PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Easy fix;

Make Hero Talents not count/active in PVP.

They already have their own Super Special PVP-centric talents, after all. I don’t see the problem :dracthyr_shrug:

I don’t like PvP either but it seems strange to alienate it even further from the game with its already near-death playerbase. Not giving them access to a core part of an entire expansion would put a nail in an already 90% closed coffin.

Edit: I suppose you could make an argument for PvP Hero Talent Trees but I think doubling the 48 Talent Trees to 96 would add a level of headache no dev is ever willingly going to put up with.

Are you referring to the WoW playerbase in general, or the PvP playerbase specifically?

But that’s how a lot of ordinary talents and PvP work as well. That’s why PvP builds and PvE builds are often very different.

The only source for frustration is that some of these hero talents come with a particular fantasy and aesthetic attached, so some people will be sad if they can’t use their favourite aesthetic for their favourite type of content. That’s it.

In fairness, I’d much rather they fix the problems within our Class and Spec trees within those said trees. But, seeing as other specs are getting good stuff into their Hero talents (e.g. Affli locks, warriors, hunters), one of my hopes was that we’d get some too. And by some, I specifically mean something to address the pain points.

There are good things mind you. The shield destroying part of shadow word: death has potential to be very good, assuming it is tuned properly, for example.

But as said tuning’s tuning. I’d much rather the ability is mechanically sound.

I’ve seen some suggestions about how WoW should follow FFXIV’s style of PvP (I think - haven’t played FFXIV myself) where you basically get an entirely new set of abilities/talents to play with in PvP.

A lot of the qualms I’ve read about have just been the PvE’s influence on PvP, so separating them entirely could lead to better balancing and design. There already is a ‘game within a game’ system in place thanks to Plunderstorm, so I could imagine PvP becoming a separate game-mode as well. This way, you probably don’t have to worry about gearing anyway, if there’s vendors around like in tournament realms.

And obviously all the ratings etc give you cosmetics which you can carry over to live realms, so there’s a point in playing the PvP mode. :person_shrugging:

I love you :heart:

That would be neat. I can’t imagine ever touching PvP next expansion with this idiotic spelleffects bloat. Besides the fact that it makes it even more difficult to get into PvP, even more things to keep track of.

1 Like

14 has a slightly easier time of it since they’ve only got 19 jobs to balance around while WoW has…uh…52 specs across 13 classes.

But yeah, I do think Blizz could take a cue from 14 in this regard and just have PvP be a set of PvP abilities that entirely ignore your gear. I’ve long argued that balance for one shouldn’t affect the other.

They could try narrowing it down to roles - for pure DPS or dual-types it’s not that hard (eg. DK get a Tank or a DPS role option) but I guess for the trios (Druids, Pallies) it’s a bit more iffy.

1 Like

Looks like Hallowfall will be some sort of pseudo-surface zone, since this seems like an elaborate skybox rather than an ordinary asset.

Looking up a map, it seems like it also comes with a huge underground ocean that stretches off to the north and west, giving it fatigue zones as a border rather than just being a giant cavern like the other two underground zones.

I guess Blizzard were worried about players getting underground fatigue in this expansion.

Seems like the Hallowfall Dungeons are based around defeating the Order of Dark Night (sheesh, that’s the most on-nose evil name I’ve ever heard evil its way into evil). The Priory dungeon has the Prioress stealing the Arathi Dead and resurrecting them as evil Light Undead as she’s “lost in her grief” and “overwhelmed by the Shadow” and General Steelstrike (Commander of the Arathi Army) and Faerin task us with finding out what’s going on inside and trying to bring them back from the edge of insanity (to no success, it seems thus far).

The Airship is us defending the Arathi from a Nerubian assault which we need to repel to keep the Airships secure. They also have some other interesting beliefs about the Light but notably nothing that actually seems. . .zealous whatsoever. Faerin is fine with Alleria’s voidness, as are the rest of the Arathi from what I’ve seen so far and they see the Light through the concept of perseverance against the darkness and failure, and it seems that the Light answers them even through their doubts because they have the will to press on regardless of their sorrows.

Edit: The Order of Dark Night seems to be associated with Xal’atath and is trying to put out the Holy Flame to transition Beledar into its shadow phase for longer periods.

Edit 2: Telaryn will be here in approximately 3 hours to tell us he told you so.

5 Likes

:saxophone::shrimp:

4 Likes

Bit weird to be overwhelmed by the Shadow but still doing heaps of Light-based stuff, as videos of that dungeon show no sign of any shadow shenanigans.

But maybe that’s just the Arathi way of describing grief and extremism.

Maybe its time to reroll my nelf’s muscle wife warrior into a hunter what with sentinel and everything.

From what I can tell and understand, its that the Shadow is using her indirectly, instead of directly, as its better to corrupt the prioress through madness than just possess her and have her start flinging shadow magic everywhere - which would make her an obvious evil traitor. Better to manipulate etc. and all that jazz.

2 Likes

And then she voided all over them.

The cosmic lore and it’s consequences

I mean, I like it in that it’s consistent with the Light as a Force but not a Sentience we’ve always seen in the past, i.e. the Scarlets can still use the Light due to their fervent belief, even if said belief is, uh, Not Very Good Actually.

The belief may just be “I can resurrect them and save them!” even if the end result is less than ideal.

Somethingsomething the Light casts a Shadow mumblemeta vindicating the melisandre rpers.

Though this does kind of validate the whole Void = mental anguish = manifesting intangible suffering. See also: sha.

1 Like

Who’s that?

The theme tune for all shadow priests and void users is now Crawling by Linken Park.