique model because there haven’t been Night Elf children models at all in WoW before. The ones from BfA are using Nightborne child models, for example.

Better argument would’ve just been to compare child models between races, where up until now neither Night Elves nor Trolls had child models outside of Allied Race appereances (Nightborne and Zandalari respectively, funny how both are Horde races! Clear bias!!!). Now Night Elves do.

The ‘X gets a unique model before half the Horde leaders do!’ can go for literally everything else in the game as well. Random lizard race never seen before in WoW got a unique model before half the Horde leaders did.

Can’t wait for Finel to be used by Blizzard to finally set in stone the ‘adult’ rite of passage ages for Night Elves and collectively cause every Night Elf community with their own ideas and headcanons to burst.

3 Likes

At this rate it seems more than likely to happen. For all I know I could be wrong, and Silvermoon practically (if not lorewise) being a neutral city in Midnight as well. So far the Horde can access both Amirdrassil’s town, as well as Gilneas, without being attacked on the PTR. They even acknowledge it with a debuff and NPC monologue.

For what its worth, Hamuul and other tauren druids were allowed to Darnassus’s Cenarion Enclave as well for druid business according to Stormrage. This isnt exactly a new thing.

I do not mind that direction, just feels very wrong that the new NE home is the first city to start it.

I don’t disagree. If any race had recent cause to reject the idea of such hospitality, it would be the Night Elves imho.

1 Like

Indeed.

The older novels were a lot less ‘If you are X race Y can not happen.’ than these days. You had stuff like the Horde sending ambassadors to the funeral of Magni, Thrall having humans spying for him, and tauren canonically visiting Darnassus as part of the Cenarion circle.

Pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere(I think Elegy or the Horde POV) that Sylvanas sends Baine & the Taurens away to Silithus to investigate the wound created by the Sword of Sargeras, fixing her problem of having him involved in the initial assault on Ashenvale and Teldrassil…

I just assumed they meant all Tauren, because Taurens are bro’s and you’d think they learned from following Garrosh into Ashenvale the last war against the Night Elves

1 Like

And yet you see Taurens in War of Thorns army as well!

Oh, fair enough… Its been a long while since I actually did anything related to the War of Thorns events and surrounding media(short-stories) :weary:

1 Like

Sylvanas didn’t send Baine away, she just didn’t invite him, but it’s heavily implied that he knew what they were going to do (well, not counting burning Teldrassil, obvs)

A Good War.

Most of Orgrimmar had come out to watch the army depart. Curiosity ran high; the Horde did not fully understand what was so important about Silithus. Hopefully, the Alliance felt the same confusion.

A familiar face pushed through the milling soldiers toward Saurfang. The orc smiled broadly. “Old friend, it is good to see you,” Saurfang said.

Baine Bloodhoof, high chieftain of the tauren, clasped his arm firmly. “Off to war without me again?” he asked, mockingly grave.

“If you want to sit in the desert for a few months, you are welcome to join me,” Saurfang said lightly.

“Is that where you’re going?” Baine’s tone did not waver, but his eyes were ice.

Saurfang did not let himself show surprise. Baine knows the real plan, the orc realized. He didn’t know how, but the tone of the tauren’s voice made it clear he knew something. I need to stop underestimating him. This was Cairne’s son, after all, and no fool. “It will be over sooner than most think,” he said evenly.

“Most of the Horde doesn’t understand the goal of this mission. Or why it must be done now,” Baine said. Neither do I, he meant.

“I believe they will, very soon,” Saurfang said. “There is an opportunity now, and there is danger on the horizon. It is best to deal with it quickly.”

“And cleanly, I hope,” Baine said. “Tell me, is this your plan or the warchief’s?”

“Mine,” Saurfang said simply.

The tauren seemed relieved to hear it. “Then I wish you well. Fight with honor, friend. Lok‐tar ogar.”

“Lok‐tar,” Saurfang replied.

It was time to depart. Saurfang ordered the massive army caravan, with all of its carts and siege weapons and soldiers on foot, to begin its march. Baine stepped back, never taking his eyes off Saurfang, even as the caravan stretched out into the distance.

3 Likes

Imagine having depth and a spirited attempt at writing in-game :upside_down_face:

Didn’t they already show this with the Night elf heritage questline?

Sylvanas does agree to send Hamuul and the other tauren druids to the sword-wound when Magni crops up in Before the Storm to ask for it.

Or, rather, strictly Baine promises it and then Sylvanas agrees as part of her sneaky plans to be sneaky.

Before the Storm

Magni nodded at Baine, accepting the welcome, before he squared his
shoulders as he faced Sylvanas. He stabbed a diamond forefinger in her
direction. “I did,” he said, “an’ there’s much tae say. First, ye’ve got tae get
rid o’ yer little green men. They’re just makin’ a bad thing worse.”
Sylvanas had expected that. “They are investigating the area,” she said,
keeping her voice calm and mild.
“Nae, they’re not. They’re pokin’ and proddin’, and Azeroth doesn’t like it.
She needs tae heal—or she’s goin’ tae die.”
All present listened intently as the Speaker explained that Azeroth was in
agony, racked by pain that was slowly destroying her. Her very essence was
seeping to the surface, and this essence was powerful beyond imagining.
The last part, Sylvanas already knew. The first was troubling. “We’ve got
tae help ’er,” Magni said, his voice ragged, and this time she did not correct
him.
“Of course we must,” she said. This revelation could undo everything. “I
assume you will speak to the Alliance.”
“Already done,” Magni said, clearly hoping to reassure her. “Young
Anduin and th’ Explorers’ League, th’ Cenarion Circle, and th’ Earthen Ring
are goin’ tae be sending out teams tae Silithus soon.” The Magni Bronzebeard
who once had ruled Ironforge would never have revealed what this Speaker of
Azeroth just had. This was valuable information.
“Good,” said Baine. “We stand ready to do the same.”
He should not have spoken before his warchief, but Sylvanas was starting
to get an idea.
“High Chieftain Baine speaks for us all. What you have shared is grave
news indeed, Speaker. Of course, we will do what we can to help. In fact,”
she continued, “I would like to ask the tauren to organize the Horde
response.”
Baine blinked twice but otherwise gave no indication of how surprised he
doubtless was. “It will be an honor,” he said, and brought his fist to his heart
in a salute.
“Thank you for your warning, Speaker. We all exist on this precious world.
And as recent events have brought home to all of us, there are not many
places left for us to flee to should we destroy this one,” Sylvanas said.
“That’s…mighty enlightened o’ ye,” Magni allowed. “Right, then. Me task
is far from over. I know th’ members o’ the Horde and the Alliance both have
trouble imaginin’ that they aren’t the only people in the world. But there are
many other races I must warn. As ye say, Warchief, we all exist on this
precious world. Call off yer goblins. Or else we might be tryin’ tae find an
entirely new world tae call home.”

But with regards to the War of Thorns specifically, rather than Azerite in general, Baine was aware and tauren were part of the invasion force.

1 Like