Raider.io Should be broken if it continues charging players for fast updating

Do you work for Rio, because I don’t expect to pay one company for a game and then have to pay another company in order to play it.

They should be made to either stop charging or Blizzard should break them, the same way they break others charging real money for ingame stuff.

This has nothing to do with communism and everything to do with a third party website abusing a position that Blizzard should never have allowed it to obtain in the first instance.

5 Likes

You literally don’t have to pay anyone except Blizzard in order to be able to play World of Warcraft.

Stop spreading nonsense.

2 Likes

You do if you want fast updating at peak times in order to be able to push your rating. This should not be allowed.

3 Likes

Newsflash, no it didn’t.

Are you just spamming this thread with drivel to distract from the comedy of your first few posts?

4 Likes

Post on your main or not at all.

3 Likes

I mean technically its not against ToS so I dont see the issue.

its a payed service for faster updates which is imo fine.

1 Like

Update you character Monday-Friday mornings, when there are much fewer people doing it. Usually there is only a 100 in the queue then.

Also the data that would include that kill on the actual in game addon only goes out once a day. So it wouldn’t appear for anyone looking at you in a queue until that data had gone out. Not unless they specifically looked you up on the website itself.

1 Like

Lol this is not the House of Commons! Although they do act like forum dwellers, it has to be said.

1 Like

Arguably Raider IO is getting a free lunch. The data Blizzard provides them is free and they charge for essentially a premium service which the OP is complaining about.

8 Likes

Then either you would get poor and crappy apps or full of ads. Development time is expensive. Upkeep also. If I would spend time developing a WoW app I would expect payment for my time or when making an app for my personal use and advantage - deciding who and if can use it.

Oh, and wowhead would not exist or would be just a fraction of what it is. Youtubers and streamers would be unlikely to do any WoW content as they could not do any Nintendo content due to previous Nintendo policies.

2 Likes

But raider io works for free and the holdup is the data from Blizz. Premium can not make the data appear faster.

There is a big difference between advertising on your website/youtube channel and charging for the service of the app.

The vast majority of addons are free and have no hidden charges.

I’ll hold my hands up, I first visited RIO a couple of days ago.

However as a general principle I dont believe there should be any extra charge for services where Blizzard provides the core data for free.

I’ve been hoping for a while Blizzard clamps down on this and Patreon addons.

5 Likes

You are charged for a super super niche premium service. They could put custom channel ads there and all would see WoW boost/real money services and other shady things. If they have a steady flow of “customers” the cost per click will be superior to any legal content ad. Plus some tracking codes to sell even more of your data and privacy. Or RIO would be private - not for you but for selected people. Things cost and expenses must be covered.

They couldn’t do that in the EU with GDPR.

Then Blizz would be forced to break it.

I pay for a spreadsheet that works off the API. It updates more frequently and has more features if you pay. There is a free version.

This is no different. There is a website that uses the API. It’s is not gated behind a paywall. The add-on and site are free. The add-on updates once a day via curse. It will also show raid progress.

They do, at best you get a popup accepting cookies. Sites hosted outside of EU can ignore it staying in the gray zone.

Because some people calculate best runs from leatherboards and invite players from those runs? Public data. There is a lot of public data that can be used in some sort of data analysis - simming DPS, BiS list, optimal dungeon loot tables and more.

A premium version.

Imagine trying to defend a third party program that asks for payment to be useful when it’s essential to be useful.

5 Likes