Quel'dorei High Elves as an Alliance allied race

It’s so weird! I can’t find that quote anywhere. Why is that?

It’s not black with purple swirls?

I think and hope you’re right.

I seem to remember it being purple but to be honest, ah, found it its under (not surpringly) ‘Void Elf’ on Wowpedia (generally a reliable source) Its in the trivia bit at the bottom and says ‘In game, their blood is purple’

Thought I was going dotty there for a moment :smiley:

1 Like

It’s a joke from Talisen and Evitel. But it sums up the pov of Ion on High Elves well enough. Don’t take it too literally :wink:

Take by force? What about if they become lovers? And it was a gift to her from him?

It depends, a lot changed since Zul’Aman, Theramore, Rhonins Death, the Purge of Dalaran, That would have to be some pretty extreme Romeo and Juliet stuff to make it work… They may not -hate- each other, but for them to become Lovers is just, ehh, I can’t see it…

I also can’t see that option going down well with Lor’themar and Rommath. I think they’d be better with Vereesa getting something new for herself, maybe perhaps that could be reflected in a High Elf Allied Race questchain to unlock them? The player helps Vereesa claim a powerful weapon, a symbol of pride to the Quel’dorei, and this in turn rallies from all over the world, the refugees, to band them as one people, with one drive and aim.
Ehh, just an idea.

4 Likes

Oh they are very cosy in Legion, hunters hall… very cosy.

And not everything has to be about faction allegiance and patriotism, love is one of those things that is known to transcend such bonds when it hits home.

Well it was at the top of a pretty cold mountain :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, but, lets face it, everyone was… I mean as Brigante I was like "Why have I got this Silver Covenant -Witch- in my Hall? I lost good friends during the Purge.

So everyone was pretty cosy in that place, but, as you say, perhaps the hatred some Blood Elves would feel towards her, does not apply to him, though I don’t recall any dialogue between that that looked ‘cosy’ in an innuendo way, but I could be mistaken.

Oh absolutely it is, I mean that is specifically why I referenced Romeo and Juliet, the Montagues and Capulets are an almost perfect analogy for a relationship that forms between rival Houses…(Though for it really to work, there would have to be a massive number of Montagues, and a tiny number of Capulets :stuck_out_tongue: )

I just think that with the Faction War burning as hot as it is, it seems like an unlikely time for ‘love to bloom across a battlefield’, even after the dust settles, I just can’t see it, but then it really does depend on several factors, not the least of are:

Will they both survive the events of BfA? These days no one is safe it seems.
Is Vereesa ready enough for Love again? in terms of life experiences her husband pretty much got vaporised last week, in terms of an Elven lifespan. (Not elf years, as years are the same for all)

How prideful is Halduron, how set in his ways? He’s a Farstrider, and they are notorious for being old fashioned in their views, hence the feud between them and the new Blood Knights back in TBC. If he is set in his ways, is he going to be able to handle to social stigma of the fact that her children are half-breeds, and how other Blood Elves will see that? I mean he is the Military leader of all Quel’thalas’ units (Yep, he’s actually Liadrin’s boss), and as such surely has to be impeccable in their propriety?

How is it going to look to the High Elf refugees? She jumps into bed with the General of the hated ones who kicked them out of their homes, just to get a sparkly bow? She’d have a hard time leading them after such a thing…

However, despite feuds, these things do happen, in Blood of the Highborne it is heavily stated or implied that Lor’themar and Liadrin are actually a ‘thing’ just very low-key about it. So sure, He’s a Farstrider, She’s a Blood Knight, they -shouldn’t get along.

But, They are a ‘thing’ -before- the Blood Knights were formed, when she was a Priestess of the Light, so it -is- a bit different.

Its an interesting idea, it just jars slightly with the characters involved…

2 Likes

Hi, english is terrible and I mostly hate it. (Screw the H in particular.)

So as said french… Well, obviously I’m going to advise reading too because this is where you’re going to find the vocabulary, but you don’t necessarily need to read books if you follow me? If you play RPG games (I’m thinking Pillars of Eternity for example), the old school ones should have good expanded vocabulary in their translation.
The way that worked for me, after reading, was to practice, as simply. For me it was RP; the first few months, I was constantly, constantly with the online translator open next to me. I distinctly recall a RP where I had to search for flat. Yep, that basic sometimes. But after a while, it comes more easily.

… I’ve nothing to say about high elves themselves, this thread is my “Once every 15 days popcorn” thread at this point.
(low death to Vereesa)

5 Likes

Thank you guys for your tips :slight_smile:

Nightborne have a completely different aesthetic to night elves. Just because they were built on the same framework doesn’t make them the same.

3 Likes

Is this the longest thread in the history of the forum? Curious …
Well, I am sure that what I am going to post has already been written before, I have not been able to read the almost 7000 responses, so I will expose something that has already been mentioned before, but I wanted to dig a little deeper.

The High Elves and the Ogres

Much has been speculated and imagined about these two races and their inclusion in the game, even though in terms of ‘’ Lore ‘’ they have always been there. With all the events of Battle for Azeroth and the conflict of the factions burning more than ever, I think that the inclusion of these races is the best thing that Blizzard could do, analyzing everything carefully, that would be how I imagined it, at least, as’ ‘re-introduction’ 'from these races to the Lore of the game in 8.3 or even in 8.2.5. Making them playable for the next expansion.

Since the Horde arrived in Azeroth and the Alliance was created as an answer, there have always been two races that have been together with their factions from the beginning and have not been given the visibility they deserved. It has been a long time and with the conflict reaching a boiling point, these races are again manifesting to claim their rightful place along with their factions.

On the one hand, the Ogres have been with the Orcs and the Horde almost since their creation, they have transmitted their knowledge about magic and marched with them in almost all their battles. Like Rexxar, many Semi-Ogres came to life from the union of both races, who shared a bond forged in the blood and heat of battle. Many years have passed and many ended up taking refuge in mountains, in steppes and deserts, in forests and swamps after all the changes that the Horde has had. Now, the faction faces a moment of internal crisis while they are at war with The Alliance. Rexxar decides to find his brothers and give them back the place they deserve, as allies and as brothers.

On the other side of the Mare Magnum, the third war had decimated and divided the village of the High Elves. The newly baptized Blood Elves joined the Horde while a minority decided to remain loyal to The Alliance, High Elves that since the second war and even before, had shared ties with humans and other races since their first union with humans of Arathor, giving rise to Semi-Elves, although these always called themselves High Elves because only they can decide, that they are and they are not. Arathor, son of Turalyon and Alleria, decides to go out to look for his brothers who have lived throughout the Eastern Kingdoms, to be considilar as legitimate members of the blue faction.

This would be a summary of the activity that would have towards the end of expansion, or, for the next.
The main role of all this would be with the objective that the players rediscover what it is that makes The Horde and The Alliance who they are, what are the ties that bind them, why they are united, and what they expect for the future. Through the Ogres and the High Elves, a spectrum is presented so that the player feels that pride of faction, with who is more affine and why they fight. I think all this would help Blizzard remind us who is who, to relive that feeling of everyone when they first came to WoW and remember why they shouted their first: ‘’ For The Horde! ‘’ And ‘’ For The Alliance! ‘’ ’

Now, what kind of plots or stories would be told to embody the above? Well, I had some ideas:

Along with Rexxar, the Champion travels to different sites of Kalimdor, visiting the shelters and places where the Ogres live, emphasizing what was his role in the past battles, why they would return to be consolidated as a force in the Horde and in turn , reviewing their history, how other races came together and why they should stay true to their principles, and what they expect their faction to be in the future. The Semi-Ogres rediscover the history of their parents and the Horde. The Champion will be the one who shows them who is the Horde either through dialogue options or different forms of interaction. Letting the player welcome their faction.
I think it would be a way for Blizzard to explore new narrative techniques in order to achieve greater immersion and involvement in their own history and that of the people.

Along with Arathor, the Champion travels through the main cities and establishments of The Alliance, remembering how it was created, who shaped it and who have joined. They discover what Anduin Lothar, the last of the Arathor, thought was and would be The Alliance in the future. As separated they were weak and as they joined, they have proved to be the force that protects people from their kingdoms. From simple citizenship, through the Silver Pact and up to the Seventh Legion. The High Elves tell the player why they stayed with their brothers in arms. How they first chose their families, their friends and brothers won in past battles rather than follow the Blood Elves to Kalimdor. The Champion discovers what his faction is who they are and is the one in charge along with Arathor to unite the dispersed High Elf groups to reconsolidate as founding members of the Alliance of Lordaeron, and how together they protected themselves and saved them from annihilation.
It would be the Champion himself in the presence of the leaders of The Alliance, who signs and carries the statute to sign (or some other symbolic form of their union) to Anduin and the leader that the High Elves designate.

All these would be great opportunities for Blizzard to innovate and tell interfacing stories that would be memorable. For example, for the High Elves I have always imagined a story based on ‘’ The Man in the Iron Mask ‘’, (or woman) who lies in some dungeon of Quel’Thalas, hidden by the group of Magisters that ‘’ they delighted "the minds of the citizens who refused to join The Horde, hidden even from Lor’Themar. His identity would be a relative of the Sun Walkers, making him the heir that Theron has always hoped for. This plot would be focused on ratifying the differences beyond the aesthetic and bring a good story to the Blood Elves and High Elves, presenting an internal crisis and that would lead to the first, led by Lor’Themar who must decide between his loyalty to the crown or to the Horde. And the High Elves, led by the heir to recover their place in The Alliance and the territory of Quel’Thalas, leading to a possible War Front.

This at the end of expansion or, for a future.

And how would its inclusion as playable races ?, Well, the main thing would be to include them with the original races instead of the allied races. The creation system will allow the innovation of choosing who their parents were first. That Orc and Ogre allowed this new hero to reach the world (Or if they were two ogres), It would have the possibility to regulate their size, their posture, a personalization based on trinkets or piercings, pyro tattoos or normal tattoos with the possibility of tattoo the symbol of the Horde. In the High Elves, they would choose not only the Elves themselves, but also if the human was a normal one or one of Kul’Tiras (demonstrating in the size and musculature of this High Elf.) To make the differences more palpable with their Blood Elves and Voild Elves brothers, would be the possibility of regulating the size and inclination of their ears, a wide variety of hairstyles (most of them being too long), being able to have dark or brown skin, choosing to remove or allow light (blue) in the eyes and, of course, the tattoos (Highlighting the possibility of having the symbol of The Alliance of Lordaeron tattooed).
As classes, both races would have the possibility to be any kind of game with the exception of Paladins in the Ogres and Shamans in the Elves, this as a nod to the principles of WoW.

And finally, the racial and the leveling.

Well, let’s make it clear that although the leveo system received a cut to allow faster level ups, there are still many players who find it difficult to create a new MC and level it for all the content that the Classic brought. Following what I wrote before, I think Blizzard could experience new narrative and immersive techniques. Depending on who the new hero’s parents were, several missions from their ‘’ Start Zone ‘’ would undergo small or large changes. Asking you at the beginning if you knew your parents or not, and even that the MC is introduced as a child, with a system of routes based on the previous elections and where each mission rewards you with one or more levels (this is written thinking about the narratives of TLOU or GOW so that the player has a more personal involvement with the game and the world, going from his childhood (exploring a little how was his relationship with his parents and / or his faction in the process) to his stage as an adult, the player chooses whether his allegiance to his faction is inherited by his parents or because he was forged by his own experiences Leaving his Starting Zones to the world of WoW at level 60

About the racials, I had thought that the High Elves could choose in their Starting Zone where they come from, Quel’Thalas, Khaz Modan, Stormwind, etc. leading to a similarity with the ‘’ Embrace the Loa ‘’ of the Zandalaris, with different passives depending on which is chosen. For the Ogres, it would be similar.

And that’s all … I’ve always wanted to study videogame development and become someone who can one day bring good experiences to players around the world. I recently started studying taking advantage of the fact that I earned a decent machine to start working on, so everything I wrote is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time even before I found this thread. I hope that at least this helps you to imagine a bit of that fantasy that I have about these races and about WoW, and that they find it fun and interesting.

1 Like

From the new forums, yes. From the old, for a single thread, yes.
But I can imagine classic or flying might be there beaten by quantity.

And here ladies and gentlemen, is what Alliance mains and High Elf fanatics really want. Stealing stuff from the other side just because they think they deserve it. Nothing else to be added to explain.

2 Likes

Ignore the Belf with a chip on his shoulder, this is a really well written post and, unlike the aforementioned Belf, actually adds to the debate.

I do think the High Elves would likely be added as Allied Races - They fit into the established criteria - but I can see Ogres being added as either. It depends which route they go - In theory they could use the Kul Tiran Rig, making them plausibly an Allied Race, or (More Likely) the existing Ogre rig as a proper race.

The character creation idea is really interesting! Being able to choose between Helves and Half Elves via parentage could help bring together those who want Half-Elves and those who want full High Elves, although you’d still need to settle on a name to call the race. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I’m not so keen on the KT/Helf idea, since, as far as I’m aware, there isn’t as significant overlap between Kul’Tirans and Helves as with Mainlanders, and a crossbreed from the KT rejoining in BfA would still be a baby in-game.

I also definitely like the idea of having tattoos with more meaning, like the Lordaeron L for example. You’d have to ensure they were still in the right style, but it’s a great idea IMO.

I suppose the only other thing I’d add is that we should be wary of being too ambitious. Creating one super race with whole new mechanics for customization would make the other races feel spurned unless you granted the same to them.
It’s possible, don’t get me wrong, but it’d be a lot of work and could make it less likely to be added.

Overall there are some really good ideas in your post which I’ve not heard before - It’s great to have fresh voices and views in this thread! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As far as I know, many (I dare say most) of the posters here do not want Quel’Thalas to be conquered by the Alliance (High elves)…

As for the suggestion, I’ve made one earlier. It is kinda similar, although it features High elves + Half elves as one race (Aeddari, just a made up name) with the same model, but with a range of customisation options, which would define if you are pureblood High elf or of mixed origin - Half elf. More emphasis should go to Half-elves, because presumably they can hold bigger population than High elves.

It would not be a stretch, because we’ve seen some races in WoW which have vastly different models, looking at you KTs, when they should have the same model. Your idea was to give different body types for each, but we have not seen that being added to any other race and I doubt, that this one could get it.

Yeah, to balance it, the Horde should get Mok’Nathal + Ogres as a faction, again with you as a player deciding according to your customisation options, if you are an ogre or Mok’Nathal, still with one model, that could work as well.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this is the longest thread, but I do know that yours is the longest post in history.

My gosh, please provide us with a tl;dr :flushed:

1 Like

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is what Erevien and anti High Elf fanatics always do: make the opinion of one single player the general accepted opinion of a whole community.

I wonder why you guys wonder you get called trolls.

5 Likes

And here ladies and gentlemen, is what Alliance mains and High Elf fanatics really want. Stealing stuff from the other side just because they think they deserve it. Nothing else to be added to explain.

Err… Erevien, the thing was, that the horde needed pretty race to balance the factions. So they took old alliance of Lordaeron race, twisted them beyond recognizion to fit the Horde values and gave very… feeble reason for them to join the horde. Simply different values of original race and trolls in horde should have give the high elves a pause. They were only horde race that wasn’t primal, tribal. Not to mention that mana junkies with salutation “death to all who oppose us” and mind controlling into submission everyone among themselfs who does is a horde value (so far - unfortunately they go with “morally gray” theme since Legion, so alliance might turn into blue horde very quickly vide void elves). So it is not horde that was stolen from here. Modern alliance is regrouping of old alliance of Lordaeron races.
What exactly the players here want is to revive something that was lost - 90% of red high elves survivors are not what they were. They do not fit the alliance - different culture, different values. We DON’T want them in alliance.
About that intriguing (for me too) unknown number of high elves allied with alliance - the thing is that it is opening Pandora’s box. Apart from silver convenant which must stay at least theoretically neutral (or changing) to give freedom of writing, we don’t know anything about them. See how the game is breaking under her own weight??
The zones are frozen in time -we meet someone in vanilla, and very often it is the last time we see them. We know too little about them. They are not the only ones - Gilneas is… very strangely frozen; what about interactions between shedralar and nightborne? There are some stories left hanging since WoTLK.
What I am trying to say is that it is the only “allied race” that wasn’t isolated, under some dome, redicovered and so on. But they were left hanging. Alliance high elves are one of these groups, whose lore is almost non existant - knowledge of them existing is not the same as they having the lore. If they had some lore, we would knew straight away if they might be allied race or not. Some of them turned wretched, some of them went void. What about the rest? Did they form some groups, did they build anything? If they didn’t -why? Too few of them, do they wait for incentive? No settlements over ley lines, especially after nexus war? No schools of magic, libraries or something apart from Dalaran?
I am one of those NOT fanatics whe we talk about playable High Elves. Becouse non-convenant high elves are in predicament becouse they were not isolated for some reason, but also their lore is feeble, I do not want them as an allied race until they develope them futher.
Yes, if we discover another island with some race on it, they might work as an allied race, but not a race that is existing for so long and we know so few about them.
I simply want justice to the High Elves so they will be turned into race with cities and culture, and not be turned into customization option. So far they are hanging.
That being said, I really did not see the void elves coming. I will hold my horses until I know more about that “we have alliance values”. We know that blood elves who did not agree to go horde were mind controlled into submission. I wondered why they did not cancelled that Silvermoon scene since BC.
I consider VE more intriguing then high elves. But I need some point of reference as to see difference between them and the rest of blood elves (Values?) . Void is not enough. It was sneaky move to create a race that participate in BE history. VE took 90% of reasons why I played blood elves on horde side which I seriously dislike and gave them to alliance. What I admired about blood elves was:
-tough past
-society driven by knowledge and not shying away from… questionable sources of it (actually BE are probably most tolerant race in this aspect)
-one of these races “oops, we f#$@ed up something, now we try to turn a new leaf”. Up until Legion alliance races were always “ideal” as in: “we did not make big mistakes as a race”.
-I prefer black and white world, with alliance “good” and horde “evil”. But of they really want to destroy uniqueness of the game to mold it into “morally grey” than I will enjoy from it what I can.

1 Like

At this point, half elves are probably not nearly as numerous as high elves. In time (we’re talking centuries or millennia here) that might change.

That might actually be really cool (though I prefer Darkfallen) - to give both factions a race with a halfbreed mix with the most common, iconic race of that faction, as customisation options. Because I really like the idea of Darkfallen for the Horde, I’d love to see them get the option of using any of the other elf races as base models. That might balance out the choice high elves might get between fullblooded high elves and half elves.

1 Like