Reason for not allowing simplified Chinese or is it simply prejudice?

For some reason, Chinese is not an “allowed language” on the EU servers. Its not a technical issue or that the server does not support it, the US server supports it just fine. It’s just that someone has decided that Chinese is not allowed.

I have still not seen an official statement from blizzard as to why the EU server does not want Chinese players since there aren’t any technical reasons. Is it simply prejudice against Chinese players? There are many Chinese wow players in European countries that would love to play wow in Chinese, especially since there already is a perfectly fine Chinese version of wow that could be playable on the EU server if you’d only allow it.

Whats the reason?

3 Likes

Isn’t it obvious? who wants to see words made from images rather than letters? maybe 1% of EU playerbase will understand chinese language, why it should be supported here? Use english. Can’t you just join chinese servers to play with people who understand your language? No one said Chinese players can’t play in EU, just your language is unpopular and impossible to understand by commoner like myself. I don’t even remember when i used my native language in WoW, only english because everybody can understand me.

3 Likes

Letters are just images anyway, really.

I don’t know if Simplified Chinese is supported on the Chinese Realms, if not then its probably due to the complexity of the Chinese charset. A technical limitation.

If it is, then it will be more a “the EU realms don’t speak Chinese.” thing.

Neither of which are prejudice.

1 Like

@Xltro
Well the thing is you dont even see the language with your client so it wont affect you at all in any way.

And then there is the fact that the client is already there, the translation is already done, it requires no additional work from blizzard, its simply a matter of allowing it.

It wont affect any players, it wont hardly require any additional work, and it can make 1% (probably a lot more) players on EU happy which translates into about 10000 people if we assume that 20% of the 5 million wow players are playing on EU servers.

@Trovlak
Chinese characters are not images, they are fonts just like this: 巴啦啦拉,汉字就是这样子的。

And the client is already made, its up and running on the US servers, but for some reason its not allowed on the EU server and thats what I dont understand. We already have the client and it can make tens of thousands of players happy but blizzard just wont allow it.

I don’t see why it shouldn’t be allowed, The game doens’t filter out other non European lanuages. I’m guessing it might be due to moderation issues? Maybe gms can’t monitor chat in Chinese? However why would that only apply to Chinese writing then?

1 Like

It’s part of the Chinese gov approval process of any game to not have anything outward facing other than Chinese. You can’t even give options for any language selection. So unless there is a 3rd party hack for it, no, there most likely is no English in China. quote from a game designer.

Anyway in the same thread,

open the file folder for World of Warcraft and open the WTF folder>Config>change all “zhCN” to “enUS” I live in the US but I change my text and audio to mandarin chinese all the time using this method. make sure to SAVE after changing the code. then, open the retail version of WoW in the RETAIL folder. Launch Wow and see if it worked :smiley:

www.quora._com/Is-it-possible-to-play-WOW-on-a-Chinese-server-while-still-having-the-gameplay-display-in-all-English

The Config.wtf has,

SET portal “EU”
SET textLocale “enUS”
SET audioLocale “enUS”

maybe try

SET portal “EU”
SET textLocale “zhCN”
SET audioLocale “zhCN”

have no idea if this will work. The client could download the required files. It does nothing for me. The game turns it back too.

SET portal “EU”
SET textLocale “enUS”
SET audioLocale “enUS”

The Chinese client is different from everyone elses and could be behind the rest in version. Even so some people got the english client working on French servers. You can try downloading the chinese client, not very hopeful about it working. I would give the US client a go. Just try SET portal “EU” in the config.

Bitmap fonts are simply collections of raster images of glyphs. Outline fonts or vector fonts are collections of vector images, consisting of lines and curves defining the boundary of glyphs.

EU servers won’t accept any client language where the language is from outside Europe. No Russian either.

Traditional Chinese doesn’t work either, which I am interested in.

If you want to play in Chinese, play on the Chinese (or Taiwanese, which are available in the battle.net launcher) servers.

Any fix? Issue still exists

I live in China but play on Eu servers. I have played on Chinese servers also using the exact same client.

不会有改变的 放心吧

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.