Punishment for leaving BGs

I’ve been doing more PvP lately and I noticed that some people abandon their groups if things don’t go well right from the start or if it’s failing towards the end. The deserter debuff is pretty much useless in its current state because players can just /AFK and log in with their alts and find a new group to carry them.
I think we should prevent this leeching by making the deserter debuff account-wide and giving it a longer duration if someone leaves too many matches in a short period of time.

3 Likes

Well that’s a two sided coin here… ask yourself: ‘Why are these people leaving in the first place?’

Maybe adress those problems rather than try to punish them for not sitting out what is clearly experienced as a waste of their time and patience.

3 Likes

People have 0 patience anymore to wait and try out things. I only do pvp on my horde alt and I have noticed in epic bgs, right off the beginning you get people who think we are going to lose and either leave or start complaining. Usually by the end they have gone quiet as the bg has turned around.

You do have to ask yourself do you want someone on your team who is going to refuse to participate because they are unhappy for whatever reason or would you rather see them leave on their own?

How exactly can you address that?

In every game there will always be one side that loses (besides the extremely rare exception of a draw).

WoW players are a lot more fragile and sensitive these days so naturally at least a few players are going to leave a losing game, and from that point it’s very difficult to make a comeback. Even more unfair for some Horde players who are sitting in queue for 15+ minutes just to join a losing game that’s almost finished.

I don’t believe the punishment should be harsh, but it does need to be changed.

I’d say increase it to 30 minutes and make it in-game time. So you cannot log out and wait for it to expire, you have to be online on that specific character for 30 minutes.

Add a vote function to forfeit a game instead of deserting and I’m down with that.

4 Likes

That sounds alright on paper but I can’t really agree with it. I have had some AB games lately where we have 4-5 capped them early in the game and messed around at stables for the rest of the game.

If they forfeit after 2 minutes of gameplay, after I have just sat in queue for 15 + minutes, feels like a massive waste of time to me.

Sure I want to win, but I want to PvP too!

Spoken like a true horde player :smiley:

I’m an alliance player, I have to wait 1 minute for BGs to pop up and 4 minutes for epic BGs. The behaviour I’ve described is definitely something more common on the alliance side.
I understand that people leave BGs for genuine reasons sometimes, and they have every right to do so in some situations, I just think that the current system is prone to abuse.

1 Like

Remember. If one player leaves he/she will get replaced by another.

Why should i stay in a lost cause i get nothing valuable from staying, winning, and losing nowadays. Battlegrounds dont even last as long as they use to from previous expansions and every bg feels the same just a boring scripted fights even if you face different people

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s about winning or losing, it’s more the random factor that decides if the BG will be fun or not, it’s not like we have a battleground tab on the forums where people voice their distress getting farmed by (russian) pre-mades, healer imbalance and gimped gameplay. I guess we’ll never know the reason why they are leaving.

Serieously I spawn in an epic BG against a full russian pre-made with 12 healers. You really expect me to stay 30 minutes to feed their honor kills?

On a side note, as already mentioned it’s better that these people can leave. If you decide to punish them, all it will result in is that people will alt-tab and browse the internet while moving their character every few minutes to avoid getting auto-kicked. Surely that’s even worse than someone leaving and getting a new player.

2 Likes

Totally incorrect. people only leave if they are (about to) lose.

The biggest problem in this regard is that “the punishment” for leaving doesn’t do anything. Even if ppl do get a debuff, they will just swap to an alt or do some other content.

What needs to happen instead is a “fine” of some sorts. Leavers losing gold or conquest points when they leave for example.

If youre about to lose a BG with 300-1200 score, or you’re lacking behind with 0-2 in flags and the opposing faction are in full control there is no need to quit the bg, get a deserter debuff, and log another alt. Such games usually ends within 1-3 mins no matter what. Most players stops playing at that point and waits until the scorecreeen.
Peeps quit because they predict a loss and decide not to play any other BGs after that for a while. And most ordinary BGs rarely lasts more than 10-12 mins anyway.

The early quitters… well. I prefer a new player way over a negative player who simply stops playing and just moves his char now and then so he avoids going afk. And sometimes a new player is a gamechanger and have a positive impact to a team (poor and inexperienced healer ragequits, good healer joins etc). I have seen that several times.

And as I wrote earlier: If one player leaves he/she will get replaced by another.

The penalty is fine as it is now.

1 Like

Not at all. I can’t speak for everyone, but there is no difference between winning or losing, you don’t get any significant rewards in random BG’s so that hardly matters. Even LFR gives better gear than unranked conquest, lol. The only reason to play is have some fun, if there is no fun in that match there is no reason to play.

And as stated 5 times in this post now, if you’re punishing people with taking away gold or large debuffs, They’ll just move their character once every few minutes and go watch television or youtube. It solves nothing.

Ofc you dont get any proper rewards…thats one of the main reasons ppl dont try at times.

But it has nothing to do with the fact that ppl do leave when the game is about to be lost. You barely see ppl leaving games that are about to be won. While people leave games in hordes that are about to be lost literally every game that happens.

And it isnt just 1-2 guys most of the times either. Typically its half the team.

If you deny that stuff like that happens i doubt you played a substantial number of random BGs the last few years.

I suppose, on average winning is more fun than losing.

That’s not a bad idea actually.

Lets say i get a longer duration deserter buff thats account wide. You know what ill do? Ill turn wow off and come back another day when its over.

Wow isnt fun enough to add debuffs that dont allow you to play.

Its a lot smarter to add a -conquest debuff for example. A debuff that will aborb the first 100 conquest earned per left game.

On top of that pvp needs a better reward structure to incentivice (casual) pvp.

That isn’t a bad idea actually. I mean 100 pts is a bit steep lol, but maybe the cost of the win, had you won. i.e. 65 for an eBG

Mind you you’re then penalising those who have left for legitimate reasons. I mean life does happen around us and sometimes we have to answer doors to the outside world :stuck_out_tongue:

lmao

/10 chars