Quitting WoW

I’m seriously thinking of quitting the game, not just because of this kind of things (which is enough of a reason), but the way they treat workers and the way the look at us, the clients is something I can’t support

This may seem childish, impulsive or whatever, but look at what we allow to ourselves as a human race… It is just a game but it’s the prime example of everything that has been happening lately in the world.
People doing fantastic job and having great ideas to make something entertaining and fun with a lot of quality behind it, are chained and being dragged around by some greedy **** who just can’t get enough.

Hundreds of people getting fired in the middle of the crisis, not because the company doesn’t do well, but because they could do “better”, cutting the “unnecessary” loses and providing an unfinished product with less investing (but finished enough to keep people playing) and milking the money from us.

And we are the ones enabling it. Not just here, everywhere in the world.

P.S. Sorry for the outburst and the long text, dunno if anyone cares

61 Likes

maybe i’m just cynical but i don’t see why this would be something you think about

i am a player of world of warcraft, not a union organiser for video game industry workers rights

14 Likes

its your money
If you want to stop giving it to them its your choice

10 Likes

If you feel that way, feel free to play :slight_smile:
I’m just sharing my thoughts how us, the players, are contributing to all this mess

3 Likes

Enjoy your own personal guilt trip. Companies hire and fire all the time, it’s just as legitimate.

4 Likes

Closing down an office of 285 people just to gain more control and more profit to the higher tiers of the company isn’t something that should be considered normal, at least from my point of view.

13 Likes

You can’t justify this by arguing that “it happens anyway”. I am glad someone is calling Activision out for their outright immoral decisions regarding employee rights and the compensation of lower level employees such as customer service.

15 Likes

Companies exist with the sole purpose of making money for their shareholders within the law. Everything else is a byproduct.

If the board believes they will make more money in some other way they are obliged to put that money to work in other projects and places.

1 Like

Yeah its sad to see Blizzard slowly being eroded bit by bit. Simply put I’ll leave the game when another viable option is there. I just dont like anything else on the market. I refunded shadowlands but may repurchase if i see enough improvement in beta.

None of my real life friends play WoW anymore so the things that keep me here are getting less and less.

Incorrect. I see nothing morally wrong with firing. Money doesn’t grow on trees, and I’m sure you are glad your company can pay your wages.

So yeah, jobs are created and destroyed all the time, let’s not be childish.

2 Likes

That is the main problem and it wouldn’t be if there was a border to how far it can go like that.
Let’s say I have a monopoly of Bakeries and I plot to sell a bread that’s left from yesterday instead of baking new ones to cut my loses and also in the process firing all the bakers who wanna bake fresh instead. Would that be the world that you want to live in?

Wow is just an example of consumerism and the era we live in .Fat Ceo and the employees skip meals .

Rearranging numbers to feel that the game has improvements or they added new stuff , hype , streamers promoting pretty much 0 content . A pallet of colors for prepatch ? A squish ?

4 Likes

There’s anti monopoly laws and if you sell stale bread the market will soon put you out of business. Bad analogy.

I’m sorry I hope fired people get a job soon, but there’s no moral argument. I had a small start up a few years back, market changed and we had to lay off 15 workers, alternative was worse, so yeah, whatever.

1 Like

Obviously that was one extreme example, but within each year it gets closer to that.
Something like that happens of course, but this was not done because the market changed, it was purely out of greed.

big brain response right here

8 Likes

Dude whatever you believe in, that’s fine and I don’t mind, but you realise that the people who got laid off a year ago or so were told they didn’t have a job the day they came into the office. No heads-up, they arrived in the morning and left before they had time to have lunch. And all that after Activision-Blizzard announced they had a great financial year but decided to cut costs anyway.

Of course we all get the idea of having to lay people off when you need to, but Activision-Blizzard at no point needed this money. This was a cheap move, and not just for the people who were working their dream job but also the people who have to support their families while having to live in some gentrified part of California.

While I agree that getting laid off is sometimes part of life and sometimes necessary, there’s no need to stick to the basic principles of a capitalist society while ignoring the practical side. Motivated employees will work harder and provide better results. Consumers who actually enjoy the game will keep playing it not because they are stuck with it, but because they appreciate the quality and the craftsmanship of it.

EDIT

Also, yes, I am glad I get paid for my work, but I am not working there simply because I get paid, but also because I feel appreciated and like the work I am doing, and because my employer is supporting me in my aspirations and ambitions. Something that I value a lot more than my compensation.

12 Likes

get off your high horse man… you didnt give a hoot about this UNTIL acti-blizz did it

your local supermarket fires a bunch of people, do you stop going there? do you even care? do you even notice?

nah probably not because there isnt some twitter hatebridage going out of their way to find negative stuff to complain about

does it suck they lost their job? sure it does… but lets not pretend we actually care all that much

3 Likes

no your so arrogant its annoying… ive seen you comment on other topics i aint gonna even bother with you, not worth it.

1 Like

‘‘hmm you disagree with me? you must be DUMB’’

Loramus… i kneel

2 Likes

no the way you are about things is disturbing and arrogant, a very narcissistic and self-entitlement point of view, i dont know your age but you seem like the perfect bi-product of todays Generation raised/brain washed by social media, or i might be wrong? maybe its just a empathy problem in your personality :smiley:

2 Likes