Quitting WoW

So true! God, I’m so happy Morhaime is back at it. I have massive hope for Dreamhaven!

3 Likes

false information like this just spreads like wildfire doesnt it… just because a few ex-blizz employees work there doesnt mean ALL do

people said the same stuff about Bonfire and they havnt done anything yet either… Dreamhaven wont release a damn thing for years to come and even if they do its no guarantee it’ll even be a hit

not to mention it was Mike who was steering the ship and pointed it at the abyss, who says he’ll be a better captain this time around?

I mean do u want to play wow 90% of the day? Have u thought about the people working on this game are people too? Like do you think they intentionally make the game unplayable?
But yes i agree it should work. sh!t happens
Just go do something else ? its not the end of the world

Yep, hopefully he will be able to keep control this time and create the company I’m sure he originally visioned Blizz North / Silicon & Synapse to be.

Really looking forward to what those teams do in the future.

1 Like

Unfortunately he was a victim of his own success and needed the support of a larger company. Unfortunately a bi-product of that was his control being slowly eroded away as has been witnessed over the years.

Have you even looked at the lineup on their teams?

Also, it takes time to make good games, it’s what those Devs are known for. Sure anyone can rush a trash game out. Take splice in the fact that they are taking their time

yeah… poor mike :wink:

i know it takes time, which is why its hard to get excited for something years down the line IF everything goes to plan

but to each their own

Not poor Mike, he got out way too late in my opinion. But glad we may have a chance to once again see an ethical games company. I’m old enough to remember how S&S was founded and it would be nice to see something good in the cesspit of game publishing companies we currently have.

It’s pretty telling of an industry when Micro$oft are the ones being commended for pro consumer practices with the game pass over everyone else.

I agree with you though. It’s a big IF, they have a mountain to climb to be successful, it doesn’t hurt to cheer them on though.

By that logic OP you should stop using almost anything made by corporations.

Most of them are using cheap labour, apples worker dorms have suicide nets to catch jumpers, your clothes are probably made in squalor and whatever you eat drive or consume is killing polar bears and cute kittens.

I’m not saying Blizz is perfect or even good but if you’re going to do this then do it properly. Don’t come here - likely bored - and then virtue signal because you got miffed at a login queue.

1 Like

I disagree. He’s shedding light on an issue regarding a property and company he cares about.

By your logic, if you’re not living in the wild on berries and fruit, you don’t have a say in capitalism going unchecked?

1 Like

I take your point, I guess it just felt like Blizz bashing wrapped up in a cocoon of self righteousness :stuck_out_tongue:

But we all know I’m a cynical :panda_face:

Don’t worry, it seems be increasingly common these days, and get it :cowboy_hat_face:

you are a good person, and your heart is in the right place but your head isnt. we all should know by now that our cash is not going to make much difference to blizzard. it would take massive action and we arent that organised. we dont have any obligations to each other, there is no gamers union that can stop us all paying for the game.
we can believe a company is doing wrong but still play the game they produce. because if we dont, we only hurt ourselves.
there has to be other types of changes in society.
we have to talk amongst each other and come to agreements among ourselves about what type of values we hold. this is called manipulating the zeitgeist. we talk to each other and agree what we all want.
after all, a lot of people like warcraft. if we stop playing this game, what other game like this is there to play, that doesnt mistreat their staff?

It’s usually people like you who make the world miserable.
This might seem raw, but yeah.
Cruelty is easier to adopt than Kindness.
He thinks about this because he might have gone through bad sh1t, just like I have.
Being dependant on a job, putting out your damn heart for something good, for some POS to just fire you because he wants an extra 700 dollars to his millions.
Id be homeless, or unable to use electricity or water without my job, which I hate, but I still need it.
People who have everything in life will never think of this, and in a way I don’t blame them, they don’t know what it’s like living with difficulties.
But don’t be so surprised people have some actual empathy towards others.
Workers are being fired for no reason.
Coronavirus didn’t majorly affect gaming because it is something you can obviously do AWAY from others.
Get it?

5 Likes

I don’t want to hurt your feeling or call you dumb, but to argue “inteligent” people usually don’t swear and call people stupid. They look at choises of others, say their piece of mind, cut their losses and move on to somewhere else, since it is pointless as you said.
And it is as you say… It is hard to win an argument with a inteligent person, and impossible to win it with a stupid one… suprisingly because stupid people just tend to call others stupid, or entirely negating what the others say even if evidence says otherwise when they disagree.

1 Like

yeah this sucks but to get outraged about it just because its acti-blizz while casually ignoring every other massive corporation doing the same is hypocritical

if you really care so much about this stuff look through your house for everything “made in china” or something similar, ever wondered about who really made it? how those workers get treated?

life gets pretty miserable if you allow yourself to get outraged by these type of things all the time… the system is crap, humanity is greedy and it wont change in our lifetime

im not against OP, but i am against selective outrage

3 Likes

just to point out, the fundamental rules of capitalism…

buy low
sell high

and acti blizz is a publicly traded company with thousands or even millions of individual buyers and sellers applying the rules of capitalism. every single one of those wants the share price to go up constantly. this is all such a different kettle of fish to the concept of simply making a video game. the whole thing is much more complicated.
they dont make their gains just from selling a good game. restructuring and layoffs is all part of the profit game.
the best thing any of us could do is educate ourselves on how capitalism works and how it effects this company.

You are right that it isn’t right to do that. And that greed is a bad thing. Yet there is also truth in the mind of those saying this is how it is, and we can hardly do something about it. I am not saying it because of non-empathy, or disagreement. Just because when I thought about, what would happen if many of us un-sub as a protest for how they treat their Blizzard workers…
There are few options…

The one we want is that Activision will wake up, or whoever is in charge there and act like a decent human being. Or game will survive, we will be happy. Great.
Sadly, this is option that has low chance of happening, just because humans.

Another option is that Blizzard will be sold to someone who will be nicer to them and care for them. Basically, another win-win.
This is also small chance to happen.

The next option we have is that Blizzard will be bought by familiar/worst company. And sadly, I have the feeling there are more “big bad companies” then the good ones.

And the last… sadly… Activision will just turn of the servers and let go of the team… making more people without work. And I fear this is the most likely to happen. (being close to tie with the 3. option) Just because they will not make as much money. And no-one, in the bigger circles, will buy something that has no profit.

You can judge me and prove me wrong. I am young person, a teenager, so I know nothing about how real-world works.
Please if you have the need educate me, I will only welcome it.
But also remember we are here to debate not call each other idiots just for having different opinions.

1 Like

Everyone who quits over this, is only helping more people get fired. Because less people who are playing, is lower income.

Well, you never heard about economics then.
Many companies keep ‘‘optimizing’’ income / costs ratios and shoot for high profit ratios.
Thats not an Activision Blizzard move, its called running a business.

We are not enabling anything, we arent responsible for how the economy works and how businesses operate.

Once again, simple economics.
Activision Blizzard is creating WoW and all related products / services to generate revenue and profit.
If something doesnt add up, they will easily remove it or change it.

Which can be cancelling merchandise items, or simply laying off staff.
Nothing new.

Does it suck for all the staff involved? certainly does.

Are they handling it in a proper manor? Tbh i dont have a clue because i am not sure with what kind of benefits they walk away from the job. (i have read they get paid for a few more months, but not sure if thats correct)

But when Blizzard staff gets laid off, here some people are:
I will quit because Blizzard laid off some staff or i am against staff getting laid off.

But when i lose my job because my company will optimize profits, nobody riots (except me)
And like someone else said: is this your response to all companies who let staff go?

So if your ISP fires 200 people to optimize profits, do you switch over to another ISP?

TLDR: if you wanna quit, fine and just quit. But dont tell yourself you have to do it over some very understandable business decisions which you disagree with somehow.

This is taken out of context.
They had a great year, but the forecast for the next fiscal year looked not good. You can only do 2 things to save that fiscal year

1. cutting costs
  2. increasing revenue

In a project based business, increasing revenue is not always possible.

Not like I want to defend their decisions, but I understand where they come from. In the CEOs office you won’t recognize people, you will only see numbers, as hard as it sounds. Usually you cannot run a company well if you always think about the smallest employees and how to give them benefits.
It is the sad truth, coming from someone who leads a company as well.

Also some employees are happy to get fired with a fat compensation of e.g. 1 year salary. It is probably not the best time to find a new job though…

I could care but my beliefs would shock people.
Democracy is a joke.
While people keep believing words and campaigns will do anything, corruption will occur.
We could easily deal with corruption, and imbeciles with a bit of powder, guillotines and whatnot.
So like I said, I can merely watch.