PTR Spoiler/Discussion Thread (Part 3)

If they released Revendreth as a weirdo island in the middle of the South Seas and just said “this is vampire island” then honestly…like not the worst thing in the world…

8 Likes

I’m not so sure. We’ve heard approximately 0x about Chronicles 4 being “written from an in-universe” pov and have heard nothing more about that idea since danuser once said it off-handedly at Blizzcon. This Chronicles details events from an omniscient written perspective like the others and, you know, is also written about things the Titans were gone for or wouldn’t even know about unless they were omniscient themselves so I absolutely don’t think the book is “unreliable narration” especially not because parts of the book dispell elements of unreliable narration we’ve been debating about for awhile. Its also £50 so if Blizzard wants to make it unreliable they’re going to have a harder time getting people to buy it given the 100% price hike.

I also don’t really know how you can get much more obvious about the First Ones being disdained than the guy who wrote the entire setting deciding to only give them 2 lines in the book going “haha yeah they’re some craaaaaazy myth :crazy_face:”. Which checks out really, because yes there are “First Ones” symbols in TWW however all of them are incorporated into Titan architecture and Titan machinery, which indicates that if they really must keep them then Metzen is just going to make it so the First Ones is a different name for the Titans because they were the First Ones to ever walk the Universe.

3 Likes

Until we’ve actually got the book in our hands and get read everything that it says about the Shadowlands expansion and how it explains places like Zereth Mortis without referring to the First Ones, I don’t think that we can claim that.

That segment that we’ve been shown so far is a step in the right direction, but let’s not celebrate too prematurely.

4 Likes

This would be the best solution…

2 Likes

There are a few pages on the Shadowlands Covenants, elaborating on them. However everyone that I’ve talked too so far and from what I’ve seen on Twitter the extent of Zereth Mortis and First Ones in this book is “what’s zereth mortis and the first ones”, but yeah, we’ll have to see until we have more than just excerpts of different chapters.

2 Likes

The only chronicle I want to read is Jason Schreier’s book that comes out in October. God it will be absolutely fascinating to get into the nitty gritty of Blizzard’s heinous office politics, especially the last ten or so years.

1 Like

You did it Metzen
You defeated danuser
You really are the world of warcraft: the War within

8 Likes

Have the natural state of the multiverse and planes of existence be a garbled mess torn between Light and Void where the Titans emerged and ordered/created what we know by that neat metaphysical tapestry. It explains why we keep running into machines and stone robots everyfreakingwhere.

And explain the Nether somewhat better than being the warhammer warp.

3 Likes

Are they straight up ignoring Shadowlands? They showed Thrall struggling to control his powers in that one trailer.

They removed the commentary on Thrall’s elemental dysfunction from the beta, so maybe they’re toning down Thrall’s struggle with the elements after everyone dunked on it with the release of that trailer.

Even though Shadowlands might have resolved that plot in a quick and boring way, I’m not sure people really feel like revisiting Thrall’s elemental ineptitude once more. Something new would be preferable.

11 Likes

Well it was a little insensitive to air his elemental dysfunction so publically. When your tremor totem isn’t shaking the ground anymore, that’s kind of a private matter. And it certainly can’t help his confidence issues to have the heroes snickering and giving the sideeye because his Flame Shock only has a 5 yrd range cast range.

6 Likes

I wonder if we’ll see more Mage Order Hall survivors aswell!

1 Like

I want at least one mourning the terrible loss of so many books… I mean collegues

8 Likes

The new chronicles retcons Zekhan’s appearance in the Redridge Saurfang quest by now saying that Sylvanas sent him there along with the dark ranger and the horde champion.

Which is just…sure man, of course she did. That makes no sense, at all, but okay!

2 Likes

Doesn’t this make the rebel side non-canonical?

Loyalist bros winning once again.

1 Like

Thor ‘Do they really?’.jpg

Yes, they really. :sunglasses:

I’ve not got it in my hands, was going off a screenshot of someone else. But my guess is that in totality they’ll probably middle of the road milquetoast it overall.

One improvement is that they kinda wrote Genn out of appearing in the battle for dazar’alor and put all of his stuff on Jaina - which makes sense. Him being there was kinda stupid (he was meant to be in Darkshore) and the cutscenes and narrative were always better placed for Jaina to take all the heat for what went down.

2 Likes

Azsuna takes place first in Legion as well now, which was already a running theory and it tries to expand on Sylvanas’ bargain with Helya by… making her even more objectively evil in every regard because there’s now little sentences throughout Chronicles talking about how she was preparing for the Jailer as far back as MoP, but wasn’t wholly aligned with him yet.

Nightborne are now the ones who fiddled with the timeline to bring the Mag’har to Azeroth instead of it being the bronzes, so we can all disregard that “noble garrosh” line from Soridormi lmao.

No, the rebel side takes up a lot of the later pages of the BfA book, it seems like the Horde just chooses to rebel a bit later than that quest taking place, more in line with 8.1.5-8.2.

The Horde canonically released Xal’atath from her prison:

Rebellion:

1 Like

Pre-emptively making sure we had a bad purple lady in reserve for when we got rid of current bad purple lady. :pray:

12 Likes