PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Great catch, that’s certainly possible. I’ll genuinely be impressed and pleased if they weave together disparate strands of lore like that.

1 Like

Come to think of it, large parts of the globe and many nations apparently never suffered by the Scourge (reasonable) or the Legion… like at all, but Blizzard keeps saying it was a global thingy.

How come?

i did say it was a small percentage. certainly saw a few in my social circles at the time moan about it.

1 Like

Alternatively, dragons feature in stories of the original Arathi (possibly from high elves recalling lore of the WotA), passed down through the generations, changed and embelished to morph them into wish granting, benevolent beings. But the green dragon theory seems the most logical.

3 Likes

Wonder if she’s still a Green Dragon, and not something else, by now.

Also weird how magical storms stopped her from entering the Emerald Dream, but eh :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s Magic :rainbow:

Don’t question it!

1 Like

By the established zandalari standard you can be an empire entirely on vibes, running one city state surrounded by ruins.

Htoreza, obviously.

3 Likes

Think this is an incredibly underrated post.

People like to talk about fatigue, as though it’s recurring characters that are the problem. But then they’ll complain if a narrative is one and done in the space of a couple of patches or an expansion. People wouldn’t have been happy with night elves if they got a resolution like one patch later from Teldrassil being razed and then it never been touched upon again. Lets be real.

Warlord’s was not a good expansion, it was a mess. A mess that was taken out back like ol’ Teller so Legion could be focused on. It was rushed, hacked apart and bodged. Of course there was going to be a fatigue when Blizzard were using it as a time filler to support Legion ans the expansion sorely reflected that.

10 Likes

How come Gilnean NPCs always get awesome stuff and players get utter trash transmogs?

6 Likes

Their look is literally obtainable. It’s a mix of one of the cosmetic sets you can get upon The War Within launch and the Nathria leather set.

4 Likes

warlords was marketing for the movie and its impossible to see it any other way anymore

4 Likes

WOD was in many ways a failure of the old guard, which contributed to turn WoW into the game it is today - for better or worse.

It was a love letter to the world loved by Metzen & Co. In many ways, they wanted to revive that which perhaps was their OG love for the game. I personally didn’t like the premise too much. An army of orcs felt like a downgrade from monsters like the Scourge, from Deathwing, and all these villains. But while some people complained about “orc fatigue”, the vast majority of the playerbase just loved the idea. There was a lot of damn enthusiasm.

And Blizzard, you can clearly see, still loved to create and experiment. It really makes you think that they never did anything as impressive as Ashran, or the ambitious leveling zones with small towns you’d create from scrap.

The OG story was also quite good, time shenanigans aside. The world building was spot on, the high fantasy was still “tame”, and power dynamics tried to have an explanation: there is a lot of lore about why the orcs have become a power in all of Draenor out of nowhere, etc etc.

That being said, I just think too many things had a good conception, but made the game poorer. WoD was too much of a “railroad”, in that players were forced into stuff they did not want to do in order to collect stuff they really didn’t care much about - nine different skins of boar mounts? Ehhhh.
A lot of the garrison felt like a glorified solo content in a game previously intended to be played together.

And then stuff like the “major 6.1” SELFIE patch.

4 Likes

People have fatigue of bad and mismanaged narratives… What a surprise. It doesn’t really matter the race, the setting or the expansion’s overaching theme. If it’s terrible, under-delivers or downright takes a steamy dump on previously enjoyed content to elevate itself, of course I’m gonna whine and moan about it.

1 Like

the fact that still today, warlords has the single most viewed trailer of all the expacs of WoW, sitting currently at 36 million for the English version with the second closest being BFA at 30 million, says to me that enthusiasm was some of the highest wow ever had. i sat in discord and g-chats many a year for the big expac trailers and none ever came as close to the hype people had for that one.

…and lets be honest, it was one of their finest World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Cinematic (youtube.com)

5 Likes

Purely looking at the trailer, it was definetly fire. It gave us a pivotal moment in warcraft history that we never really got to see ingame before: the moment the orcs would normally take on the fel corruption. It also gave us the reveal that Pit Lords can actually cloak themselves ( something I later used for Desartin’s backstory).

And ofc the fact Grom ends up killing Mannoroth again, and is about to meet the same end as his MU counterpart, to the part where the camera angle is exactly the same, a moment that -many- players remember from the end of Warcraft 3’s orc campaign, only for Garrosh to dive in at the last second and save him.

The trailer just felt very familiar and ticked all the nostalgia-boxes.

6 Likes

that was the moment i remember EVERYONE myself included screaming and pointing at the screen. the slow motion axe to the head was pure cinema.

5 Likes

I don’t think the new login screen for TWW is good.

I expect that it will see evolution/progression with Midnight/TLT but as far as iconics go? This ain’t it.

Hardly the end of the world, rarely see more of a glimpse of the screen when you’re launching from the bnet launcher, but still.

5 Likes

While Jeb says WoD as an expac was purely marketing for the movie and in a way I don’t disagree, my opinion is that WoD as an expac was built on purely nostalgia-bait or very cheap epic moments.

WoD really was one of the worst ever expacs, and for that reason alone (though also my own anti-orc bias) I can’t really enjoy the cinematic either. If anything, IMO the best cinematic to date is Cataclysm’s. It still has the cheap epic moments or cinematic generics like Deathwing edgy monologuing, but also seeing zones you know in HD getting absolutely wrecked? It was really a moment to remember vividly.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the login screen. It’s probably for some other purpose.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRBd2fQWYAEL97O?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Talkin about this one

It’s got minor animation (a bit of shimmering glow and some sparks) but essentially static.