PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 2)

This is just an allegory to how British society uses alcoholism as a coping mechanism for a disjointed, socially-frictious environment that they have no desire to change because they’re just buzzed and stimulated from drink.

5 Likes

Having been a Gilneas rp’er pretty much since I came to the server in summer 2013… that questline on one hand made me weep to the point I wrote a short-story for myself and how my chars acted.

But on the other hand im glad that one of Desartin and Hargorin’s goals are finally fulfilled and we can actually rp in the place again.

It’s clear that most of the attention went to Amirdrassil and the night elves, but good god, Gilneas in comparison does not look good.

1 Like

It’s not very reasonable either: we had Aethas go to Dalaran and demand to be accepted back.

Meanwhile, each year we have dozens of world-ending conflicts that force the factions to let go of their previous hostilities in order to work together, as it is their sole chance to defeat the new saturday villain of the week.

You’re just going to unite as an army to defeat a bad guy without having any lasting development?
How many times has it been since the Purge? MOP, WOD, Legion, BFA, DF… 5 times, more-or-less, with the cycle of hatred resuming as if nothing has changed. …Talk about something being [quote=“Elenthas, post:9767, topic:436639, username:Elenthas-argent-dawn”]
unfulfilling
[/quote]

Yet that is your take here:

From one side you criticize how cheap the reconciliation feels, yet the way through which you praise the episodes of the faction war doesn’t have any depth or nuance: rather, you flatten the differences, usually going for some sort of cynical: “well, the good guy did one bad thing, therefore that means they are both equally bad” - just like you draw a comparison to Theramore and the Purge, without taking note of the enormous differences between the two situations.

It’s just peak melodramatic blood elf posting.

But let’s not pretend the way which you praise the cycle of hatred is any deeper.

We know from experience in multiple instances, such as with Jaina and with Tyrande, that this isn’t how Blizzard handles the search for justice.

It is the duty and the responsibility of the aggrieved to abandon their desire for revenge and bring an end to the cycle of hatred, no matter what the aggressor thinks or how the aggressor feels. No matter how legitimate the grievance, even if the villain is blasting off again to commit more war crimes, the camera always seems to swivel around to focus on the wronged party as they are forced to make the choice between renewal and revenge.

I find it hard to recall any instance in Blizzard media where a villain makes an effort at redemption and repenting and reparations before the aggrieved party is asked to tone down their search for justice.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 5000 replies. Continue discussion at PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3).