Quel'dorei High Elves as an Alliance allied race

I want them for their lore and for how they’ll look in my transmog and those vanilla ones won’t look good in it.

1 Like

Edit: It’s the Enchanting Campaign, Not the Pally One.

If you play through the Legion Pally campaign, you actually do meet a female Satyr - She looks exactly the same as every other Satyr :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, while I do think Satyr would be a cool idea for an AR (We have a Void Race and a Light Race, we could use a proper Fel Race), they’d definitely be Horde as opposed to Alliance, so they’re not mutually exclusive with Helves.

My top pick would actually be Kurenai, but Helves are definitely top 5.

1 Like

At which part is that at as i don’t recall that.

After looking up this quest, I realise it’s actually part of the Enchanting Questline, not the Paladin one :stuck_out_tongue: Woops. I did them both at the same time so got mixed up.

Essentially, you go find a Satyr in Aszuna and purify them back into a Priestess of Elune. It starts with the quest: Cursed, but Convenient.

The Sin’dorei and Shal’dorei reign supreme! For the Horde! Alliance will pay for their betrayal.

1 Like

How exactly did The Alliance betray you elves rather it’s you who betrayed us One the sin’dorei barelly helped when they were The High elves And when their dead allies were turned against them they think The Alliance betrayed them. And the shal’dorei they locked themselves away and thought they’d get a warm welcome. Gen did the same thing but at least he knows not to side with those horde/scourge fiends.

2 Likes

Language fix:
How exactly did The Alliance betray you elves? Rather, it’s you who betrayed us. First of all, the sin’dorei barely helped back when they were still high elves, and when their dead allies were turned against them, they thought that the Alliance betrayed them. Secondly, the shal’dorei locked themselves away, and then thought they’d get a warm welcome. Genn did the same thing, but at least he knew not to side with those horde/scourge fiends.

And now, to answer your question. The Alliance Resistance in Lordaeron was lead by Grand Marshal Garithos, and under his command, the elves were treated like filth, to the point where he actually ordered the execution of the elven prince for cooperating with naga (which he did in order to survive tasks given to him by the Grand Marshal). You can say that Garithos was only one man, and that his actions alone wouldn’t warrant animosities towards the entirety of the Alliance, but at that point, he WAS the Alliance. He was the leader of the Alliance forces in Lordaeron, and his orders were followed. So, it was the Alliance, under orders of Garithos, that betrayed prince Kael’thas and the blood elves.

1 Like

But The Alliance had no idea about what he was doing to them.

Oh yeah, the Alliance of Lordaeron, which has nothing to do with Alliance of Stormwind. It is like saying, that Horde is responsible for Orgrim Doomhammer invading quel’thalas, therefore Blood elves shouldnt join the Horde.

2 Likes

While the current Alliance it’s technically another organisation, it was formed as a regrouping of the Alliance of Lordaeron, after that alliance’s fall in the Third War, holding many of the same members, and the same ideologies. There wasn’t even any official decimation of the AoL, as much as a change in it’s member base and organisation. The main seat moved from the fallen Lordaeron to Stormwind. It’d be more precise to say that the Grand Alliance as we know it today, is a direct continuation of the Alliance of Lordaeron.

The current Horde has a similar history, evolving out of the invading Horde from the First War.

2 Likes

Just to expand on the masterful summary that Azrathel has given, remember also the chronology of events; After the Second War, three Kingdoms left the Alliance of Lordaeron, Strom, Gilneas, and Quel’thalas. They all did so for the same reason, They disagreed with King Tyrenas about putting the Orcs in Internment camps, and instead advocated slaughtering them all. Ironically history would prove those kingdoms right, in terms of preventing the resurgence of the Horde under Thrall.

So after the Second War, the High Elves were no longer part of the Alliance, they were a neutral state, so had no obligations to the Alliance. In such circumstances it is hard to see any action they took as a Betrayal, they are just a separate country, going it alone. In fact if you play WC3 you see that even thought they don’t -have- to, there are plenty of High/Blood Elves who fought for the Alliance, despite their country not being part of it.

That may sound odd, but something I always say is, ‘If it happened in our real world, it isn’t unrealistic for Azeroth’. History is full of examples where individuals of neutral nations have went to fight for foreign countries. The American ‘Eagle Squadrons’ who fought in the Battle of Britain, the ‘Condor Legion’, Germans who fought in the Spanish Civil War. In fact the Spanish Civil war is a good example, people from all over the world took part in that, even though their actual countries stayed out of it.

So the Elves couldn’t really -betray- the Alliance, simply because they weren’t -part- of the Alliance…The help they did give, was essentially a ‘freebie’, they didn’t have to, they just chose to. This was still the case when they became the Blood Elves. Remember, they became Blood Elves -before- they became Horde, and they were still a neutral country at that point. In fact here’s a fun fact for you, the Rightful monarch renamed his people ‘Blood Elves’, this was before the whole Fel business, so the original Blood Elves had blue eyes, this means that every High Elf, with the singular exception of Alleria, was for a short time, a Blood Elf, between them adopting that name, and the Exile. Anyway, I digress, So the Blood Elves didn’t owe the Alliance anything, but they chose to aid them anyway. Sadly, as we know, the wrong man was in charge in the wrong place at the wrong time, and Othmar Garithos was not the most balanced of individuals. I mean if you’re English, and you go to fight the Germans in France, and the Germans then raid your home in England, you don’t blame the French for that, do you?

If you’re called Garithos, apparently you do. He blamed the Blood Elves for something they didn’t even do, in fact for something -he- did. Likely fuelled by his xenophobia, but then Blizzard never exactly described him as a reasonable or nice chap…

At the time, he was the Marshall of the Alliance of Lordaeron, which I fully agree, was not the same as the Grand Alliance now, but at the time…it was. So the Alliance as a body politic, did in fact betray the Blood Elves, and not the other way around, this was later only compounded by Dwarven espionage and outright military incursions by the Kaldorei, which ultimately drove the Blood Elves to seek new allies for protection, in the form of Thrall’s Horde.

The Alliance of Lordaeron, and the Grand Alliance -are- different entities, but at their core, they are the same, Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes allied together, with the remnant High Elves who broke away from Quel’thalas, now plus newer allies like the Kaldorei, Draenei, Gilneans etc…

To the eyes of the Blood Elves, who live for thousands of years, they’re not going to make that distinction, not because they experience time differently, but just because they likely think in a different way. Assuming a Hamster was as sentient and sapient as a human being, then the differences in our perceptions of time would be massive. Time passes at the same rate, but a year in terms of their life, would be like ten years in terms of a human life, Its still a year, but you can see that the difference in how we would experience it, would shape how we see things.

Basically the Grand Alliance, to an elven mindset , pretty much started up last Wednesday, before then it was the Alliance of Lordaeron. They’re not going to make a distinction…

As for the Shal’dorei, Yes, they closed themselves away. As did Gilneas, as did Quel’thalas, as did Stromgarde, as did the Kaldorei themselves. They are guilty of being isolationist, the only reason people think that is because, like Gilneas, the method they used was pretty drastic. They were doing what was best for their people, That’s hardly a sin.

I don’t even think they were expecting a warm welcome, when everything changed, I think they were open minded. Tyrande certainly didn’t help matters, but the Shal’dorei already had so much more in common with the Sin’dorei that it makes sense who they would ally with. Look at the quest dialogue, look at Thalyssra’s words, the Shal’dorei are in the Horde -because- of the Sin’dorei, because they have so much in common, and yes, on a basic level, they were nicer to them than the Kaldorei.

So really, both the Sin’dorei, and the Shal’dorei alliances make sense -from their perspective-. Remember, we as players know more than the NPC’s do, we see the whole picture, they just act based on what they experience.

1 Like

Today Hearthstone devs revealed “Vereesa Windrunner” card from the upcoming set. But that’s not the exciting part. What’s interesting is that she equips the player with “Thori’dal, the Stars’ Fury” when played. And she also wields the same bow on the card art. The bow, which is currently wielded in WoW by Halduron Brightwing, one of Blood Elven leaders. That’s super intriguing because it may hint towards Silvermoon Warfront being legit. It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds and whether Vereesa gets Thori’dal by force or because of some other events.

Of course, you may think that it means nothing and you might be correct. But the last time an existing lore character had an effect in Hearthstone that didn’t correspond to the actual lore at that time was Tirion Fordring, and he gave the player Ashbringer when he was killed. That was ~3 years before Tirion actually died in WoW and passed his weapon to the player, in line with his card effect.

5 Likes

Ion: “Josh. High Elves don’t exist and this topic should die out at some point.”

The team is listening to community feedback for what people want to play and will announce Allied races where it makes sense with the story.

That’s the latest official stance on the subject. And I don’t think there is any other race that has as much support all over the Internet as High Elves. Besides, at Blizzcon Alex Afrasiabi, who is Creative Director, said that “everything is possible in the future, don’t give up hope” when asked a High Elves-related question. Oh, and Jeremy Feasel, who is Senior Game Designer, acknowledged that they know that the community likes and wants High Elves.

4 Likes

Ion outranks both of them since he leads the entire team that is responsible for the game’s production/development. If he says no than he means no. Serveral times and counting still.

Fine, why are you still haunting this thread then? Get on with your life and just let it be. No one is forcing you to come here and read stuff, you know…

4 Likes

True but it isn’t solely his decision. He would be part of a senior leadership team with an Art Director, Creative Director etc… who would all have input into the games direction. I should imagine they also have some form of MI or analytics that would feed into decision making.

So while you are right he does have significant input into policy making. It isn’t solely his alone to decide.

High elves may be too similar to Blood Elves, but High elven blood is BLUE, not red like Blood elves have.

On a serious note, I have read the same thread in US forums and few weeks ago there was a nice theory that Blizz was actually going to give us High Elves, but they changed their mind very late and gave us Void elves instead, which is the reason why Void Elves have quite clumsy lore to begin with. They simply ran out of time making the lore and background better.

That is at the same time annoying and pleasant information as they almost gave us Helfs, but at the same time this means that we are probably not going to seem them in any time soon, if ever.

2 Likes

Yeah, the ‘Dragonhawk Rider’ card also shows a Goblin riding a Dragonhawk, we know that’s not how it works in lore or in game, I wouldn’t put too much hope in that, ‘Hearthstone’ is not a reliable indicator of canon lore, I don’t know why, They could have made it so, but they chose not to…

Vereesa taking Thori’dal from Halduron by force actually makes the -least- sense of all the elven interactions, as Vereesa and Halduron actually get on with each other we see this in the Zul’Aman raid, moreso than any other High Elf and Blood Elf.

Hearthstone is not a reliable lore source. I dabbled in it a bit, enough to get the magic horse, but even then I was like “Eeeehhh, Its using Warcraft as a base, but it ain’t lore correct”

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Not based on that, anyway.

Afrasiabi is known for making rash promises and even in game events that are not ‘on side’ with official Blizzard canon. Anyone remember Stonetalon Garrosh? Where he punishes a wayward general and looks like a semi decent person?
Yeah…
That was never meant to happen, and Afrasiabi had to make a statement saying that basically they had went off-message when writing that quest chain. Garrosh was -not- supposed to have redeeming factors like that, and -was- the thorough villain he seemed all along…
Again, this isn’t saying that High Elves won’t happen, I’m just saying it won’t be the first time Alex Afrasiabi might be wrong… so don’t build your hopes on that…

Pffft, that’s rich coming from a freakish Void Elf with purple blood! High Elven blood is Red, like the colours the loyalist Elves wear to remember the fallen! :slight_smile:

Know what I think?

You’re (and I say ‘you’re’ not because I object to it, just that I have no interest in playing one, same as I have no interest in playing an LFD or HM Tauren) not going to get them this expansion, This is exactly the time that it would -not- make sense,

However…

Blizzard did say that this expansion would mark the end of the Faction War.

Whatever comes next…well, that would be the ideal time for playable High Elves…

I don’t think any of us will really know till then… I reckon they’ll come with the next expansion…

1 Like

He’s never wrong, he just retcons pre-established things to make himself right.