🛡 [RP Project] Stormwind Community Lawbook

Just copy+paste the 10 commandments, they cover most of the bases.

3 Likes

I see some guilds in there that are rarely, if ever in Stormwind to begin with, and the other is a newspaper guild - How often are they ever going to be in the realm of being involved?

I don’t actually use the forums, so I didn’t even know this thread existed.
But yes, hi, I’m Guenh, GM of the Amber Foundation, which is an IC charity. I contributed the idea of community service as a punishment for light crimes to this project, as I believe that with a proper framework, it allows people to do punishments that foster and create more roleplay, rather than restricting it.

Reason I didn’t ‘announce myself’ is that I literally did not know about this thread. Even if I did, I don’t really see how it matters, you seem to just jump to an ad hominem, which is generally considered a logical fallacy.

As for my guild, as you asked about all the involved guilds: We are neither a guard guild, nor a criminal guild. But we do provide small mini-quest systems that can be used as community service, such as taking care of planters around Stormwind. We are involved because we think having a framework in place that people can, but don’t have to use, is a good way of encouraging consistency.

Don’t like it when person A steals something and gets a slap on the wrist, but person B steals a similar thing and then gets a bajillion lashes. Feels inconsistent in RP.

As for your question about a newspaper guild, the Lion’s Roar, to my knowledge, often reports about criminal activities, and especially guard work. As well as potential guard corruption. It’s much easier to tell whether a guard is corrupt when you actually have the rules that the particular player goes by.

If you don’t know which rules a player accepts for their character, then it’s hard to say whether they broke any rules, as you can probably imagine.

4 Likes

I’d suggest only using this lawbook as a last resort, and only when people don’t know what kind of punishment their character should be given. Make things up on the spot otherwise.

Sounds like a great co-lab with the guards, amber and guard colab on quest type initiatives for criminals looking to clear their name with service to the Alliance/Kingdom of Stormwind.

These the guys making an article about Dragon Isles being discovered (they haven’t) instantly on the day of the expac reveal?

:no_mouth:

6 Likes

So as one of the founding members, you’re not even aware of the project being announced to the server - so there’s already communication errors happening in the foundation of the project.

Welcome to the forums. One the presentor of a community project goes “yes, this is something a bunch of people have agreed upon, but i’m not at liberty to tell you who they are” just isn’t fair to the people trying to discern if they want to be apart of the project or not.

So you’re neither going to be in breach of the “justice system” or enforcing it but you’re still submitting suggestions about what should happen to those that do - should I complain to you when one of the errent RPers attempts to force this Law Book and rules upon me in future then?

Who is going to monitor the people applying this Law Book? Will people have to record their interaction with guard guilds as proof people are (and call me jaded but it will happen, as it has every time n the past) forcing this on unwilling RPers?

Great, they are still not enforces or breachers of the Law Book

A law book isn’t about to change that any time soon

I don’t mind guards having their own lawbooks. I mean they aren’t canonical and their legitimacy is thus thin at best (read: utterly dependent on the alledged criminal acknowledging their validity), but I’m not about to tell them what to do or not do.

My mage has overdue library books and the guards will never impede his pursuit for knowledge.

1 Like

We’re sorry Obahar, your mage will be hanged for his crimes against the Library

2 Likes
6 Likes

So as one of the founding members, you’re not even aware of the project being announced to the server - so there’s already communication errors happening in the foundation of the project.

Not a founding member, never said that, please do not put words in my mouth.

Welcome to the forums. One the presentor of a community project goes “yes, this is something a bunch of people have agreed upon, but i’m not at liberty to tell you who they are” just isn’t fair to the people trying to discern if they want to be apart of the project or not.

I appreciate Tenebres respecting privacy. That said, the Discord invite is in the OP, so it would have taken you 10 seconds to find out who’s involved, and discern whether you want to be a part of it.

So you’re neither going to be in breach of the “justice system” or enforcing it but you’re still submitting suggestions about what should happen to those that do - should I complain to you when one of the errent RPers attempts to force this Law Book and rules upon me in future then?

I am submitting options that I believe would make good roleplay, yes. But no, don’t complain to me when someone attempts to force this law book on you - Instead, I would suggest just putting them on ignore, and going about your business, as no-one has any right to enforce anything on your roleplay.

Who is going to monitor the people applying this Law Book? Will people have to record their interaction with guard guilds as proof people are (and call me jaded but it will happen, as it has every time n the past) forcing this on unwilling RPers?

I don’t even understand what you’re asking there. You can literally just say ‘No, I don’t agree with this’, and then move on with your day.

Great, they are still not enforces or breachers of the Law Book

Don’t think anyone ever said they were.

A law book isn’t about to change that any time soon

Actually, yes it does. If you know that the King’s Footmen have a guild rule to follow that law book, and then you see someone from the King’s Footmen do something that doesn’t follow the law book, then yea. You know they broke a rule.

2 Likes

Thats the best

Man just roleplay honestly. Most of us are here for characters to interact with other characters, not to check the rules to see if the rules are being followed.

We’re hobbyists not lawyers.

1 Like

If not, then why is your guild listed as one of the prime members of the community Law Book? Or is anyone allowed to join to voice their desires? Because if so, what’s to stop cliques from joining and upvoting their own agenda?

Yawn. Another Discord for another community project, i’m in four or five, it’s good manners to introduce yourselves when projecting your desires on a larger community than the one you run.

Wow. This tells me you shouldn’t be submitting ideas - this was mentioned already, every law book attempt in the past has ended with guilds black-listing each other because of them, thanks for proving my point?

So your idea of this book is “If you don’t agree with the book, ignore the person trying to use it?” i’m not sure I understand, how does this generate RP at all? This completely destroys RP.

That would require me to memorise what seems to be a book without any solid rules, and rules that can be added or changed on a whim - which require me to join a discord community to keep up to date with. Do you see why this isn’t feesible? I have to destroy my immersion in order to be compliant and to take part in RP

3 Likes

I personally enjoyed the eight hours of Dialythe vs Lorothil. I lament that my screenshots of the exploson of drama at 4am were utterly lost.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying.

I’ve another question, 1/2 other guilds/communities also use a lawbook, how would a standard roleplay encounter go with them when they’ve broken / abused the laws within your own?

:cold_face: :cold_face:

If anything it should be a guide for new players and what consequences they -could- face when doing something dubious, rather than a written code of conduct for roleplayers.

If not, then why is your guild listed as one of the prime members of the community Law Book? Or is anyone allowed to join to voice their desires? Because if so, what’s to stop cliques from joining and upvoting their own agenda?

‘Prime member’? That would be new to me. But yes, anyone being allowed to join is the whole point of a community-driven law book, I believe.

Yawn. Another Discord for another community project, i’m in four or five, it’s good manners to introduce yourselves when projecting your desires on a larger community than the one you run.

Then just don’t join. I don’t think Tenebres should have to list every member on that server.

Wow. This tells me you shouldn’t be submitting ideas - this was mentioned already, every law book attempt in the past has ended with guilds black-listing each other because of them, thanks for proving my point?

If my stance of ‘no-one can force roleplay on you’ disqualifies me from submitting ideas, then I think our opinions are too different to find a common denominator.

So your idea of this book is “If you don’t agree with the book, ignore the person trying to use it?” i’m not sure I understand, how does this generate RP at all? This completely destroys RP.

No, if you don’t agree with the book, you literally have an IC out written into the book. My idea is: If you don’t agree with any rules that someone has set up, you do not have to follow them. Only you have agency over your character.

That would require me to memorise what seems to be a book without any solid rules, and rules that can be added or changed on a whim - which require me to join a discord community to keep up to date with. Do you see why this isn’t feesible? I have to destroy my immersion in order to be compliant and to take part in RP

You don’t need to memorise anything if you’re not a part of the Lion’s Roar IC in this specific case. Honestly, if you’re not a guard or a reporter, there really is no point in memorising it. Just don’t do that kind of RP if you don’t want to do it.

2 Likes

If you don’t like the project, just move on. No one is forcing you on it and if someone does, its an issue of that player.
Idea of this project here, on the forums, is to spread awareness about it. Those who like or support the idea, can join and contribute. Those who don’t - don’t. It’s simple as that.

So far it looks merely that you don’t like this project, based on your view/opinion/previous experience, so you bash against it for what reason? You voiced your concerns, fair enough, but it doesn’t mean it’ll just shut down. It’s been explained multiple times already of why and what.

3 Likes

I agree.

3 Likes