PvP is really BAD for new players

I haven’t played WOW for a loong time and a lot of things have changed since then, so I consider myself a new player.

I leveled my main and started playing random battlegrounds. Even tho I had low ilvl, I was still enjoying the game. Yes, I was dying a lot, but I was slowly upgrading my PVP gear and with every upgrade I felt slightly stronger and it was good feeling.

After some time, I maxed out my unranked PVP gear. I was doing fine in random battlegrounds. I had 200 ilvl gear with one legendary item. I bought some conquest gear and I basically reached endgame for unranked PVP. The only way for me to progress further was PVE (mythic+) or rated PVP.

So I started with arenas. And it was horrible. I somehow reached around 1200 rating, but it was pretty hard and frustrating. People say on forums, that it’s easy to reach combatant. That’s not true for us, new players. We have to play against these OP classes like paladins or boomkins, we have to play against players with mythic+ gear with 220 ilvl, we have to play against players with 15 years of experience who play on their 10th alt…

Yes, it may be easy for you to reach the LOWEST rank, but it’s not easy for me. I am sorry, but I don’t have enough skill to win against players with 20 ilvl better gear… and how am I even supposed to learn something, when I spend 80% of the time looking for a teammate and waiting for a game just to get killed in the first 10 seconds by a convoke.

Also there is no catch up mechanic for a soul ash or vault. Unfortunately, because of my lack of knowledge I crafted a wrong legendary item. It’s not bad, but it’s not great and I didn’t know I can have only one. Now I have to wait few weeks just to get the right one… And speaking of vault, I was probably extremely unlucky, because every item from vault had wrong stats, was bad trinket or it was item I already had.

I am not going to unsubscribe, because I was never subscribed in the first place. I just kinda regret additional 3 months of gametime I have bought… I expect a lot of hate for this, but I don’t really care.

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your responses (negative or positive), I’ve read all of them. I want to share 3 major things that would improve PVP for new and casual players.

First there should be dueling area in Oribos. In my opinion, dueling is the best way to learn how to play against certain classes. It’s fast, you don’t need to find any teammate, you don’t have to wait for matchmaking, you can choose your opponent, you can ask him what abilities did he use and how do they work.

Second (and I am pretty sure some of you will disagree) there should be way to earn better PVP gear without being forced to play rated arenas or rated battlegrounds. I am not sure how it should work, but devs surely could figure it out (if they wanted to). It doesn’t make any sense, that only better players (or players with a lot of money) have also access to better gear. This only makes them stronger. Rated PVP should be the fastest way to earn better gear and the only way to earn cosmetics, mounts and titles. I believe this is great compromise for both casual and hardcore PVP players.

Third make PVP gear best for PVP and PVE gear best for PVE. I don’t think this needs any explanation.

20 Likes

PvP in general is very demanding you have to know not only your speck but every speck in the game what defensive/offensive CD they have and what capable of just to react to their actions accordingly.

Yes rated PvP is completely unfriendly to new player. And more so after you’ll get negative win ration from Trying - people will stop iviteng you into the groups.

So unless you have a friend who knows it on decent level and willing to help you out you’r probably out of luck.

5 Likes

Mostly because PvP right now is ultra binary and completely unbalanced.

6 Likes

Answer is probably to find a consistent PVP team to commit too…tbh, once you get to a non-casual level in PVP, making it ‘easier’ would be rather counter productive, no?

1 Like

Well it is. Kinda. You have to just play to reach it. You wobt lose almost any rating for loses till 1400. Just spam play and practise…it will get better.

Advise from an experienced player, Interrupt it.

Also you want to be on par with players who have 15 years of experience in pvp while you have none. Sounds entitled.

1 Like

You might have more luck in RBGs OP.

The more time you take to research what certain classes do and how to counter it, the better you’ll get.
Some people with high rating are struggling to climb this season (from what I’ve read on the forums), so try not to take it to heart.

The only way you’re gonna learn is by keeping at it. Don’t quit, just take a small break, watch a few guides, find someone in the same position as you and try again.

4 Likes

Whole experience vs feral/bala is about being 24/7 on druid to prevent one spell because with luck he can oneshot you? It’s not funny gameplay neither for druid or his opponents. I don’t know, is defending broken stuff in WoW makes certain individuals feel better?

4 Likes

How is OP entitled, if he is explaining why PvP’s learning curve is pretty much smashed.

Not to mention overturned BS, boosters and other very fun moments.

9 Likes

Exactly. Both contents, PvE and PvP, aren’t just for hardcore cutting edge audience. Imagine having no normal, hc and mythic dungeons and instead you instantly are thrown into M+10. That’s how PvP feels right now.

Simple solution: DECREASE DAMAGE/HEALING BOOSTS FROM COOLDOWNS and increase constant damage/healing. That way both teams have to do more than just popping cds at right time.

And please revert crit multiplier change. PvP really doesn’t need more rng dependant gameplay.

4 Likes

if ppl like me have people not doing anything but freeload in rated bgs
thats because keys and nathia drops no loot
so revert the no loot changes so it can be meaningful again

and maybe then epic bg on both sides will have fewer rare doers/let them win pls
players

bring comp stomp back

2 Likes

There’s plenty of “chill zero cr” groups with 190 ilvl reqs. Also I think CR matters more than win ratio.

Currently having high win ratio is not that good for semi casual players as Wow uses the OW system for match making =.=

1 Like

Overwatch is alot better when they have K/D rating even what wow is missing.
if wow had K/D i would fram to 50.000 K/D rate like in all other games :rofl:

I am not feeling comfortable enough to comment on OW’s iterations of PvP, but I can say for sure that I did not enjoy it.

1 Like

Strange, I assumed it was W/L.

1 Like

“I cant win cause im bad”

Idk bro what u expected

Comp stomp was the biggest mistake blizzard did

I would say just spam random BGs. Practice is the best thing to get good at PvP, and BGs are full of frequent and varied engagements, so there’s a lot to be learned there. If you are a PvP player, you should also find them fun, so it should be a non-brainer. Or there are always Arena skirmishes.

You might be a bit discouraged from playing BGs if you have weak gear, but that weak gear will help you learn faster, as you will have to find clever ways of dealing with different situations instead of relying on your gear to do it for you.

And if all else fails, there’s always watching videos. Not even guide videos necessarily, just watching good players play you might pick up a few nice tricks.

Happy hunting!