Remove the Trust Level system!

It’s just a very minor perk for being a regular participant in the forums who does not misbehave.

Apart from posting gifs/images there is very little to be gained.

Anyone can post a link:-

• Go the site
  • Copy the URL
  • Paste the URL into your post
  • Highlight the URL
  • Click on the </> button
  • URL appears as www.demonstration.com

If it’s not something dodgy or breaking the ToS then most TL3 posters will repost links/images for others.

4 Likes

but thats already whats happening? you dont get “shut down” or “silenced” just because a bunch of people flagged your post. flagging a post doesnt really do anything than to hide it and raise a mods attention, the message can still be read too. a mod then decides whether the message becomes visible again or if the person really broke rules and receives a punishment.

whenever you receive a silence or whatnot then a mod decided and not an angry mob.

4 Likes

man, 17 silences? you re on a killing streak Dee. :laughing:

2 Likes

2 Likes

The bulk of punishments are just, they are for people swearing and bypassing the language filter, expressing hatred etc.

There are two warnings, first one is that a post has been flagged, at this point it’s basically waiting for a moderator to review. Then when a moderator has reviewed they will either take action and you should receive an email or it’s unflagged/unactioned. If you do not get an email but are temporarily unable to post you can appeal/ask support. There is a specific section in support in connection with the forum. It’s the same place to make appeals if you disagree.

People are not banned for their views for or against something unless it’s like a real life threat. Some people conveniently forget they are swearing their heads off when expressing their views.

5 Likes

Exactly this all flags are reviewed and the human touch is put into place all but one ban for me was just i would say . One of the bans i think the mod didnt understand a joke between 2 friends but the other 16 were my fault .

1 Like

But if you voice your opinion in a polite manner you have nothing to risk nothing snowflake about it at all its called being an adult and learning from mistakes .

1 Like

It happens but what they forget to say is most times it is handed back if appleaed.

Yes i was the first to go nuts over a man who constantly uses the c word on his stream getting tl3 for making one post .

I always speak my heart and i got told by mods i am to harsh and have to calm which i try to do but i do not curse or post bad things .

I only wish they removed the requirements to read a lot of posts, it’s kind of stupid. Just visit the forums for enough days in total and don’t have recent silences/bans is all it should take to prove you’re not gonna misuse it.

2 Likes

I’m beloved you say?
Haha nice one.

There’s a pretty simple explanation: The forums would be FULL of spam and links and virusses and whatnot if they didn’t have the Trust Level system. They ‘trust’ the people who’ve earned this privilige to not abuse it. And so far, that seems to be working, wouldn’t you say?

2 Likes

So users who aren’t TL3 are spammers and bots?
https://giphy.com/gifs/will-ferrell-lszAB3TzFtRaU

It should be very easy to put spammers to moderation without penalising half the members for not having the privilege of being TL3.

Now that’s just twisting my words.
That’s not what I said nor meant.

I think you’re underestimating how much work it is to moderate a forum without such a posting threshold.

3 Likes

I do not. However, the current threshold for TL3 privileges are too high and very excluding for posters who have had posts flagged for being “offensive”/spam by snowflakes and others who do not want to see posts they disagree with. Bots/sleepy mods are unfortunately allowing this, creating a space where snowflakes can maintain their special bubbles and everything outside is offensive.

The easy solution is to move TL3 privileges to TL2, and remove the tier completely, and rather move posters who can’t behave to TL1 for a given time.

well…dont be offensive then? flagging alone does not compromise your forum account. a mod does.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: What is considered offensive is always changing, and in many discussions there are many opinions that becomes “offensive” because they either belongs in the past or in the future, and this makes discussions impossible. Societal and political discussions should not be allowed at all, but still people manage to get such issues connected to the game and thus allowed.

Asking people with legal yet less popular opinions which aren’t hate speech to shut up is to ask for one-sided discussions which freely bashes the other way with no room for getting anything positive out of the discussions.

1 Like

it is not. there are guidlines and as long as you stick to them you are fine.

you can say a great many things here on the forums, yet, people fail to see its more often not what but how you say it and thats what gets people flagged and silenced. most people are incapable of leading a civil discussion without getting insulting or antagonising.

its possible to lead a discussion about a “hot topic” without getting personal here on the forums, i ve seen it a couple of times and noone got silenced although serveral people had some strong views. it is a rare occurrance though.

3 Likes

I may be wrong on this but as far as I understand it there is nothing that other players can do to take away your trust level. They can flag your post to bring it to moderators attention but it is the moderators who decide whether your post broke the ToS and action your account which loses you your trust level.

They don’t always get it right when it comes to actioning people but by and large I would say that the mostly get it right. If you feel that you were incorrectly banned then you can challenge the ban in order to get it overturned although I am not sure if you automatically get your trust level back.

2 Likes

they usually give you your trust level back. once i falsely got silenced and lost my tl3 and they gave it back afterwards.

i suppose it depends on the circumstances as well but it never hurts to ask nicely to get it restored.

2 Likes

It is. Snowflakes would 40 years ago flag positive opinions about homosexuality as offensive. Right now the situation is the complete opposite - which is a good thing. However, that doesn’t makes it less “offensive” to have controversial opinions about sensitive topics today which might become more acceptable in the future. And no, I do not dare giving examples because that would trigger some snowflakes.

1 Like

see, thats what i meant with people being unable to lead a civil discussion. you calling people snowflakes is just absolutely immature.

i wont waste my time on this, sorry.

the forum code of conduct got last updated six months ago so its hardly “always changing”. maybe you should give it a read at one point so you know what you are up against when posting on the forums.

my point still stands. as long as you word it in a civil way, stick to the topic and not violate the code of conduct you are absolutely fine.
and guess what, people can flag you all day long, it doesnt mean a thing for your trust level. flags are manually reviewed by a mod which then takes action or not.

anyways, im done, i said all i had to say on this.

6 Likes