Removing old content

Just a curious Question: Why does Blizzard Always remove certain Content from Expansions?
In MoP/WoD: Challenge Mode, their Mounds, Tmogs, Titles, Teleports etc
In Legion: Mage Tower & the artifact appearenced
In Bfa: Island Expeditions? The Visions?

It’s not hard to scale honestly.

Maybe make certain Events when you get scaled back, or make the characters swap back to that Version of WoW.

So many possabilities and Blizzard wastes them by making pressure to clear stuff before ist removed.

7 Likes

There is no pressure at Horde side tbh

Not really true.

I remember back in MoP, I played on Germany’s smallest Pop Server on Horde side and there were absolutly no Groups for Challenge Modes whatsoever going on, only one on alliance side.

Now, the cross realm tool wasnt really used yet so you had to use addons for that to gain other Groups and I only got this told at the very end of MoP, like some days before the prepatch of WoD, so I only got 2 Dungeons done on Gold.

I’d still like to farm BiS Gear for MoP, get scaled back and do that Kind of stuff, even if just for playing the playstyled of some expansions ago.

Or not getting set back to the expansions Play/skill-style, but just scaled the current one to that Level.

I presume because they are tied to the abilities, gear, builds, classes etc that were available in that expansion and keeping them beyond that expansion when everything changes removes challenge factor, negating any challenge that was relevant.

7 Likes

Old content is generslly abandoned by devs.
Guess why? :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I think they do it to give some things in WoW a certain “Prestige”, its amazing how many people like to e preen about something video game related

4 Likes

They ones who can earn smth generally do have this feelings, even more demand others to have smth as well to play with them. My alts suffer all of this toxicity :sob:
Someday I am gonna collect all my mementos and post a sad diary about evil gamers on my alliance alt for sure

Btw the overwhelming casual majority have no e peen, does it mean they are e genderless?

quickly flips through “A Tumblr guide to genders”

Yes.

1 Like

Thanks, then I can refer to them as it :sun_with_face:
To respect their e gender

Removing the MOP legendary cloak questline was also kinda a mistake.

Cause people who did not get the cloak can’t access to the boss on the Timeless Island for reputation.

1 Like

You can blame the selfish entitled nobs on the US side for that.

4 Likes

I have not heard anything about it, but i imagine island exps will likely remain available (although be mothballed) post-BFA, similar to MoP scenarios. Visions might stay available too, atleast that would be my guess.

Warfronts i could more easily see being removed, or perhaps be relegated to a once in a blue-moon “PVP Brawl” or “Ulduar TW Raid” type event once every X months.

In the case of MoP/WoD Challenge Modes, and the Mage Tower challenges, i think it has more to do with their role back when they were active, than with not wanting to continue them afterwards.

These things were build from the ground up to be totally optional, to often take serious effort, and to only provide cosmetic rewards (and bragging rights), so that noone would need to feel forced to run them. Bear in mind CM dungeons dropped no loot whatsoever (unlike it’s successor Mythic+). So the people who did go through those hurdles, did it explicitly to gain access to something exclusive, something special. And making the rewards “limited edition / limited availability” kinda fits well into that culture.

As for the content itself, the dungeons are still there of course, so the content isn’t lost. I could see the CM scaling making a comeback as a temporary event thingy at some point, but it would still never truly be able to mimic the difficulty level, for the same reasons “Ulduar Timewalking” doesn’t fully mimic 3.1 Ulduar, so it would really just be a novelty thing.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can kill Ordos without having access to the Cloak, it’s not super user friendly, but i think i recall you can blast him from the air, by flying in from the North. It’s possible he doesn’t drop loot, though perhaps if you have a friend with cloak tag him as well he might be able to trade his loot to you (haven’t tested it).

And you won’t really need him (nor the cloak) for the reputation. Having the cloak did make farming the rep a little faster (since you could farm the mobs on the inner courtyard, and not just in the western courtyard and along the cliff edge, but that’s a fairly tame obstacle.

2 Likes

if they going to remove warfront they betetr give some eays way to get those mogs then -.-
each has 2sets and one you can only get 1random peice(which may already have) from the quest which comes like evry month or something

1 Like

A LOT of stuff has been removed throughout the years, which is rather sad. However, it gives items, mounts, titles etc. their value.

• Mounts
  • T-mogs
  • Pets
  • Achievements
  • Game Functions / Content
  • Titles
  • Recipes, plans, schematic etc.
  • Trading Card Game
  • Quests and their rewards

All of these things DO still appear from time to time, either by hacking, paying a lot of IRL money, in-game trading or people who actually got it at the time it was available. Where obviously hacking and IRL money trading is against ToS, and might get your account banned. Which is a good argument why there should still be a way to get these things.

One solution is the Black Market Auction House.
However it doesn’t allow replayability nor has the potential to aquire ANY removed item/title/mount etc. etc.

A lot of stuff would lose it’s value, if this changed.
But I’d rather lose value for millions of gold in old useless items, and be able to get my hands on lets say: Black Qiraji Battle Tank and “Scarab Lord” title added later in TBC, Corrupted Ashnringer, Atiesh Greatstaff of the Guardian, Benediction, Mage-tower and secret artifact skins. etc.

1 Like

Tryed that I’ts almost impossible to kill it because you get teleported outside :(.

1 Like

I disagree it gives them value.
The value comes from look of item or functionatliy of mount or something.
Not cause its no longer obtainable.

Ive got multiple mage towers and the wod cm weapons and id prefer it if evryone had chance ot get them.

I dont think any content or items should be removed at all from game.

4 Likes

Well, some items DO have high value BECAUSE they are removed now.
-Not everything has been about looks or functionality. I see trash items rising price daily, simply because it’s now unobtainable.

-But I agree 100% I’d also prefer no content was ever removed at all.

Grind Island Expeditions whilst watching Netflix, got about 6k of the currency, when I get to about 8k I will start opening chests and hopefully I get all the toys, mounts and mogs from every island.

I agree with that but they take way too much away. After the Horrific Visions are done nobody will ever get the chance to obtain that backpack - something, as far as I understand, has been requested for almost a decade.

1 Like