Racials are the original covenants - Remove them

Hello,

no one liked 9.0 covenants because:

• You had to wait 2 weeks to change it
  • Progress was resetted (IIRC, at least to some degree)
  • the “meaningful choice” wasn’t meaningful but annoying because you wanted to be a fancy butterfly yet had to be a bony ugly monster because it was bis.

Now let’s look at racial:

• You can’t change the race without either paying or creating a new character. And you disliked 2 weeks?
  • If you pay, progress stays. If you don’t, progress is gone.
  • You just wanna play a nice night elf rogue yet you have to play an orc because bis. Leads to people use those model changing tools.

We conclude: Remove racials.

Edit: Alternatively disable them in arena, bg, m+ and raids.

6 Likes

Well just create a new character then.

That’s cool, just sounds like more game to play.

I play what I want. I don’t think anyone cares I play a Belf Mage over a Troll mage. And if they do, that’s good because it means I’m not going to have to be playing with someone like that.

We conclude: Keep racials, although maybe balance them a little better.

The average player is severely overestimating the power of racials, and has been for years. It’s not that big of a deal even in high end raiding and M+. Maybe it is a bigger deal in PvP but I can’t say since I don’t do PvP.

Except for specific cases where you need a goblin jump or arcane torrent, it really doesn’t matter, and even in those cases it won’t make a different for most people.

It’s also a myth that Aliance is dead because Horde has better racials.

I’d say a better fix would be to get rid of those racials that stand out too much like those I mentioned rather than flat out removing all of them. But they’re already extremely minor now and there’s almsot never a valid gameplay reason to race change anyway and if there is, it’s more of a design issue like some classes being unable to survive pre-nerf spikes on Painsmith without goblin jump.

On the other hand, the racials at least mostly make sense within the race, unlike covenant abilities.

1 Like

False.
Plenty of people liked them.

That’s those players’ own fault. They don’t need BiS.

No ‘we’ don’t.
You do. And I disagree with you.

Racials are cool and make race choice unique. That’s a GOOD thing.

Better option yeah. But I’d like to add a caveat to that list: Not raids and dungeons that are legacy content.

3 Likes

And why do people play alts?

It shouldn’t be, but there are a few that are massively overtuned, most notably orcs and night elves.

I personally disagree strongly with the OP. I think racials are very fun, and I think covenant abilities could have been, too, PROVIDED THAT THEY WERE LIKE MOST RACIALS.

Unfortunately they were not. They are much, much more powerful - not to mention the soulbinds, which I didn’t want in the game at all.

The concept of racials is absolutely fine. Nerf NE/Orc.

Racials shouldnt be in pvp if you are horde and u dont play orc as an class that can play orc you are quite literaly trolling and throwing 20% less time in cc is really op, humans have a 2nd “trinket” though its extremely useless if you ask me, night elf rogues/druids can get insta restealth with meld and that basically gives rogues 3 stealths they can open with a leggo that crits their 1st ability while in stealth making it a 1 shot thing again…

In pve i dont really think racials matter as much ofc some of them can be really strong likemeld etc in certain situations but i its w.e

Not true a lot of guild only wants to min max and some m+ groups would kick you if u didnt play bis or if u wanna play NF for 1 dungeon and then u couldnt go to another covenant because of the 2 weeks thing

Yea but thats most likely just casuals where it doesnt affect them

Yes and no racials can be good, but in pvp they shouldnt be there imo

I mean it generally wouldnt matter since you can solo it anyway so sure ig

This. However, comparing nightborne and orc in PvP setting the winner is clear as a day. You can’t quite be on par with 1% magical damage increase and 2minute aoe slow to a kit, where you get pseudo-badge and 20% stun reduction. This is made worse by such a fast paced PvP in regards of damage, that it boosts the value of stun reduction as, usually, kills happen in a stun. (Sidenote: being an orc also changes the stunlock rotation for rogues to adapt on the player race. You can’t fit as many globals as you could when fighting a goblin for example)

Keeping this in mind, makes the racial choice infuriating if you simply dislike being an orc. This wrecks down the uniqueness of racial choice for a lot of PvP players. If you look up PvP statistics above 1800, which isn’t even that high of a rating, overall majority are orcs on Horde, if class doesn’t restrict that.

Speculation, but I don’t think many people would be willing to race change for any PvE scenario, because the impact isn’t that high. It really comes down to what is deem “acceptable” bonus and it’s up to an individual.

I like the idea of racial bonus, but at this moment, especially in PvP, the bonus is way too much. Tuning down the stun reduction to 5% and slight nerf to bloodfury damage modifier (in PvP) would solve this problem when it comes to the orcs. Then we’d have to look at nelves, humans and possibly tauren if we wanted to have somewhat balanced playing field. This is why some PvPers simply want racials to be disabled, to save us from this mess.

Tl;dr racials are nice concept but the implementation in PvP wrecks the uniqueness of player choice, because the impact is way too high.

Even though I quite like racials, it fits what a RPG is supposed to be and think people overreact and take this far too seriously… For the sake of saving tears, let’s just disable racials in competitive environments and everyone is happy.

2 Likes

Well, basically. That Orc racial is just ridiculously overtuned and Blizzard has let it stay in the game for such a long time it may actually be part of the source of the faction imbalance. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

This stun reduction needs to be replaced, plain and simple. It’s just way too good.

3 Likes

I agree, remove racials.
I’d love being a tauren druid, but they are just crap compared to other races.

It’s a shame.

Is not a good thing when some races are much better than others.

1 Like

No thanks, I’ve been using Warstomp for 15 years and it’s part of my character, the game doesn’t need balance changes for minor variances in race performance. if there are overpowered ones that stick out too much then nerf them, as they have always done anyway.

Otherwise no, the game doesn’t become better or more interesting by having races be purely cosmetic. Racials are good.

3 Likes

Can you stop entering threads and using this as an argument all the time? You don’t need gear either and you spam about that all day and night. Double standards…

OP, you really overrate racials. Difference between covenants are varying 1-50%, while racials have maybe 1% diff.

1 Like

Then don’t play in those groups. They sound horrible!

It does affect them though. It adds a lot more flavour to the game.

If you’re a non-casual or “hardcore” player who wants to be at the top, then you have to tick all the boxes and if that means a particular class/spec combo, then so be it.

Don’t like it? That’s your problem, not any casual player who wants a more enriched game.

And the rules of a guild are made by…?
Players.

So? That still doesn’t make that original claim true in any way, shape or form.
If they meant that ‘a certain type of player’ didn’t enjoy covenants in 9.0, then they should have said so. And not make hyperbolic statements.

I personally don’t care about PvP, so that’d be fine with me.
I just don’t want the part of WoW ruined that I enjoy.

Why are u always so negative? And covenants are bad in general they should’ve been completely cosmetic

You arguments are generally bad you cant be on the top as a casual player in a mmorpg that kinda not how they work, you play a lot and put effort in for gear etc.

And no covenants really dont affect a casual players

So wow would be ruined for you if racials werent a thing in anything where they matter? Then i think you are in the wrong game.

Covenants is a bad system since its gonna add more dumb things to the game and isnt cosmetic people that actually play the game at high level or somewhat high lvl (idk lets say thats 10-15s and normal/hc raiding) would see this system is bad and not very enjoyable in general

And your point is?

Gear are the original covenants - Remove them

Please all, we need the game to become an Esport so WoW can finally become successful!

Remove all the gear from the game, and ppl will love pushing 25+ keys and doing mythic raidinG!!!

Also remove levels while we are at it.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that.
I was talking about flat out removing them.

Making them inactive in certain activities is fine.

Subjective.

Subjective.

Subjective and insulting.

Meaning it’s players who are at fault.
Meta slaves. Min max attitude. It’s bad. It’s toxic. It shouldn’t be a thing imo, but since it exists… it at the very least shouldn’t be catered to. Imo (just to make that clear).