Retribution in CN and m+

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/class-tuning-underway-3-february/244690

Yet again no buffs for retribution paladins. We are currently 13th on CN Mythic logs and one of the least represented DPS specs in high m+.

As predicted due to poor scaling, ret will drop significantly once people start to get better gear. Guess what happened!! Within two weeks we dropped from 11 to 13.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/26/#dataset=95

Being mid tier was always the case but now rets are borderline useless.

Retribution is the only DPS spec a paladin has access to, like the other underperformer of the tier Havoc DH.

Retribution is in desperate need of a buff very soon because as people gear up situation will get even worse…

Edit: My concerns goes not only for mythic raiders and people pushing high keys but due to the way the community works, everyone doing anything beyond HC dungeons and LFR. People will not invite rets like it was happening before.

8 Likes

Ret was among the 3 worst spec in the game 3 weeks ago. It’s more related to the fact that every single ret paladin main switched from Venthyr to Kyrian.

Now, it’s going to get worse!

1 Like

Yeah looks terrible. But to be honest Ret is actually doing way more dps (single target at least) than these specs that are going to be buffed a bit and is kind of King at AoE.
Ret will still do 8% more damage than a BM for example or 5% more than a Havoc after these buffs.

2 Likes

Two arguments here.

One. Apart from Havoc DH all the other specs have a at least one other strong dps spec that can switch to. DK has Unholy, hunters have MM, mages have the beast that is Fire… You get my point.

Two. Strong AoE is irrelevant in CN mythic for the most part. And in m+ that is way more useful, you only have 3 DPS spot to compete. And for these DPS spots there are specs like MM, Fire, Boomkin that make our AoE look like a joke while bringing more utility to the group like roots, vortex, mass silence, BL, CR, good cc and the list goes on.

7 Likes

I sheit you not when I say this, I compared ST dps in my Ret spec at 214 ilevel with conduits and convenant abilities etc to that of an Alt Balance druid of mine with 191 ilevel Balance druid with no conduits or convenant abilities.

The Balance druid did more ST DPS. I won’t even compare the AOE.

TL DR: This spec has been underperforming for a very long time in raids and M+ and you are better off playing a Superior spec, that is SUPERIOR in every aspect.

The thing is, many people including mythic raiders are not fotm rerollers. We do know our class and we like it and we enjoy it. It is Blizzard’s job to relatively balance things.

They do have the data. They do have the data from CE players and the feedback from theorycrafters yet they choose to turn the blind eye.

Ret damage for M+ is certainly not the best but acceptable, the problem is that Blizzard missed class balance entirely utility wise this time, it’s worse than BFA for rets.

BFA’s WOG got me so many times in high M+ groups and i saved so many keys with it, especially on grevious weeks, BOW too, even tho it was poor utility compared to other classes but still.

This time we got absolutely nothing to make a key owner pick ret, sometimes i even struggle to form a group around myself, cause i take a spot and bring nothing to the table.

The three classes that are dominating on damage right now (hunters, mages, druides) also happen to share 90% of the game utility : BL, roots, snares, displacements, buffs, immunities, dispells, soothe, CR, and more, it just makes no sense balance wise.

4 Likes

They really need to give Ret paladins something, right now. This situation is simply not acceptable. Some specs had up to 24%!! buffs to damage since the expansion release.

Guess what paladins had since release: Constant nerfs. Why is it not acceptable for paladins to be in line with other classes. Priests got their stam buff, Mages have their int buff, even shamans got their windfury buff back…

Here are my suggestions to fix paladins and bring back some class identity:

Utility - Bring back the following ability: Blessing of Kings, Divine intervention, Blessing of Wisdom, Blessing of Salvation.

DPS: Bring back Seals as an addition to their rotation, 1 minute buff, refreshable. Seal of Command, Seal of the Righteous, Seal of light etc.

This gives Paladin buffs like other classes, more utility, and enough DPS to be in line with others.

1 Like

Exactly! Healing three people in an emergency was making a difference. Now we only heal ourselves OR one other person. Our only “save the day” button is blessing of sacrifice.

I mean, you are not wrong but just “acceptable” doesn’t make the cut to be picked in a key over any other class especially since, as you also point out

And that is for m+. For raids, apart from Sludgefist that is by accident tailored around our most popular built, we bring nothing special to the table. Auras are a joke, mobility is… questionable, DPS is :-1:, and as far as utility goes… yeah we have bubble so we can cheese some abilities. Only that.

Started leveling a Balance Druid, simply because I’m tired of the state of Retribution Paladin in M+. Even at level 30 it feels like the Boomkin has better utility for high M+ than Ret :unamused:

1 Like

im feeling ashamed getting dpsed by everyone…

1 Like

Please buff ret paladins, maybe not in PvP but certainly for PVE.

My Ret is keystone master and I’m 221 item level but just looking at the buffs coming tomorrow, how are we not getting one? I’m not sure why frost mages are getting a buff when I played M+ last night and got easily beaten by a lower level geared frost mage and I push my character to the absolute max damage wise

WE NEED A BUFF! Arms and fury put out around the same damage in most situations and they’re getting another

Even if it’s a 2-3% that would be a dream as me and my group want to do +20’s and more

I can’t get a spot in my mythic guild at the moment for progression as they would prefer a warrior or DK for melee spots, come on help us out!

2 Likes

This is my ret main! Commented on the wrong character lol

Maybe try Final Reckoning instead of Sanctified Wrath. Once you know when to use it you will rarely be out dpsed by anyone. SW doesn’t really fit to Dungeons which mostly consist of short bursts and moving distances.

The retribution spec is currently in a terrible state in m+.

BFA were bad, but not even close to as bad as it is now.

I’m not a hardcore player in any way but I do enjoy trying to challenge myself in higher and higher m+ keys. Currently that is more frustrating than fun, getting invited to pug groups is almost hopeless, no one wants this spec in their group as our damage is not even close to the “meta” specs and our utility is a joke, we have nothing to offer that is better than what many other specs bring in an m+ setting.

Getting decline after decline after decline just isn’t fun and I can’t see myself going through another season with a spec in this state.

There is the small (read pretty much non-existent) hope that the dev team changes this, but looking at it realistically it won’t happen as they have created a mess they won’t be able to fix with the covenant system.

3 Likes

It is pretty worthless. Holy paladin is crazy good right now to even play any other of the 2 specs.

1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re finding these low damage ret paladins in M+, but with the divine storm legendary and seraphim/final reckoning they’re doing blaster DPS every single pack.

They’re not well represented because of FOTM mage/boomer/hunt but they do good AoE.

Their sustained ST is a bit lacking yes.

With all due respect, you are missing my points. Sera + FR + DT do some serious AoE when things die relatively fast, yes. The problems still remain though.

All of the more represented specs pull similar and/or higher numbers. But it’s not only a numbers issue. It’s what you bring to the table.

Since you are talking about m+, these specs bring huge group utility where we have noone. Vortex, CC, blanket silence, root, ring of peace etc etc. All these on top of superior constant DPS.

As for raids, well… Logs represent the situation better there.

And btw, this tier we did not see a single retribution paladin in World’s First race. Not that it matters for us plebs but it gives you an idea of what spot we are on.

Only reason you don’t see ret in WF its because DKs are the strongest melee and they have AMZ so you fill your melee spots with those, or you include 1 monk also for the debuff if you’re not getting it from a brewmaster.

Just admit it : ret sucks in PvE.

2 Likes