Purple Eyes for Blood Elf lore reasoning

So both Void Elf/ Belf are getting this new purple eyes , but why does it make sense for blood elf to get it we might aswel get the Red Eye Dark Ranger look

It’s probably a “semi” retcon. Blue used to be a sign of arcane magic, but since WoW began, they switched over to purple/violet hues for arcane. So either purple eyes means the person is infused with arcane or void magic. Could be both depending on the hue.

6 Likes

I’d assume that it’s a variant of the blue eyes of uncorrupted elves. We have three hues of blue, and arcane magic is sometimes shown as more of a pinkish colour.

So my guess is that as far as lore goes, this is intended for spellcasters not corrupted by fel or void.

2 Likes

They ate too much grapes.

11 Likes

Some Dalaran High elf mages have Purple eyes. I always thought of it as beautiful.

Perhaps with the Sunwell being fixed and Some Blood elves going back to blue, purple could be an option too.

Don’t look too much into lore, it always changes.

Overall Purple could be a mastery of Arcane. Any Arcane mage elf would have it

1 Like

Elves gonna elf

3 Likes

So the WoW designer commented on this.

Before 1 particular Beta build (from few months ago), all High Elf NPCs (since TBC) had the similar texture to these eyes, but they were dark blue (instead of purple). After that beta build, all of that eye textures turned into very very similar texture but with a purple tint. The WoW designer said it was indeed a bug and in this recent (yesterday’s) Beta build, they fixed the bug by giving all High Elf NPCs the new blue texture (that can be seen on both BEs and VEs) and it’s deep blue with blue sclera around the iris. And to addition to that, they decided to give the bugged purple eye texture to player models which is awesome.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I forget about the Twitter. He said: The NPC’s loss is your gain.

(Your) meaning us players.

2 Likes

Oh wow thats so cool ! The more customization for all the better :100:

Here is a comparison:

Since TBC (or whenever they added HE eyes to the game) they had this:

• i.imgur.com/WgIWoxU.jpg

Then in one beta build they got bugged:

• i.imgur.com/tLFbu9q.png

Then they brought the texture back, but it was bugged:

• i.imgur.com/91R5l2X.png

Now they’re fixed to the VE and BE textures:

• i.imgur.com/fnoPhgr.png

Edit: I just saw the photos of the new eyes that were added yesterday, it seems like it’s not the eyes from the 3rd photo, but something different between 1st and 3rd photo. They’re still purple, but not too purple like in 3rd photo.

• i.imgur.com/e0x0eiU.png

Also, the good explanation to why Blood Elves got these as well now is because Blizzard said that their eyes depend on the magic they use, so I can see arcane mages using these.

2 Likes

There isn’t any lore reason, it was 100% rule of cool after a bugfix on female High Elf NPCs.

A rule of cool that i appreciate very much.

3 Likes

2 Likes

yep, just noticed this in dalaran (northrend) all the elfs have the purple eye right now.
im gona pretend its something to do with all the candy we are eating during hallows end XD

1 Like

I’ll be using them on my shadow priests for sure :slightly_smiling_face: I think it makes more sense for void users so my blood elf shadow priest will probably be the only blood elf to use them, but it’s likely to be my default option for void elves. That colour looks amazing. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I will be giving my Shadow priest the same.

1 Like

Totally off topic but have you seen the latest trailer with Sylv?

2 Likes

does every customization option need lore?

Here I am, desperately wishing elves to return to EYES instead of lightbulbs. There’s literally not even a difference between normal eye colors and “blind” eyes because it’s just a different color, but looks exactly the same.

Look up the Warcraft 3 official Tyrande art. SHE HAS EYES WITH SCLERA (no pupils but you can chalk that to being a fantasy race).

Why every elf in game has irises the size of a warhorse - or in the worse cases, COLORED SCLERA - is beyond me and I find it weird and disgusting.

I’d love to finally get an option to normal sized irises and white sclera so the elves don’t look like blind DEEP SEA FISH

PS: also wish that the faces with scar across the eye have instead option to have that eye closed permanently - instead of just having a different color in it (like Zoro in One Piece post timeskip)

It’s better if it has some lore to it, right? :blush:

Red eyes confirmed? :exploding_head:

Joking of course

…unless Blizzard really wants to give it to us

3 Likes

I keep forgetting to see what it would look like on my main and I do love it. I think I may not be going blue eyed after.

1 Like