Ret Pve worth?

Hello,

Since im a strange fella and i played Arcane when it sucked and frost Dk two hand in Sl.
Now i want to play Ret PvE, is it a good melee dps? I got deleted by them in pvp hoping its decent in pve also.
Ty

Short answer : no.

Long answer :
-Damages are tied to 2 min burst. It goes down to 1 if you’re playing Kyrian.
-Utility sucks : it’s overrated.
-Mobility is an issue.
-No defensive CD, outside of bubble.

4 Likes

Well I changed from Warrior to Paladin a few months ago and I don’t regret it.

Maybe they aren’t the best but they are sure the most fun for me. I enjoy their slower playstyle compare to fury warrior, they have good survivability and I love their class fantasy.

It’s so fast to level so you can always level one and get some gear and then decide if you want to stay with it or try something new.

3 Likes

Isnt the dmg tied to 1 big cd like the majority of classes nowadays?

Might aswell swap to my paladin if im posting here.
I agree that it looks cool, the skills the lore and the tmogs, my pally has the mage tower skin also, what bothers me is that i like final reckoning talent too much and im afraid its not the go to talent.

This is true but many dps specs got some of their damages shifted away from CD or have ways to reduce CD timers. Ret does not have something like anger management for instance.

Bro take the talent you like, don’t be like those brainless meta slaves, it’s only a video game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah i agree, but if those meta slaves dont take me into grps because low dps…

2 Likes

Mythic+: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/25/#bracket=15

Not much more to say. Bottom spec. While damage wise, if you learn the spec, you can outperform other classes there is no real reason to bring a ret. Auras are a joke, off healing is mediocre for the price of a huge dps loss, mobility… where there isn’t any… Only BoP and blessing of sacrifice are somewhat useful but if you find yourself in need to use them a lot you are probably in a sh*t group.

Raids (mythic): Things don’t change a lot in raids. The damage is mediocre and trash tier with the exception of few bosses (SLG, Sludgefist). The utility tho is more relevant than dungeons as you can use BoP, bubble and freedom to cheese some things (Sire, Sludgefist, Inerva). Mobility is still an issue but CN wasn’t as punishing for melee as previous tiers so it’s not awfully bad.
On normal and HC difficulties you can go pretty much with everything so it doesn’t really matter.
Overall, while it’s not mandatory to bring a ret, it can have a spot on a raid roster.

Unfortunately I don’t think things will change for the better in 9.1. I just wish they won’t change for the worse…

Edit: typos, I’m writing from my phone.

So im guessing since ret is fun and strong in pvp people dont care much for pve? Because i havent seen too many complaints about pve, im guessing ret this expansion is a pvp spec and people are ok with that.

I feel you but we retribution paladins are disliked in m+ and in other groups so

I wont do past +15 and hc raid if i like it.
Hope im not going to have problems getting into groups now that 9.1 will have rating on m+…
But since 9.1 is in 2022 i guess im fine :clown_face:

2 Likes

You can always run your own m+ key and a Guild would help to get into high raids but it’s not impossible to get inte Heroic pugs. I don’t raid so I don’t know how easy it is but it sure can’t be impossible.

Thing is… i like to play mostly solo, im sure il be fine if i make a couple of friends, but i cant commit to a guild.
All in all i like ret so far and i know for a fact you dont need to be top in logs as a class to do +15 or hc raids.
But cheers to all who posted here

1 Like

Hope you enjoy the class :smiley:

Is it really that bad or just you being overly negative ?
Because when other rets with good gears and good progression are talking about the class they always put themselves as top-tier in pvp and at least middle of the pack for pve.
If it’s not the case can we hope for a good scaling later on and maybe minor tuning in 9.1 you think ?

After 15 dungeon runs i finaly got my tempest of the lightbringer legendary, now time to farm the soul ash ><
Eventho Final verdict looks way more fun, that legendary is ST and i want to run M+
Il def pick that up also

I seem to die on every trash pack when i use my burst i take all the aggro, is this a problem of the class or are the tanks bad?

Well i think that it’s both. I ussually have to do it with divine shield when they’re all on me.

Thats kinda bad for me, the whole fun of ret is seting up that huge burst and going ham…