PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Not sure about that either (and the whole “mud hut” angle is a bit weird considering the only examples of Horde mud huts that exist in the game are in Outland Nagrand) but there are masses of zones which feature the Horde and the Alliance on equal footing with well-established bases.

Hellfire Peninsula, Shadowmoon Valley, Dragonblight, Borean Tundra, Southern Barrens, Swamp of Sorrows, Blasted Lands, Feralas, Desolace, just to name a few prior to Mists of Pandaria.

1 Like

It’s not a sin, no, but I question projecting lore to them that so far doesn’t exist to paint them as the next new villain faction and how this ruins the Alliance which could have / should have had their role as the villains. Moreover, if they in turn don’t turn out into a villain faction, people will also complain about that because it didn’t meet their premature expectations for them. The arguments in this thread sound more like people coming up with things of their own making, and then being upset about what they just made up.

It’s way too early to be ascribing the Arathi as villains (who therefore steal from the Alliance), because the only villainous Arathi that we know of so far are literal Void worshiping traitors.

2 Likes

I will also say, I am not sure how many people would want to have MoRaLlY GrEy characters akin to Sylvanas in their faction.

Ideally, I want flaws, biases, but not ultra-evil warcrimer McJohn. I know I wouldn’t like that.

1 Like

Probably a reference to the Alliance/Horde outposts from BfA, if I had to guess.

The main Alliance flight points to Zandalar are a small ruin (Nazmir), a larger ruin with some tents (Vol’dun), and a small camp in Zuldazar.

The Horde ones are Warfang Hold in Stormsong Valley, Plunder Harbour in Tiragarde, and that outpost in Drustvar.

Then there’s the bonus ones which are mostly camps and caves.

Is it truly Warcraft expac talk if people aren’t pre-emptively disappointed in datamining and second-hand information?

2 Likes

Valgarde/Vengeance Landing, Valiance Keep/Warsong Hold, that Twilight Highland island thingy/Dragonmaw Port. All of these have some unbuilt or ruined stuff as the Alliance while Horde bases are fully constructed.

But I, with my galaxy brain, have figured out why that is: Blizzard for some reason hasn´t created ruined/in construction models of WotLK Horde buildings. They also, from Cata forward, started using those models for any new orc places while they kept mixing Vanilla and WotLK models for human places.

This meant that when Blizzard created comparable Alliance and Horde fortresses in new zones, the only way to make Horde one was to put in finished WotLK buildings. Meanwhile, Alliance bases had both the chance to include half-built stuff (WotLK models) or ruined stuff (Vanilla models), which resulted in situations where Horde instantly builds a fortress even during the span of the questing while Alliance never finishes building theirs.

(Also I think this is the sole reason why Nethergarde was destroyed and Okri´lon Hold survived, they didn´t have ruined model for the orc fortress)

6 Likes

Wish they stuck with this aesthetic for human stuff, the tavern is really comfycore.

3 Likes

Small brain: Arathi Empire
Big brain: Morally gray Alliance
Universe Brain: Bilgewater Cannon gets fired.

Welcome to AD forums. Where half the posters who are upset don’t even play.

Twilight Highlands, Stranglethorn (both zones), Badlands, Stormsong Valley vs pick any Alliance “base” in Zuldazar, Ashenvale (ok, the Alliance has 1 base, a town and a tower or two vs 3 Horde fortresses), the southern Barrens, and there’s prolly more examples but these are from the top of my head.

I wasn’t really hype about the Arathi Empire, but dunno man the more I let it cook the more #hype I get about it.

That said I do hope they get influence in the human nations that they turn the Alliance more antagonistic.

https://vxtwitter.com/MrGMYT/status/1786430232376840351

Dwarves are gunna have a good time with assets this expansion for sure.

Dwarves just can’t stop winning…

Bronzebeard dwarves, Wildhammer dwarves, Dark Iron dwarves, Alliance earthen, Horde earthen, magni back, future High-King of the dwarves Dagran Thaurissan II has a model.

Only missing the frostborn so far!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMnmizPbMAAqliD?format=png&name=small

A whole nation of half-elves. Stormwind RPers are going to have a field day.

1 Like

There are four Horde settlements in Ashenvale, which three would you classify as “fortresses,” exactly?

Do the seven sturdy dwarven structures of Thundermar really only count as a “handful of tents?”

I should point out that the Horde also has almost no significant presence in Tiragarde Sound either, just some pirates who allow them through their den after some shenanigans. Drustvar has a minor Horde presence, just like Nazmir has a minor Alliance presence, and Vol’dun has a fortified Alliance base to match the fortified Horde base in Stormsong.

You’re right about the Alliance settlements in Stranglethorn and Badlands being mostly tent-based, but I think that you might have been resorting to a little hyperbole when you stated that “basically every zone with both Horde and Alliance bases has massive fortresses for the Horde and a few tents for the Alliance.”

“I am not Half Elf [name], I am Arathi” makes me cringe and I can’t quite put my finger on why.

It could be because it reminds me of the similar line in Mass Effect 3 regarding protheans.

2 Likes

The whole Half-Elven thing just does not add up…

And I really dislike it

1 Like

Calling it, Arator , the son of Turalyon and Alleria becomes the Arathi Emperor.

3 Likes

Obviously as he is the most half elf of half elves

1 Like

I mean, I can understand them.

In the past, the empire was inhabited by humans and elves, but now they have merged into one people. It makes no sense for them to call themselves “half-elves” rather than some new word, any more than it makes sense for modern French people to call themselves Gallo-Romans.

1 Like

This goes against keeping yer feet on the ground!!! but that is pretty cool, no golem mount but close enough.

1 Like

I don’t know, ethnic groups foregoing their identity in favor of the nation seems more like something the Empire from Star Wars would do.

Or terrible Californian writers.

1 Like