PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Based on all the evidence we have from WoD, what most likely happened post-hellfire was that Yrel for whatever reason, decided to not put Grommash on trial for what he did, and perhaps inspired by Velen gave him and his people a second chance.

Based again on AU Grom’s personality, this most likely went horrible and they went right back to warping the land and committing bad deeds. When asked to stop, they either ignored it or more likely, attacked the Draenei again.

Which at some point, would make the Draenei and Lightbound need to intervene, especially if Grom was also killing the entire planet again(Which he 100% was, its in his character).

2 Likes

Hey that’s High Exarch Yrel’s best friend you’re talking about there.

No one was asking you to? Your personal feelings on Grom’s actions don’t change the story they’re telling.

Is industrialisation killing the planet? Is that the assertion? Someone should probably warn the gnomes and dwarves about that.

And the only influence the draenei had was a floating windchime. Why’s one more acceptable as a cause to fall than the other?

“Warping the land” how, exactly?

And that’s the wrong approach. There is no singular villain in all the cases that make the most sense. I’d say the AU Mag’har case is not unlike the whole Pandaria story, where the warring factions gradually destroy everything around themselves. Grom clearly had it coming after the events of WoD, let’s be honest, but in attempts to stop him Yrel and the Lightbound resorted to more and more extreme tactics. Which, when heavy industry all around Draenor is complemented with Light on one side and Void on the other (Shadowmoon and the arakkoa have been using it since at least the draenei arrival), could and did cause the ecological collapse.

2 Likes

Because one is the Warcraft equivalent of an archangel and the other is a green version of Rasputin?

Edit: Wait, I’m mixing Gul’dan up with Garrosh.

4 Likes

They hunted several species to extinction and turned Gorgrond into an industrial wasteland by stripmining it, I’m not sure what to say really, that combined with them upsetting the Elements just spells out an eventual ecological disaster, the same as how it does on our planet.

3 Likes

Technically yes, but it would also depending on how they go about it. The Iron Horde was shown to rapidly industrialize by specifically killing entire ecosystems(for fun rather than resources btw), actively harnessing the void, using necromancy to defile their own dead and pulling them out of their afterlife.

Atop of this, we also saw that the Iron Horde deliberately angered and killed the elements of their world. And we know Draenor is a planet very dependent on its elements, alot more than Azeroth.

There is also a big difference of running a mine, and strip-mining an entire continent. Iron Horde does the latter.

The windchime for one was also not a fugitive who escaped justice after it also tried to committ mass genocide & warcrimes.

Well, Grom already directly demanded the use of void and necromancy. With there now also being fel present, he would 100% use this too. The only reason he didn’t take Gul’Dans offer was because he wouldn’t be in charge.

8 Likes

Attempts to stop him doing what

When did this take place

Also, much as I love all the focus on Grom, I’d note that the Lightbound are also fighting Draka and the other Frostwolves. I guess they’re also suddenly evil now? Durotan too. Died in battle against the good guy Lightbound.

Oh so we need to add the Void Elves to the list along with the gnomes and dwarves then huh.

When did this take place, exactly? Is that mentioned in the scenario?

Weird you’d think the mag’har wouldn’t have shamans as playable.
You’d also think that if killing elements was such a big deal that our killing off the elemental lords over and over again would have a bigger impact, since that’s all it takes to kill the world.

You guys have nothing but headcanon going here, instead of believing that saturating a planet with Light might have an impact on its Life.

Draenei and Orcs hunted together the… Evergrowth if I’m not mistaken together to extinction supposedly if we are to ignore the plantlife assets used during the scenario. The quote is straight from Yrel. As for the Light saturation, this claim comes from the Mag’har themselves, I don’t remember who said it anymore but until I see it reflected on AU Draenor… Propaganda!

3 Likes

Screwing the ecology all over. The Botani and the spore lifeforms, however problematic, were the source of the elemental balance and the flora there being as lush. The industrialized part of Gorgrond was reduced to barren wastelands mere months after the Everbloom was pushed away from Blackrock. Add to it necromancy and Void, and you get only corrupted, Nazmir-like hellscape that could only be burned to the ground.

It’s not about killing a singular elemental lord, it’s about completely disrupting the balance. We have an example of this in Mechagon, where all the elementals are literally toxic without any magic involved and the land could be barely revived through heavy druidic efforts only after all the trash was taken out. And here there was no option to just move underground, build a city of high tech and synthesize the food for everyone.

4 Likes

I’ve already previously expressed that it was both really weird and bad for the void elves to be praised for using Void necromancy in BfA. But they were also still a small-subgroup and not an entire faction.

It would be different if Anduin would have directly told the Alliance “I want you to channel the void and raise the dead. Do this or I will kill you”(Grom literally does this).

As for gnomes and dwarves, again, the scale matters, as do the approach. It’d be like saying Nestlé is identical to a guy manually filling up two bottles of water from a spring and selling them.

I litterally said in that post that there is a big difference between Azeroth and Draenor. Draenor is stated to be far more primal, and the elements play a much more crucial role there than on Azeroth, to the point that the planet dies if they are even slightly off-balance.

I mean yeah, when we only got the word of literally orc hitler vs someone we know to have been a good person, I will choose to trust the latter.

4 Likes

She’s best friends with Orc Hitler. Doesn’t sound that good to me.

Should be noted that apparently if the Breakers/Genesaurs ever won Draenor was essentially destined to become a barren wasteland it seems?
" Along the southern and eastern side of the region the savage Primals have created a lush jungle with thick foliage and dangerous animate plant-life that waits to devour those foolish enough to stray into its depths. If either side triumphed over the other, then Gorgrond and all of Draenor would soon be transformed into the victor’s favored environment." and given that the Breakers won and they favour an arid wasteland terrain type. . .

Though its kind of odd because the environmental change is only described as
“The sky is clouded over, and there is a green tint in the air.” but green doesn’t really make me think of Light/Draenei or Orcs/Elements to be honest, but it does make me think Fel, and the end period of the Iron Horde was filled with Fel and Demon corruption and we know that can cause entire ecosystems to collapse over time.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s Grom who says it. The least untrustworthy character since Grima Wormtongue.

3 Likes

Well, that would be her only mistake, and she does seem to be willing to correct it. Which is good.

2 Likes

Forcibly brainwashing people to serve you and killing Durotan doesn’t sound like it’s the actions of a good person but I guess my morals are a bit skewed. The more you know, I guess!

I keep telling you, there isn’t good and evil here. There are two factions fighting over the control over the continent, both using methods ranging from dubious to truly abhorrent. All just like in Pandaria, and later in BfA.

2 Likes

Again, all of this is from the word and perspective of some of the worst and evil villains the setting and franchise have seen.

I wouldn’t trust their word on this.

2 Likes

Something I did just realise from the BFA scenario itself is that when asked about the Ogre clans Grommash describes how the Mag’har subjugated them all.

" We subdued the ogre clans long ago. But every so often, one of their bravest–and stupidest–stirs the embers of rebellion. Today is such a day.

You and Eitrigg will join Geya’rah in putting down the ogre uprising. Prove yourself in battle and you may earn her respect."

Please go and kill this Ogre who doesn’t want his people to [reads notes] continue being subjugated servants of the Mag’har?

9 Likes

Really?

You upvoted Vixi’s post saying

I’m glad that I could at least convince you of the error of the above statement.

I call upon you all to ensure that the future promised by the Light Mother is fulfilled. Purge the infection that prevents Draenor’s heart from being whole.

The Light will forge a new future for the orcs… but first, we must save the Mag’har from themselves.

No more division. No more defiance. In the Light, we shall be one.

Yrel: Please go and kill this Orc who doesn’t want his people to [reads notes] continue being subjugated servants of the Lightbound?

Your tone seems very pointed right now.