Regarding the Dalaraan market and a new Location. What if we turn it into a Mereldar Market?

I think it could work just fine. Of course, it would alter the carefree vibe the Dalaran market evenings usually encouraged, as Hallowfall is quite the perilous place. Because in that regard I do agree with some of the others - you can’t just ignore the dangers.

If the carefree vibe is a priority, I’d suggest Valdrakken or even Shattrath.

1 Like

Dalaran. It’s Dalaran.

I think if they wanted to trade they’d do it in Dornogal, a hub for the Alliance, Horde, Dalaran survivors and Earthen where it’s far less likely that the entire region becomes voided and some Innsmouth Deep Ones, void corrupted fauna or Nerubians show up to ravage you and your goods.

2 Likes

Don’t blame my flimsy fingers, please :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

It’s just the draenei way of spelling it. Draenei love having two consecutive vowels in their names, it’s just how they are.

2 Likes

I think there’s also the notion to consider that merchants who survived the Dalaran crash, probably lost most if not all of their goods with the city, especially if they were living there too. Your possessions, your shop, your home, all lost in the blink of an eye. I imagine priorities for such characters would be to figure out where and how they’d best be able to start their livelihood all over again? An underground warzone might not be where the civilians would be actively ushered right now, even if I agree that the areas in Hallowfall are really cool.

15 Likes

My biggest wariness about Hallowfall–excluding the practical issues of phasing and so on listed above–is that it is very specific in its themes and niche. Whereas Dalaran by the end of its time had a very cosmopolitan energy, where anyone and everyone could move in, Mereldar is populated solely by human/high elf descendents, most of which are highly religious.

Not everyone is keen on something that looks and feels very Alliance even if they don’t have any anti-Horde prejudice in their lore. Nor would everyone be comfortable around such heavy (western-)religious themes.

6 Likes

I love how we get a very cool zone that’s rich in atmosphere, has a very specific theme and a rich culture around it while the current situation in it is very clearly laid out, one which leads itself towards conflict, survival and trying to overcome a seemingly endless horde of bugs.

And the first instinct of some people is to go all “yeah let’s do market stalls here”.

nah, let’s kill some bugs instead shall we

5 Likes

Yeah that’s a fair point. While I’m sure a suitably entreprising individual (read: a goblin probably) would turn things around sooner than later, most likely aren’t back on their feet just yet.

1 Like

Personally some of my suggestions for good future market spots would be Shattrath, Valdrakken or Winterspring.

2 Likes

this zone is actually my player character’s house so you can’t go there

1 Like

I echo the suggestions of Valdrakken or Shattrath.

2 Likes

I would also like to throw in some of the goblin towns in there.

1 Like

what about uldum chat

I think that Veldrakken is a much better site. Entirely neutral and without a strong racial theme or bias towards either faction, with lots of space and no phasing, as well as historical precedent for commercial enterprises being set up there. See the Serene Dreams Spa, as an example.

And while Mereldar isn’t a good choice, let’s not go too far in the other direction with “in the grim darkness of Hallowfall, there is only war.”

There’s a hermit chef who happily lives in the wilderness without much trouble, there’s a market where produce and products are sold by civilian merchants who leave some of their display cases empty so that lynx kittens can sit in them, there’s a tavern where the spirits are high and where soldiers who have lost too much are allowed to spend the rest of their lives drinking away their sorrows, and there’s a significant civilian population who are in high spirits and granted plenty of luxuries.

I’d even argue that a part of Hallowfall’s message is “don’t lose sight of hope and don’t neglect your own happiness in your struggle to survive.” While the zone isn’t the best spot for beach parties or fancy dress competitions, I think people would be doing Hallowfall a disservice if they adopt an attitude of “fight monsters or get out.”

8 Likes

There’s actually an interest check going out about Shattrath possibly being turned into a hub in general.

A market could be a good addition.

1 Like

Booty Bay, Gadgetzan, Winterspring one and Area 52 would probably be the best ones there! But they could all work fairly well.

Oh cool! I will definitely say my piece there then. It is a nice city thats not had too much use. And I am currently in the process of getting more involved in the market communities due to roleplay on my pandaren, so I will join that discussion!

Uldum has a really nice zone, but it suffers from two primary issues. First is as a cataclysm zone, it has alot of sharding. Second would be its poor history from the Uldum Sultanate roleplay. It has a similar sort of black mark on it that goldshire has at this point for many people.

I would hate for it to turn out that way, especially as the Hallowfall expedition seems like a very welcoming bunch despite the bad situation. It’s very fresh to not have the human light group be “deus vult” and instead be very friendly and accepting.

I hope that sticks with the roleplay community.

2 Likes

Any activity in the containment zone would make the community that used to fester there crawl out of the woodwork and congregate in the manner that made Uldum a containment zone in the first place.

2 Likes

This could be something that scratches each others backs; Shattrath would work well, the setting could lead to some black market shennanigans too.

5 Likes

Not to dictate how any one should RP or where they should do that, but wouldn’t the most rational scenario be that refugees from Dalaran’s crash would end up in Dornogal?

There’s got to be a lot of cool RP playing out the trauma from that and setting up somewhere new. Definitely more stable than Mereldar as other people have mentioned too!

6 Likes

It does make logical sense. The primary issue with that I see is the sharding in current content zones. Dornogal is also cross-server currently.

And it’s only available to people who have unlocked it. It’s not a bad idea, it just has alot against it right now. But that can change later.