Putting Tusks of Mannoroth on Black AH is wrong

TLDR: The most rare, iconic, and rep inspiring piece of gear in the game should be earned through hard work. Not getting lucky opening a lootbox in a sewer. Have some respect for your own game design.

• Actual Post

The Tusks… have a rep. Symbolism, profound meaning. And I’m not talking about Garrosh, or Grom, or Mannoroth, battles etc. No.

I am talking about the rarest, most difficult to get item in the entire game. The lowest drop chance.

And because of this, the reputation of these shoulders gave each player a profound sense of respect. Not just for wearing them, no, but for going through hell to earn them. Emphasis on the word " Earn"

The tusks are reserved only for 2 types of players.
Nr 1: The super mega insanely lucky guy who gets it on the 1st few tries
Nr 2: The die-hard mega grinders who put in blood, sweat, tears, time, effort and most importantly…IRON WILL… to get them.

When I grinded them it took me 135 kills.
A guy I knew got them after 650.
Another guy killed Garrosh 1500 + times. So many times he lost count and was going nuts.

But we all got them in the end. And everytime we killed him weekly, or spam-killed him using an exploit (which blizzard dont ban for btw, in case anyone was gonna get triggered) you had 40 warriors, DK’s, paladins, fighting, hitting, worrying, obsessed with the HOPE…the slim, unimaginably intense hope that they would be chosen. That this time… it would be their time.

It was a spectacular feeling. Standing there, fighting him with 39 others. Farming frogs, collecting seals for bonus rolls, we had our own little tight knit community going on. All proud plate wearers who wanted the ultimate challenge of being chosen by Garrosh…

Now I’ll link an amazing comment from WoWhead which explains what we went through, the defining aspect of the Journey to the Tusks. And what this journey meant for us who were chosen by Garrosh.

*"By Skjaldkorva (464 – 5 ·4) on 2015/08/24 (Patch 6.2.1)

Anyone wanting to farm these should reinforce their will with iron. I run a group that does 30 runs a night, and all of the members who have been there with me since the beginning have got their tusks. New people come and go, either giving up or beating the odds and getting their tusks in only a hundred runs or so.

Yet I stand firm, 600 kills in, ready for that next coin to flicker into that beautiful icon.

Good luck everyone hoping to farm this item, and remember; though it might feel hopeless, you must push through. Never give in to despair and doubt.

Garrosh says “Anger, hatred, fear, they are weapons of war. The tools of a Warchief. Yes, yes, I can see it now.”

What he means is this:

“Anger” will grow with every kill.

“Hatred” towards the person who gets tusks with less kills than you.

“Fear” of you never getting the tusks. That they will never drop.

What he sees is us, in a perpetual state of despair, killing him over and over as our will and sanity are slowly drained with each blow against his corrupted body.

The joke is on him though. We will get our Tusks and rejoice, for we are the ones with true iron will."*

• And there it is. I hope you’ll understand now what this journey is. What it became for us. How epic, memorable, annoying, insane, crazy, and mindnumbingly bonkers it was… and how we dont regret a MOMENT a of.

And that is because, we proved to Garrosh, to WoW, to the devs that our will was IRON! We wanted it, we put in the time farming, killing, over and over and over. Preserving our faith, sanity and never giving up.

And all this, is why putting this item, with such meaning and a reputation, a history for years now, of being the ultimate grinders test, a trial of iron will, proving yourself to the old Warchief… all of this is now going to be rendered possibly skippable.

Because you can get lucky opening a f’ing lootcrate.

Me: "Oh wow, dude. You got tusks. Sweet. How many kills?"
Dude: “*Man, took me 700 kills. Was going nuts! But I got em. How about you?”

This happens a few times a month with me when I see my fellow wielders of the tusks. We look upon eachother with respect. Knowing what we went through.

And now I can look forward to walking up to a guy and say:

“Yo man. Nice! How many kills?”
And he replies:" None, lol. I got these from the black market lootboxes"

… -_-

And that is where the Tusks of Mannoroth’s reputation will take a big blow.

Dear Blizzard, Dear Ion Hazzikostas.
You should not be able to buy everything in this game. Buying isn’t earning.
Killing, putting in hard work to defeat someone either difficult or dropping mega rares… THAT is earning it. Overcoming difficulties.

And whilst some will disagree with this, I’ll refer to the original lines of text I wrote.
This isn’t a mount. This isn’t some toy, this isn’t some irrelevant piece of transmog thingy you just get because you’re so very special as a player.

No. These are the tusks. And they should be freaking earned hardcore like the rest of us.
If you’re not good enough, you wont get them.
If you’re hellbent, strong, and able, then you WILL get them.

That is how its supposed to be. Thats the whole point of why many of us love Classic WoW. Putting in the hard work, and effort.

Opening a freaking crate and getting the most rare piece of gear in the whole game… is wrong.
If the Tusks had been removed from Garrosh, I’d say whatever. Alike Naxx 40 gear.

But… they still drop from him.

Dear Blizz. Revert this change. Do not let it go live, do not ruin the reputation of the Tusks, and respect the Journey of Iron Will. The Trial… of the Tusks.
Do not… take away from this. Dont hurt your game further.
There ain’t no iron will to farming gold because you got nothing else to do in this game.

Respect the Tusks. Respect those of us who’ve been through hell to get them.

The End.

P/S: And in case anyone begins telling me the drop chance will be super low on the Black AH, you’re missing the point entirely of this entire post.

9 Likes

I honestly don’t know why it’s wrong to put them on AH. Killing Garrosh once and looting them is far easier than grinding 1m gold, don’t you agree?

Yet, here we are, my friends were trying to get it to finish their transmog for years, and another comes in and loots it the first attempt. Very fair.

It’s exactly what it is.

27 Likes

But by getting lucky with a drop?..i dont see the difference since anybody can loot them on first kill if lucky.

14 Likes

If anything, this way of acquiring them inspires way more prestige than a random drop from a legacy ‘boss’.

2 Likes

What a sad attitude to have. How something as special isn’t right to preserve its uniqueness. How it should be made additionally acessible.

For years we’ve enjoyed having special things in WoW. That is why when you see people with Corrupted Ashbringer you’re immediately wowed by this. its so cool.

We apply this IRL to our own things too. We enjoy having things of value to us. Things that are unique, special. Or far far far beyond that.
And its nice with a video game that does the same thing.

Difference is the journey and all that brings, man. Yes you can get lucky. But most wont. And the rest of us begin a test of patience, effort and more. And with that journey comes a lot of cool experiences.

And WoW has too little of that already.

A lootcrate… inspires more prestige than tearing the tusks out of Garrosh’s hands in an epic fight? -_-
Standing in a sewer alone opening a box … inspires prestige…

I… I…

Why? It is a piece of transmog, just like any other. Why is this one different because it has lower drop rate? Explain this to me first.

It was Epic before, now it’s a joke. It’s several expansions later, unless you forgot.

3 Likes

mmm but killing 1500 times garrosh isnt exactly a journey… but a fixation

8 Likes

Its not like its unobtainable, just farm it.

My bf got it on his first run for some other mog while i boosted him, it hurt ok.
I still dont have them at this very day.
Sh!t happens.

1 Like

This is the most rare item in the whole game. its the Tusks of mannoroth, which have HUGE lore in the game, worn by Garrosh, our former Warchief himself, and were deliberately made EXTREMELY difficult to procure unless RNG was favouring you big time.

Because Blizzard knew that they didn’t want everyone running around with them just like that.

Its not just a piece of gear. And the fact that you argue Tusks have the same signifiance as a lvl 15 grey… is outright shocking. You’re advocating for such a bland game-design direction. Where nothing has any meaning. Where we may as well not name our gear. Or attach lore to it. Because its just another piece.

These aren’t just whatever items. They are heavy lore carrying pieces of armor, with completely unique designs and considered special by definition due to their look, background, drop chance and all the experiences that follow when trying to procure them. Much alike a vanilla lvl 60 quest can be considered super memorable, special upon getting a mega cool reward after doing a super difficult quest.

If things aren’t special… why bother.

Depends on perspective.

You must’ve misunderstood me. I have them, I’m arguing they shouldn’t drop from a crate vendor but from Garrosh only.

Quote where I argued that.

So?

Gorehowl dropped from Level 70 Karazhan, and has done so since?

1 Like

Yes and the devs regretted that and thus made the Tusks much harder to get. And thats also why we never got WOD’s version of Gorehowl. Because they devs went extra careful. Knowing that its nice with some things that are super mega special.
We should be able to get them. Yes. But it should be difficult one way or the other.

ofc then they made Legion and destroyed Doomhammer and Ashbringer’s reputations entirely so I guess they just dont really give a damn anymore.

But they should.

Destroyed how?

Did they ever explain this was the reason why?

Says you, I don’t think they should make outdated content completely exclusive by any means. Getting 1M gold is harder than killing Garrosh. Just because you think a drop with extremely low drop rate should be kept unique and have one loot source as exclusivity doesn’t mean everyone agrees.

1 Like

Dear post author. That’s the whole point of Black Market Auction House - to get most desired and rarest items for s***load of money.

3 Likes

I obtained those shoulders back in WoD. Plenty of groups back then. I don’t mind seeing them come to the Black Market. Just surpised they didn’t add them sooner.
And why make a fuss about it? It’s not like the tusks will appear every day. Sure they may be expensive, but you can still farm them yourself.

I bet most players would tell you that you are not right, and Lich King horse is most iconic item > mount in entire game, and Ashes of A’ lar the second. It’s just some ugly shoulder which i wouldn’t mog even if i could get it.

1 Like

He has a point in that, it has one of the lowest drop rates out of all items with a weekly reset. Far less than any mount.

1 Like

Yeah, but taking into account that only plate wearers can use it, that there is far less people after that than mounts.

Who cares about drop rate? drop rate is nothing, you can get them from 1st run and you will have 100% drop rate, you can go 10000 times and still don’t get them, so drop rate will be 0% then. It’s all the same for every mount/rare item. It does drop for you or not, drop rate is meaningless.

1 Like

Just failed at getting them , but gonna continue trying.

Tell me , is it a fact that they are adding ToM’s to BMAH?

Lost value by giving them to everyone for zero efforts work. Everyone has them. Formerly only the rare vanilla / TBC players had them who got them from nax 40.
Was and still is special to this day to see them. Unlike the generic version from Legion that anyone can get. Which is particularly sad after so many years of seeing the Ashbringer move around WoW and carry such significant importance amongst characters.

its the sword that broke Frostmourne. And we get it from a faceroll quest in less than 10 minutes. Instead of it being an epic legendary or something amazing.

Zero value. Zero importance. To quote the argument from Legion’s legendary drama:" if everyone is special, NOBODY is special"

No. We know Gorehowl was intended as a WOD legendary from HFC’s final boss before they changed it and put in Archimonde instead of Grommash Hellscream.
Lots of content was cut for unknown reasons.
A crying shame.

What? They shouldn’t care about making special things in their game to make things alluring? Thats very destructive game design. You want to lure people in. Not try and sell a burger at mcdonalds that looks like this puny, boring, depressive thing.

You want a big, mega juicy burger. Same principle.

And I’m not saying getting 1 million gold isn’t harder than killing a lvl 90 boss. I’m saying beating the odds of getting the loot… is a lot harder. Thats the idea, man. And once again. Garrosh had the tusks. Some magical lootcrate doesn’t. If you wanted the tusks you had to rip em out of Garrosh’s dead hands.

And thats a cool concept. I dont care how old the content is. Its still cool due to the concept.

Yup. But I still disagree. Not everything should be bought. Its nice with unique, super special items.

i already have them. And I’m arguing the sadness of taking something unique and super special, which I look back on with fond memories and respect…and making it less special by putting it in a generic lootcrate.

Exactly man.

We’re talking speculative 0.03 - 0,04 %. We dont know the exact number.

Yes Blizz are planning to add them in 8.2.5

Amazing ! Thank you so much for giving me this info, now if I won’t be able to get them from Garrosh I will just buy em :smiley: