RP Misfit Characters?

Do you feel like you struggle to find a group to join in Rp? I ask because not all characters fit in amongst the popular trope guilds that frequent the server. I’m curious about your perspectives on this matter and what you’d like to see happen… If anything.

Example: I personally cannot see my character joining an illustrious Knight guild – and there are usually a good many of them. They dominate the server, really. One or two in particular. Then there are some Mercenary groups which … are – er… more casually inclined than a long-term dedication for those Rpers who wish to develop their character’s storyline/s. Any kind of ‘dark’ themes tend to go far in that analogy; shadowlands involvement/starting up a cult. Not that I have anything against cults. cough Please, make some…

3 Likes

What stops you from making your own?

I have weird character ideas all the time and they rarely fit anywhere. Like mustard on oatmeal.

1 Like

looks at his guild tag
No… i think not.

Then again, being a misfit in a horde means you are likely extremely mundane, like an orc accountant.

1 Like

Or a goblin tax payer.

4 Likes

My char is… Something (Not Vax). He would fit nowhere if it were not for the guild my friend has, which is a cult kinda dark sort of thing. I don’t do normal characters and for that they don’t fit many places. If it were not for my friend coming back to WoW, I’d still not be RPing.

I’ve always found my guilds organically through rp; sometimes that involved being a misfit in a guild that on first glance might not suit the concept, or getting excempted from things the guild normally wouldn’t accept. I know at least one of those illustrious knight guilds you refer to have made exceptions aswell.

The truth of the matter is that it’s just part of playing a ‘misfit’, whatever that may entail. If you find that the server doesn’t have anything to offer you, it’s readily available for you to make it yourself.

Unfortunately I understand that’s a bit tough nowadays, with the sparse amount of rp going on in the world outside of guild spheres.

2 Likes

A ton of reasons, probably; ranging from the OP’s potential inability to make and run a guild (incredibly tiresome job), to the RP drought and lack if contacts.

In my experience as a guild leader, you don’t really get to enjoy the fruits of your labour in a consumer sense. It seems silly that the go-to response to people LOOKING for a guild is to mock them for not making one of their own. If anything, I would treat this as an interest check type of thread.

Sorry for the possible derailing, but I’m getting really tired of seeing this kind of response whenever someone inquires about a currently-poorly-represented RP niche.

13 Likes

This tbh. Some people may have stooped so low as to only seek out and check if there are any existing groups/guilds because their RL circumstances or willingness to commit to leading a guild has eroded to this state.

Honestly it doesn’t even have to be that. There’s no “stooping” when it comes to finding a guild. Sometimes you just want to be a part of another person’s story or tale, and rather than being a foundational element of a guild as it starts up, you want to join in on something pre-established.

While it’s good to encourage people by telling them to be the change they want to see, sometimes that change is already out there but just not known to the person in question.

9 Likes

Not everyone is fit to be a guild leader.

5 Likes

Maining a misfit character, finding a group I can join in for RP is probably my most frequent struggles. Not only from IC perspective - IC alienation and caution still somewhat makes sense, but it seems too many times people also OOC seem to create all sorts of excuses why they don’t want to include my character into much, or open that door to give a chance. Then there’s just the fact that OOC chemistry doesn’t always match → any further than casual IC interaction can turn into OOC argument which nobody wants to deal with.

Lack of contacts then leads into making bad choices in contacts, which usually don’t reveal their true nature instantly but later on. So instead of getting opportunities for character development or story potential, it more feels like being put into situations my character needs to boost someone else’s ego constantly in order to get a bit of interaction. Which I don’t enjoy doing. Usually it ends up with me just solo RPing or hanging on few OOC contacts for a few moments of precious IC.

Then again, people keep telling me “RP your more conforming alts to find contacts”, which may help, but ultimately doesn’t give me same feeling of inspiration than the chars I’m more invested in. And then people get attached to my alts and complain I don’t accomodate to their RP needs enough, while I still have my own to fulfill.

I can second this one. Running a guild is struggle, whether you have contacts or not. One of the reasons why I’ve refused to make my own after first years of BFA; doesn’t solve the problem of not finding like-minded people, or even if it does, it becomes too much managing the guild than RPing.

2 Likes

Oh if I might ask; just cause I am curious and really enjoy good characters!

Firstly; do you usually create characters first? Or do you plan them and THEN create them?

Secondly, do you have a set path for your character? Or is it more fluid / can be influenced by RP around you?

Thirdly; what kind of character types are you referencing? Your own ones I mean :grin: Like - what are they like, and why do you think people do not wish to engage?

Haha; pardon all the questions! Just nice material for discussing the topic! :beers:

1 Like

Assuming these questions are intended for everyone who roleplays misfit characters. It would be interesting to read input of others as well.

For me, every character starts with a wild idea and then develops, first in my head and then through roleplay. There is always some basic idea before character creation…

…But the path can indeed be influenced by RP around mine. Usually I stick to staying true to my character’s core identity, but doesn’t mean one shouldn’t be flexible. So, if for example, my misfit assassin would find partners in crime, he would dwelve deeper into what he loves doing. But if he found more upstanding people to run with, be it friends or something else, he might try new things, within certain boundaries. There are still certain boundaries and attitudes he wouldn’t cross, for example, it’d be very uncharacteristic for an assassin to turn into a caregiver for childlike characters or turning into faith - both have been expected several times and neither have ended in peaceful relations. My other chars might make different decisions, but staying within the topic of “misfits” for now.

You know those situations when you walk up to a group of people in a hub and greet them. There might be equal greetings and some small talk exchanged but it always stays the same. Even if you tried to drop RP hooks via IC, or offer something to the others, nobody seems to “take” those hints. Sometimes it can be that people are just invested in their plotlines and that is reasonable - but when it’s systematic, it just reeks of unavailability. Of course, sometimes people have different expectations and preferences for the style of RP they want to invest in, but usually you don’t stay around that to begin with.

2 Likes

Oh cheers! Yeah mostly directed to you as you aired grievances in the RP and how people approach you and it. But defo! Nice for the topic at hand! :grin::beers:

I getcha in several parts; although I would say the last part / questions answer I feel is both something I agree with - but also feel it to be very dependent on the people you meet.

As yeah my main here - is a DI; by their nature and history … they are bad - misfits in a nice and clean Alliance. So I totally understand the “dropping hints but people missing it” part. As subtlety and nuance is hard to both pickup and convey in the open social space. And most are not seeking the “reading between the lines RP” at least not when your out walking ICly.

But I am unsure if I agree with it being prevalent all over; as like I stated above - I just think people are people; and especially in larger social areas, some tend to just drown out details and favor larger gestures.

But cheers for the reply! Fun to read! :beers::grin:

Dark Iron Dwarves and Void Elves seem to be on the same boat within the Alliance, but since most of velf roleplayers RP Quel’dorei nowadays. Night elves are also isolated from Alliance currently, unless one wants to RP city elf. Not to derail the thread, but how is Dark Iron Dwarf RP/dwarf community nowadays, with RP drought?

Perhaps I worded that part a little wrong. Some subtlety may occur IC, but my OOC aim is to present my own stuff at a proper timing, rather than interrupting people who may be in the middle of something between their own inner circles. Unless there was like an IC emergency, or if it was as casual as asking for directions and going along after.

Stuff like asking for a favor for someone your character barely knows would be quite uncharacteristic and usually a little pushy as well, don’t you think? Unless it was clear they were available. In some cases I may even ask OOC if someone is open to an idea before bringing it up IC to figure out who could be available for RP and with whom I’d just hit head against a wall, or end up spoonfeeding.

1 Like

A city elf?
Night elves have and had cities.
Don’t dragon ageify the kaldorei.

7 Likes

I mean, what are all those refugees in Stormwind? They’re not ‘city elves’, they’re there because they have nowhere else to go. You can easily justify a sentinel going on a hunt through the Eastern Kingdoms chasing down their enemies and taking a break in Stormwind, or a scholar doing a tour of the libraries of Azeroth visiting Stormwind, or even just things like wandering traders and merchants.

I really doubt the Night Elves as an entire species are just all living in Kalimdor and refusing to interact with the Alliance.

7 Likes

Haha! Opfh, I do agree to that sentiment; but I think - if I am not mistaken, that they intended for it to be a case for night elves being more used to living in “open” air - nature filled cities; and not ones filled with stone and the occasional park (lore wise)

But yes; no age of dragons in this here world 🤌

2 Likes

Haha! Compared to the Dark irons, yes - Night elves should ICly be more open to their allies; seeing as there are now a lot of Nelf refugees that sought shelter in the Alliance capital! :beers:

Good shout! :+1:

1 Like