[RP-Guide] Tauren - A guide for you!

Hau!
Tauren Roleplay feels like a rarity within the community. Understandably, many people might have a hard time with creating a RolePlay character, that is a Tauren, because of the somewhat limited details there are to it.
And out of all races, Tauren do feel like one that has been slightly neglected.

So, because I enjoy Tauren RolePlay, I decided to create a guide for those that seek to explore and experience the path of the Tauren.
I worked together with Sabelon, guild master of the Aparoshe Stampede and Galalilha, who looked through the phrasing and such.

There are also a bunch of others that has given their tips and advice, at the end of the guide.
Enjoy!

Why RolePlay as a Tauren?

Tauren have been around since vanilla as one of the core, integral races of the Horde. They’ve remained a strong pillar in both how the Horde operates and the values they work with. To play a Tauren is to play a race that’s not only physically imposing and offers a lot to work with in combat and other physical activities, but also nurtures a deeply spiritual side that determines their outlook on life.

The Tauren race offers unique challenges, especially with developments both in patches and in the stories of World of Warcraft. Being both those that are called on for the Horde’s war efforts as powerful fighters, and some of their strongest mystics and sages, they often have to consider things in a balanced perspective. However, every Tauren is different–just like every human is different. There’s a lot of room to work with in regards to Tauren, but there are also a lot of stable, core concepts to really mesh with. More on this later!

If you want to be a big character who can either live up to their monstrous strength or prove they’re gentle despite it. If you want a character with a deep sense of spiritual purpose. If you want a character that knows self sufficiency and enjoys the culture of the hunt, then a Tauren is an ideal character choice for you.

Biology of the Tauren Race

Powerful bodies:
Tauren are physical powerhouses. As per the Battle for Azeroth cinematic, a Tauren is seen easily charging through barricades and people: their physical might, endurance, and resistance to injury means you can play a character that can not only deal hits but take them. Tauren need not dodge every hit, but can take a beating without sustaining serious injuries–unlike some of Azeroth’s smaller races.

Being larger than most, with an impressive amount of muscle, also makes the Tauren slower and less agile than other races.

Impressive strength:
Orcs have been shown to be able to lift a standard riding horse overhead and throw it meters away, and Tauren are considered stronger still. Even a weaker Tauren would be able to put up a good fight.

Elephant in a porcelain shop:
Their larger size does come with some drawbacks. Most buildings are not made with Tauren in mind and aren’t sized properly. A Tauren could struggle to enter a building due to a small door and low ceilings. There’s a reason Tauren buildings are all open planned with wide entrances and huge ceilings! These challenges, however, provide nice opportunities for character development, giving them a shade of realism in how they interact with the world.

They also may struggle to pick up smaller items, coins and needles included.

Abnormal appetites:
Food portions for Taurens would be double that of a human, so you’re going to need to eat and drink a lot more.
Also, apparently Tauren can see better in the dark than a human. Take that as you will.

Unique character traits:
These large humanoids, with hooves and horns, are covered with a fine short fur, mane and a beard. Their manes and beards can be put into different braids, cut short and more.

When in RolePlay, it is fun to use your horns! Aside from being a status symbol, they are also meant for combat.

Fun fact: These humanoids might have trouble with flies in warm climates.

Other kinds of Tauren:
Tauren sub-races, are very similar in sizes but differentiates. Like the Highmountains (Who has different horns) Taunka (Their face and fur are different, see models for Northrend) and Yangoul. (Though, we advise not to RolePlay as one of these, if you plan to be a part of the Horde.)

Culture of the Tauren

Tauren are considered peaceful, honourable people. Yet when it comes to fighting foes that they have a blood feud with (centaurs, and formerly the Grimtotem clan), they rouse themselves to battle. During Warcraft 3/The Third War, Tauren were never afraid of getting into a fight, often being the first to throw themselves into the fray. Tauren may be gentle, but they are all hunters and warriors, and a meek Tauren would either be young, or unusual. Not to say you can’t play a more timid Tauren, but it would not be the norm for them.

However, there are also Tauren who focus more on gathering and common professions (skinning, cooking, etc.). Still, most are trained in combat from a young age.

Another thing to consider is that each Tribe has their own culture. For many years, the Bloodhoof Tribe, and those allied with it, were in constant hate battles with the Grimtotem. But recently, the Grimtotem has made ‘peace’ with the other Tribes.
Do your tauren agree with this? Are they bloodsworn against the Grimtotem? Or what are your character’s thoughts on this? (More on Tribes later)

Note: The Grimtotem’s former leader, was the one that poisoned the blade of Garrosh Hellscream, who then was able to kill Cairne Bloodhoof, the former leader of the Tauren.

Spiritualism

Most, if not all Tauren, are religious and have faith in the Earth Mother (Azeroth). They record their myths on scrolls, but preach through verbal storytelling. Their philosophy is rooted in the notion of balance. They revere the eyes of the Earth Mother, the Sun (An’she) and the Moon (Mu’sha). Previously, the Tauren focused on Mu’sha’s teachings, but with the coming of the Cataclysm, they rediscovered their connection to An’she with the return of Sunwalkers and Seers of An’she.

Tauren rituals aren’t elaborate. They need little in terms of rare reagents and consider what the good earth provides to be sufficient. They offer prayer before a hunt, battle and any difficult situation, to ask for the guidance and support of one or more of the above mentioned deities. Tauren also express thanks through prayer, when they take from nature, i.e. chop wood or hunt for food.

Death from a Tauren’s perspective:
Tauren consider death as a shadow of life, and that it’s an entirely natural thing. They don’t bury their dead but they do prepare them to return to the elements at sacred grave sights–mummifying them until it is time for their cremation.

Tauren cremate their dead in a ceremony. The ashes are said to go to the winds and rivers to be one with the Earth Mother and Sky Father. The ashes fall to the earth, the smoke rises to the sky, so that the honoured dead are welcomed into this next stage of existence.

It’s common belief that Tauren ancestors go to the spirit realm, and Spiritwalkers (white-furred Tauren with the ability to enter the spirit world) guide the spirits of the deceased. These ancestors have been called upon in the past for guidance, helping younger generations with their accumulated wisdom.

Tauren tribes:
Having roots as nomads, the Tauren cultivate a tribal society. With some changes since joining the Horde. Their tribes have many names, but most are united under the Bloodhoof leadership and the Great Chieftain (currently, Baine Bloodhoof).

You can easily invent your own tribe or join one that is already established, by lore.

The warpaint colours, used for customizing one’s appearance, can be used for showing which Tribe you belong to. The Highmountains are particularly focused on their warpaint pertaining to the tribe they are in.

But for the Tauren in game? Not so much. We have very little information to go on, regarding the available warpaint. Which means, you get to choose for yourself.

How do you greet a Tauren?:
Mu’sha means moon, and An’she means sun. These are often used as words instead of moon & sun (even when speaking Orcish), and are also used when it comes to greetings & farewells. But usually a simple thing as ‘Hau’ is the best.

Examples:
- “May An’she shine upon your path.”
- “Mu’sha guide your travels.”

What kind of Tauren will you be?:
How your Tauren will see their race’s customs will be something in itself. The Tauren are simple people, and there is a lot of room to make a character that matches your RolePlay style. Your character may have unique views on things, or beliefs contrary to the norm.

Tip: The Tauren are survivors, look through recent expansion lore, and figure out how your character has survived the many wars and catastrophes! Would they have become war machines? Abandoned certain roots, to serve their path in defending their people, and the Horde? Or would they not have been fully part of the events of these expansions, perhaps keeping to themselves?

Tauren lore, the basics

The intrepid dwarf explorer Brann Bronzebeard believes that the tauren may ultimately be descended from an unknown bull Ancient, or some kind of animal spirit predating the Emerald Dream.

The tauren are the descendants of a bovine race known as the yaungol. Several millennia before the First War, the yaungol roamed central Kalimdor and lived in peace with the demigod Cenarius, but were eventually driven south due to not wanting to share hunting grounds with the trolls. There, the yaungol were enslaved by the mogu empire and twisted by the mogu flesh-shapers. Though they eventually regained their freedom along with the other slave races during the pandaren revolution, much of their ancient cultural heritage had been lost. Heated arguments led many yaungol to migrate back north. While one group traveled as far north as the Storm Peaks, where they took up the name taunka, the other group settled in the balmy areas surrounding the Well of Eternity. There, they reunited with Cenarius and rediscovered their ancient traditions. Those who studied with Cenarius learned the druidicmagic of the natural world, while others mastered the art of wielding shamanic powers. The energies of the Well soon began to change these yaungol into a new race, who would later take up the name “tauren”. The taunka, tauren, and yaungol retained some contact with one another for many years, but the Great Sundering finally shattered the connections between the tribes

The tauren of Highmountain were convinced to join an alliance with the night elves and other races against the Burning Legion by the dragon-mage Korialstrasz, and the tauren tribes were led by Huln Highmountain, wielder of the eagle spear. The xenophobic night elf commander, Desdel Stareye, refused to use the tauren to their abilities, namely heavy melee fighters, on the grounds that they were apparently as likely to kill night elves and earthen as demons. After the “tragic” loss of the commander, the tauren were re-deployed to extreme effectiveness by his replacement, Jarod Shadowsong. The tauren who survived the war maintained fairly good, or at least cordial, relations with the Sentinels.
Due to a blessing bestowed upon Huln by Cenarius, the tauren under Huln — the Rivermane, Bloodtotem, Skyhorn, and Highmountain tribes — were given the Horns of Eche’ro: moose-like antlers. After the war, these tribes would rename their home region Highmountain in honor of Huln’s heroism during the war.

• Source; directly from Wowpedia*
Tips and Advice - From Tauren RolePlayers

Kwavu
1) Why did you choose to RP a tauren?
I have always played human and or other ‘basic’ fantasy races, but the Tauren has always been appealing to me and with their sheer size and strength? They’re just a race that feels awesome to RP as.

2) The class you chose, how do you make it work as a Tauren?
Warrior, a bit self explanatory how it works with a Tauren but basically, he is a powerful fella, who can take some hits. Sort of like a tank, and then due to his size he is slow, which means that most hits in RP? They hit.

3) Any tips/advice for new Tauren players?
Give it a go, enjoy yourself with it. You do not have to start with a deeply story driven character. For Kwavu, I had one written story, about the day Deathwing roamed Azeroth (Cataclysm) and that was it. I evolved further stories for his background later on, when needed. But, usually it isn’t.

Galalilha
It felt interesting to try out tribal RP, grounded in Native American traditions. The whole thing about taking only what you need and giving what you can spare. Following herds of kodos and hunting them when it is time. It’s very wholesome RP.

I play shaman! My character functions as a skinner to provide for herself, and learns from the spirits when she can calm herself enough to listen. She’s a young Tauren with lots to learn.

The Tauren community is really helpful–so even if I was hesitant to throw myself into it, there were people ready to catch me. We’re still here to catch you, too.

Atahalni
I chose to RP a tauren because they have been consistently one of my favorite races in the game. I have always digged underdog/unconventional races in all kinds of fantasy genres, which is probably I gravitate toward races like tauren, goblins, pandaren etc. The culture of tauren was also pretty cool back in the day, and because Blizzard writes so little about the race they’re more or less the same bunch what they were back in the day (which can be both a good and a bad thing, but I digress).

I chose priest because there was this other tauren priest roleplayer, Matowa, back in the day when I still mained my goblin warrior, and I wanted to try my luck with the concept. It took me a while but I managed to make it work pretty well not only because of what I learned from watching her back in the day but also because I already had a lot of knowledge about tauren lore in the day. I mainly make the (shadow) priest bit work onhim by drawing from native american skinwalker and Nordic Sami sorcery + kalevala as source for his thematics, while also mixing the more obvious WoW themes like the old gods and the void into the mix TLDR would be that I make it work, as I do with every other class, by playing him as close to what the class lets me represent him as, while conveying in my emotes and RP that for example the way how he uses shadows is similar to how every other shadow user does it, but for him it comes from a complete different background. A much more primal and forgotten way, if you like.

Kind of relating to the above, but don’t try and represent something that differs too much from the race archetype: And by that I don’t mean that every tauren needs to be a carpon copy of eachother (nor should they be), but rather the thing that all tauren, even mine, have in common is that: - Tauren are a very spirutial / superstitious kind of people. Even if your tauren embraces magic and or being around spirits, they treat it with recognition, be it out of fear or respect.

• Tauren are a very communal / tribal kind of people. Roots are important to them, even if they’ve moved out from them. This doesn’t mean that tauren have blind loyalty to their families and tribes and/or elders, but rather that there’s, again, that kind of respect be it out of fear of being excluded, or out of acknowledging that “this is where I come from, this is what defines a part of me.” Roots are big for tauren.
  • Tauren always stood out to me somewhere between orcs and tauren in terms of how culturally similar they were to them: Less battle and glory oriented and humbler than orcs, and less primal/savage as the trolls.
  • Tauren are, for all intents and purposes, a very practical kind of race. They seem to live in the moment and appreciate what things come, whilst trying to maintain a normalcy to things. Even tauren that deviate from this rule seem to do changes/drastic things out of practical reasons (e.g. Magatha getting power in order to shape the destiny of the tauren rather than for things like pride/spite toward Cairne).

Pih-Noh
1) Why did you choose to RP a Tauren?
Because the OG Kalimdor-Horde vibe is dope. Can’t have that without my moo-peeps.

2) The Class you chose, how have you made it work with the Tauren?
Hunter. I wanted my guy, Mr P, to feel like a guy brought up on tradition but being too young to fully understand those traditions. Also for the sake of ICly being a hunter.

Same advice I’d give for all new players - it’s okay for you and your character to not know all the lore. Having a character that’s not 100% in-the-know can make it more interesting to learn new lore.

Zaltana
I enjoy the whole native american type vibe they have and their spiritualism, but also their ability to just wreck stuff up when needed

Hunter. I play my guy as spending much of their time in the wilds either hunting animals or collecting bounties from enemies of the tauren. I use the hunter to reflect their planning and prep work for fights before they use their tauren strength.

For tauren specifically, i would say to understand the raw strength and size tauren possess, but also don’t use it to god emote, they should allow the smaller races their fighting to be more agile against them. And also to not god emote

Ooskoo
It doesn’t get more based then being an OG horde race that has the capability to lift horses and topple wagons with sheer force.

Paladins get the boon of Sunwalker IC with Shu’halo tradition and culture— and there’s nothing more fun then calling on the literal sun to just bake and rip your enemies a new one.

Don’t be afraid to seek out spiritual aid IC and lore help OOC! Thankfully, most the Tauren lore is easily accessible and easy to comprehend, however if you’d rather learn things IC getting a mentor often leads to such paths. But just overall have fun being a mooman.

Ayla’su - Banoosh
I’ve been RPing a male Death Knight Zandalari Troll as a main since returning to Warcraft, and wanted something different. Couldn’t BE more different than a female shaman tauren. My main love for WoW is RP, and friends from my DK guild spoke highly of Aparoshe Stampede so it fit together nicely for my next RP experience.

2) The class you chose, how do you make it work as a tauren?
I chose a shaman. My first thought with this was power. Shamans are powerful, able to call on elements in so many ways. I wanted to balance that, because I don’t like to be perceived as overpowered. So I come up with the idea to have my Tauren be blinded in the past conflicts with the Grimtotem Tribe. Such a weakness balances out the powers she can call on. Also the tauren hold great reverence for the elements, they ASK for thier aid and are not always granted it. I do plan on being denied thier aid IC too, despite it being needed in the moment.

3) Any tips/advice for new tauren players? As new to the tauren race as I am, I would always advise to ask, ask and ask some more if you’re unsure of anything. The RP community is lovely and always willing to advise and help and share knowledge!

I hope that was understandable, and peaked your interest in that of the Tauren.
I will do my best to respond to any questions in this thread! I am not a lore expert, but I try my best.

So it will be, Earthmother guide you all!

61 Likes

Theia-shoush ahmen.

1 Like

Insightful, lovely read! As someone who often had thoughts of dabbling in tauren RP, I’ll value this guide greatly!

1 Like

Very based. Very powerful.

Also if you want to try out tauren rp, you should definitely join The Aparoshe Stampede!

3 Likes

I was brand new to Tauren RP before Kwavu suggested Aparoshe Stampede to me. This guide is fantastic but barely scratches the surface of what he knows :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Seemingly endless patience and a real loremaster! Hope to see more guides in the future!

1 Like

Something I’ve always been curious about is player-made tribes with their own created customs. Is this something that a lot of tauren roleplayers opt into or do most stick to the tribes shown in-lore?

1 Like

Something I’ve always been curious about is player-made tribes with their own created customs. Is this something that a lot of tauren roleplayers opt into or do most stick to the tribes shown in-lore?

A lot of roleplayers stay with the basics of what there is established in lore. (To answer your question)
Also, not many goes in-depth in asking about ones tribe and their customs, usually, they’d rather go in-depth on learning about your character.

However, creating ones own customs, based loosely on what other tribes have been seen doing, is not a far stretch and shouldn’t be too hard, either.
One can easily draw inspiration through tribal traditions of the real world, and take them into the game. One just has to keep in mind, that the tribes of the basic Tauren, is mainly pulled under one totem, with the Bloodhoof.

1 Like

the earthmother liked this

1 Like

Great post! Always interesting to see takes on races that I’m unfamiliar with.
However, your hyperlinks aren’t linking to anything, just so you know!

1 Like

This is a great post something I always wanted to get into as Tauren and Dwarf are my favourite races. Could never find a Tauren guild only as most seem to be in other guilds. Did try to start my own but the interest was not there but with this post it can only grow the Tauren community.

1 Like

Very cool and good read!

1 Like

Great post! Always interesting to see takes on races that I’m unfamiliar with.
However, your hyperlinks aren’t linking to anything, just so you know!

Thank you for pointing it out! I’ve updated the Lore Basics to the bare bones of Tauren Lore :slight_smile:

1 Like

love any bro who makes such guides and love any such guide.

1 Like

The age of Tauren has begun

On serious note, Guide is good, helpful and answer a lot of questions.

It one of the best one, simple as.

1 Like

Based, beyond based

2 Likes

Very nicely written guide, should get a pin. :cow: :+1:

1 Like

Hello, is this the based department? Yeah, I’ll hold.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the very kind words! I am so happy that this guide has been received so well!

1 Like

This is a great guide! Very much appreciated. I’m hoping to get into Tauren rp soon so this has provided me with a boost of confidence. I’m especially intrigued by white-furred Tauren being Spiritwalkers - I’ve never heard of that before!

2 Likes

I am glad!
Concerning Spirit Walkers, they aren’t really represented well either. And now the ‘blonde’ with Sunwalkers too!