PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Who knows, at this point I tend to work off what I know/experience in game, because trying to keep track of the “Oh hey, we put all the Important OTHER lore in freaking non-game books, have fun!” is a thankless task.

There’s nothing to suggest the Sunwell manga was de-canonised (yet).

Fair, I’m probably thinking of the comic/manga with Medan (:nauseated_face:) in then, no worries.

Med’an’s existence has been effectively de-canonised by way of shoving him in a closet to be forgotten about, though he is still canon. The only events in his comic that got officially de-canonised is that he no longer became the Guardian of Tirisfal. Everything else (Cho’Gall, C’thun, etc.) is still true+real.

As it stands, Medivh is still the Last Guardian.

3 Likes

I don´t think it´s an issue because identity is something made up that even in real life isn´t tied to biological differences. To an Arathi elf, being elf is something secondary that isn´t part of their identity. It´s the Arathi part they identify with and.
To elves from Quel´Thalas, being an elf is centerpiece of their identity. To elves from Arathi Empire, it may have the same value as being left or right handed might have to us.

When Quel´Thalas left the Alliance after Second War, there were some high elves who said “Nope, don´t care” and remained with the humans (tangent, my headcanon is that these elves form the majority of current high elves because the brief period of manasucking as reason for the split really doesn´t hold the candle 15 years after it ended).
I´d imagine that the elves that left with the Arathi to distant lands were even more extreme versions, the most “I like humans” of all elves compared to whom even your average high elf would feel like the greatest Quel´Thalas fanboy.

But attributed to Garona now.

She was always there so doesn’t really change anything.

Kinda wild that they formed the Azeroth Avengers in the comic and then never did anything with them as a group again - Med’an, Garona, Valeera, Broll, Meryl, Hamuul, Jaina, Rehgar and Rohan are all still alive and kicking.

You’d think ‘multiracial multidiscipline group dedicated to safety of Azeroth’ would have gotten more play as the ‘core party’ of characters we’re following but they opted to drop it instead.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m just saying that even the parts that Med’an did are now 100% Garona. They took him out of the story and made it all Garona.

The only Avengers Assemble team up I want to see are the Durotar All-Stars. Give me Rexxar, Rokhan and Chen team up. I want to see them rock Xal’atath’s socks off.

4 Likes

Just hearthstone things.

4 Likes

The elves being conspicuously weird and aggressive about racemixing in the past may well have led them to cut their losses and exiling all these perverted human-lovers.

1 Like

@Moridunum I’m convinced both by your comments as well as Levey’s. I’m not sure how to feel now.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, this is players patching up worldbuilding holes that Blizzard itself should have addressed.

7 Likes

I am not, though? Am I?

We know how Lor’themar Theron feels about Half-Elves, and we also know Half-Elves are(or were) extremely rare.

We also know that Alodi, an earlier example of an Half-Elf had a difficult life due to his mixed ancestry, being treated with either pity or scorn because of it, and this was in Dalaran, not even Quel’thalas, mind you!

Now we know Arator, Galadin & Giramar do not face those same difficulties as were faced by Alodi, but none of them have been to Quel’thalas(yet), and are the children of renowned and respected parents. Perhaps that has some influence in how they’re treated or perhaps Dalaran and the worlds discrimination towards Half-Elves have lessened, atleast outside of Quel’thalas(since Quel’thalas is still in limbo)

2 Likes

For now, at least, it seems safe to assume Anduin is alive. After all, he’s no stranger to being kidnapped and held captive by an evil purple woman with the body of a dead elf. If Xal’atath spends any time with him, there’s also at least a 5% chance he’ll have her reforming her ways by the end of the expansion. On the other hand, Xal’atath might just be the person to help Anduin discover the joys of being a Shadow Priest. Either way, he’ll be fine… We hope.

3 Likes

Gods not again.

4 Likes

Is there some nuance I’m missing? Are there details here which would make the scenario significantly different from his arc in SL?

Don’t listen to them!

I’m weirdly hype for a Arathi Empire with half-elves.

I’m pretty confident there’ll be alot of humans and a bunch of true elves too!

1 Like

Malfurion gets captured once and has the fanbase forever mocking him over a fake version of him crafted by Xavius. We even free him in a single dungeon right quick for him to help us afterwards in Shaladrassil.

Anduin has gotten multiple kidnappings over the course of his 20-25 years of existence and somehow no one brands him with the “Princess Peach” title?

4 Likes

And then people wonder what soured the NElf fanbase when the one face of your race is mocked endlessly(I would say 2, but Illidaddy and Malfyboi are twins)

2 Likes

And once again we bring it back to Nelfposters.

3 Likes