Rework warlock and bring back metamorphosis

I’ve been playing Warlock since Wrath of the Lich King, and personally, the most enjoyable time for me was during Mists of Pandaria. The highlight of that era was the incredible Metamorphosis ability in the Demonology spec. Metamorphosis was an iconic feature, and its removal dealt a heavy blow to the Demonology Warlock. It’s high time to bring it back and give the player base what they’ve been asking for. Almost every Warlock who played during those days desires its return, and I believe it could attract many former players back to the game.

Just imagine how cool it would be to have Metamorphosis back in the game. Picture this: summoning all your pets, pressing Metamorphosis, and diving into melee range with your demons to obliterate your enemies. This would not only add a lot of fun to the game but also introduce a new and exciting playstyle.

The current state of Warlocks is disheartening. I’m not sure how many players even choose Warlock anymore. Whoever is designing Warlock seems to be falling short. Blizzard, if you want success, you must listen to the player base. I’m not saying we’re always right, but when we collectively voice concerns, it’s a genuine issue. Warlock is currently in a dire state, and I urge you to take action before you lose every Warlock player in the game.

4 Likes

Metamorphosis will be a glorified void form, and every prominent warlock player will regret exchanging based gigachad tyrant that does damage for you while you run around dodging mechanics for flashy burst CD that makes your skill panel more busy, oh and of course you will hit like a noodle in-between cds.
I don’t think reworking warlock just to shoehorn meta when current design is vastly superior (even if I think that vault and aberrus demo version was better than current one) to MoP one. MoP is also had a very homohenized class balance where every class had everything.
But they can adapt meta in current class design, for instance we don’t know warlock hero talents

you do realize that Shadow bolt beats tyrant currently in the meta right?

currently yes, because of many factors, meta changes, builds change, priorities change.
Sacrificed souls talent does his thing, maybe tyrant does not deal damage by himself but he keeps enough demons so your sb and db will start hit like a truck.
That’s the difference between retail and classic class design, classic abilities just use your stats for everything and almost don’t have synergy, retail abilities have mechanics in their rotation

i would say just demon form , doesn’t have to be metamorphosis , so you transform something like demonic warlock something like that

Void form is an ali-express version of MoP/WoD Meta.

see? there are pattern here, meta is basically shiny cd that makes you do more damage.
Additional abilities? nah, it’s a bad design when i have greyed out abilities until i press shiny button after filling up resources or waiting for 3 min cd

Well we already in lore have a metamorphosis - Green fire quest solidifies that. Kanrethad used Metamorphosis, Jubeka Shadowbreaker when saw how Kanrethad used dark apotheosis started to theorize that it was some form of Metamorphosis.

Then you don’t know how Meta worked for demo in MoP.
It was not a cd it was a form like a cat or bear form for the dru.
Except for one spell, there were no greyed ones, cause all spells of Meta was a transformed spells of normal form.
SB - touch of chaos
HoG - Chaos wave
Hell fire - Immolotion aura
Corruption - Doom
ETC.

yeah , tho from blizzard perspective i mean it will be easier for them with new lore to add just demonic transformation that say makes you look like similar to caster felguard or something as meta currently owned by DH and i doubt blizzard will be cool with lock and DH same exact stuff

Then with that they need to rename one of the Holy specs neither for Palas or Priests.
Restoration specs for Dru or Shams.

yeah i totally agree with you its silly , tho with 20 years naming for spec , its abit risky to change it now for sake of simplicity and not confusing people much , as random spell and spec name not same thing for sure

Tyrant is a disgusting cooldown. You move a few seconds during set up and its garbage. In PvP It is even worse due to how it bugs out endlessly even by small CCs.

No wonder they made Tyrant so weak that the best ST and AoE build for Demo is called Naked Tyrant build (where you don’t pick the talents that empower it).

Matter of the fact is that Blizzard have a set of new developers and they think ruining everything before them and bringing in what they think is good is a sign of merit, where in reality its basically an ego thing and its been ruining the classes and the story of the game.

i don’t care for pvp, i don’t have problem with tyrant in pve, i never seen more experienced locks than me who do mythic raids to have problem with casting tyrant.
Honestly looks like skill issue

they do whatever suits their fancy, they shake meta and class gameplay if they feel like it, tyrant is still an important cd, you can’t ignore it

they also the ones who make you pay your taxes and put a lego under your foot, as the matter of fact they purposefully hate us

You wanna learn how they could have fixed tyrant for PvP?

Make his demon fire cast instant - it would have solve 99% of his Pathfinding issues.

That is the same crap that post WoD devs did in the Legion - safe fraking crap.

The simple example of why current Blizz devs are worse than a monkey with the keyboard is how they designed Nether portal.

As it is on the paper it is a fun talent.

In reality the summoning mechanics are broken and the demon themselves are the visual noise.

One of the issues that people have with NP is that demon army overcrowds the melee range.

Elegant solution for this is to design demons differently, make…

Two demons for melee range
Two for long range 30-40yd.
Two for mid to close range
And the Pitlord.

With that you will have the demonic army that is spread across the fighting distance and won’t overcrowd the boss area covering the PoV of melees.

Another thing is to make NP cast and forget ability - it is a 3 min CD spell, just by the CD alone that spell should not require any extra action from you. You need to activate it and it should summon all demons by itself. Like the Army of the Dead.

This is the simple solution that would have preserved the NP as a viable option with the gameplay and class fantasy representation.

Why would you have a problem with Tyrant in PvE? It no longer requires a long set up. What are you talking about?

There are shorter ways to spell or say incompetence.

That’s how almost every online service balance team operate, league of legends works like this.

why would i have a problem with tyrant in pve even when he had long setup? I didn’t i thought that np setup was pretty fun

… did you really compared WoW, an MMORPG where you are trying to beat an AI to a MOBA?

Yeah, you should not. I am just saying when it required a set up a few seconds of dodging or getting hit by something would be punishing, which was problematic.

Thats why they moved away from that profile and now Tyrant doesn’t require a long set up.

And why should it be any different from balancing philosophy perspective, changes just for sake of changes is motto of every online service game, if you don’t like lol comparison look at destiny where types of guns constantly shift in meta

Yeah it was sometimes problematic, but to be honest usually it depends on boss, like for example sarkareth forced you to move from the start, which was quite annoying, but if you feel how boss works you could always find a window for NP

I get it, but current rotation, atleast in m+ feels really off, it’s like i’m just pressing whatever spell is not on cd. but atleast having 2 on use trinkets is funny.
I’m also pro nether portal redesign, but surely not make it

because you will lose fantasy of summoner casting a ritual for more demons to cross the veil, and unholy surely is not a best example of class design

We have more than enough summoning elements that require your direct involvement, spell on the 3 min CD should not be tedious as it is right now.

Besides fantasy of the summoner is not is stiff as the current Demonology.
Demonology before had a good summoner design - summon any of 5 demons you have and each of them will be great. No forcing Felguard as the main demon, no leaving of 4/5 of your demons behind because of degenerate modern designers of the warlock.