Revamp the crest upgrade system again

It is extremely flawed. The problem is that I drop upgrades but I hold off upgrading the pieces because I keep the crests to upgrade higher grade item and since they are capped and so hard to come by I just won’t waste them on items that I know aren’t high enough and I will certainly get better base in time. But it kills the entire hunt for upgrades.

Example with current system: I drop a veteran gear I upgrade it up to 4/8 with whelp crests. From 5 to 8 it requires drake crests but I should not waste drake crest on veteran gear since I need drake crest on champion gear 1-4 as well.

Here are two things what they can do with it.

• Remove the transition between the crests. Have drake kind only upgradable on let’s say veteran gear. wyrm only on hero gear and aspect only on myth grade or something.

• Bring back the old 1/15 system similar to valor upgrade but instead of one currency to upgrade every level spread the crests to brackets. Every item drop on 1 everywhere. The way it would work is that you need drake crest from 1to 5 wyrm from 6-10 and asepct from 11 to 15.

Any of these two changes are literally just a better upgrade system than what we currently have. We still have the multi crests to farm and basically the same upgrade tracks just simplifeid version and not forced to hold back upgrades due to the fact that we need to keep the crests for higher grades.

I’m slightly confused and on my first coffee, so bear with me. :pray:

To re-upgrade an item if you replace it is just flightstones to match the ilvl you had previously, you don’t have to spend the crests again.

What’s the problem with crests.

I know but that is not my point. Not talking about item upgrade in the same slot just managing the crests in general.

My point is that crests are limited and it is not worth spending them on low grade gear. Crests have a transition. Drake crest needed from veteran 5-8 and champion 1-4. If you have access to champ gears you should not waste drake crests on veteran gear upgrade.

1 Like

Just one type of crest and needing more each time would have been fine for me.

4 Likes

So it makes you hold back on what to upgrade because the crests are limited? That’s the point you’re making?

The only reason I’m confused is cos you mention all the different tracks but they overlap and the upgrading for flightstones also overlaps but you said that’s not the problem.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with you. So don’t take this the wrong way.

Not sure what other way to explain it.

I have a 476 cape I drop a480 one. I upgrade it to 4/8 but to 8/8 i need drake crest

If i use up my drake crest on veteran gear and I drop a champion ring lets say I can’t upgrade the champion gear up to 4 because I used up my drake crests on a veteran item. So what end up happening I just don’t upgrade veteran items even though they would be upgrade right away but I have to keep my crests to potential champion items. Same thing with champ vs hero gear. If I use up wyrm crests on champ 5-8 upgrade then I won’t have crests for hero gear 1-4 if I drop something later.

The entire system encourages me to stop upgrading veteran and champion gear at 4/8 and don’t use crests to 5-8 because those are needed for the higher grade low upgrades.

3 Likes

I think I’m getting the gist. Thank you for bearing with me. :dracthyr_heart:

I haven’t personally upgraded anything yet as I’m not sure what I want to upgrade with my limited supply. So I’ve held off.

My main prio has been to cap all crests, getting there :-

I vaguely remember a flow chart last season which showed when you should or shouldn’t use crest. It was quite simple. I should see if I can find it but I think that’s pretty much along the same lines as your complaint.

This was from S3

2 Likes

I am of the opinion each track should have been only 1 type of crests. I hate the split. 1/4 is 4 items with this currency then 5/8 is 4 of that currency. So stupid. Can’t it be 1/8 from the same crest then go to the next type?

1 Like

I can’t even remember all the tracks and their names I have to keep checking. That could be my age xD

As Puny says you don’t have to use crests twice for the same item level.
So if you have Veteran at 4/8 in a slot, you can go ahead and upgrade it to 8/8 with the Drakes. Then if you get a Champion piece you’ll be able to get it to 4/8 with just Flightstones as you’ll already have reached that item level using crests. So you don’t need to hold onto Drakes until you get Champion pieces all the time using 4/8 Veteran gear which is weaker than it could be.

I’m not a huge fan of this whole crest / flightstones system as it is very slow for open world players. I see somplaints about the Cap on crests, I’ll never be close to any cap on these things. Been close to 2000 flightstone but mostly as I’ve not had enough crests to do upgrades in order to use them.
I’m hoping Delves are a better source for these.

I think the issue people have is feeling reluctant to use crests upgrading something that’s say… 502 ilvl when they could just as easily loot a 509 in the same slot later and have wasted those 30 crests.

However, at 120 per week this really doesn’t matter all that much.

I know but this is not the point. This only applies to the same item slot.

I explained it in multiple post. Read it carefully and you will understand the issue with this upgrade system.

Crests should only be usable on 1 grade not 2. There should not be a transition.

Upgrading gear isnt the issue.

Looting better pieces that are only an upgrade if i can regain my tier set is more annoying.
Sitting on multiple higher ilvl pieces but the gap between tier items and dropped items isnt high enough so the raw stats wont overcome the issue of breaking 4 set.

That is bad design, that i cant use any upgrade till i regain 4 set…

3 Likes

well ofc you need to hold some crests.

exactly 45 drake , 60 wyrm and 60 aspect to fully upgrade your bis bulion weapon instantly next week :stuck_out_tongue:

if you are not good enough to do +6s then you still need 45 drake and 60 wyrm to upgrade it to full hero quality :stuck_out_tongue:

The old Valor version was much better.
It came from any key and it’s done.
It’s okay, this garbage system will remain in the next expansion, only with more catchy names…

1 Like

Excatly. The crest / flightstone system is unnecessary complex. The system can be implemented with only one currency.

Moreover, they should remove the caps. It does not feel good to waste currencies. If, IF they must cap something because of pacing for example, then perhaps they should cap use and not how much you can collect upfront.

1 Like

No the valor system was not better. You feel just nostalgic.

The valorsystem had the problem of having a weekly cap too.

I think it was better.
Here there are 4 types of crest and flightstone, there is only the valor that you have extracted from even the smallest keys.
What would make the current one better?