(RP-PVP campaign) Silverpine Offensive 27.03. SIGNUPS CLOSED!

They can bring their mercenary Gladiators. The “B Team” will throw them back every time. Don’t challenge our divine rule.

8 Likes

Why would I quote all of it if it’s a specific piece I disagree with?

Small numbers are a symptom, people either don’t like PvP or they don’t see the worth of engaging in it. You can change the latter by making it more impactful.

You have the best forsaken prattle :wink:

I don’t know how to get rid of this thing! I left the guild when I came back to join the wars! :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Try log out of the forums and in, that usually fixes it.

1 Like

Don’t think it worked
Gonna be a filthy neutral for life it seems :frowning:
Or until I slip in a gap someone :thinking:

(As a preface I didn’t attend so my entire knowledge is from funny screenshots / forum posts)

Honestly, though it’s pretty obvious that the Alliance had the usual problems - ie. loads of dudes turning up without signing up / the organisers don’t come down hard on them and it was obvious (at least to me) that this campaign would end in a way that favoured the Alliance (despite being in a Horde zone…) and I would even say that that was the intention, I will say in defense of the OP:

There were Horde guilds that signed up and overstated their numbers on a massive level. There were guilds that I know (from playing on Horde) who average maybe 2 - 5 players each evening putting themselves out here as being 18 online. There were also Horde guilds signing up - with the sign-ups really obviously being for PVP balance - knowing that their focus would almost entirely be on fighting raid markers / emote fighting (where the balance / numbers don’t really matter). I don’t know why these guys did this, but it was basically self-sabotaging and probably made this way, way harder to balance for the organiser

I don’t think Wilcox could have reasonably known that numbers / intentions were being fudged as a guy who plays Alliance only / isn’t as intimate with the Horde as a community

RP PVP campaigns on AD (with some exceptions) have recently gotten into a slump where they are pretty common but happen in a way I feel is really competitive OOC - people overstate their numbers to show off (?), organisers overlook a few dozen extra attendees as long as they’re on the right faction. People are eager to drop out early rather than stciking it out (I am guilty of this) and seeing some of the screenshots of the OOC chatter from this campaign - stuff done in /yell & /say - makes me worry Blizzard may have been right about the language barrier all along

Ultimately playing really competitively in restricted RP PVP hurts the smaller faction and has the RP end in the same way - a massive group of Alliance guys lay siege to whatever town the Horde are in and the Horde players escape, leaving a few days early. This routine is a bit of a vicious cycle (IMO) because it means every consecutive campaign has less Horde interest and so on

As a server we really need to go back treating campaigns as they were treated a few years ago, bros :pensive:

49 Likes

And how is that? Generally curious.

Frozen Heart 3 when? :pog:

6 Likes

My eyes flash a powerful shade of red.

2 Likes

I am Glad my Broken and Bloodied Body gave the brave dragonhawk fliers that truly won the day a sense of Overwhelming Pathos.

If only I were a Lion amongst a Pride than a lone soul…

12 Likes

This is something that organisers need to come down HARD to curb. Few things ruin a campaign faster than immersion-breaking OOC chatter or people not making the effort to roleplay in an RP-PVP campaign.

If you think the point of a campaign is to run into (or through, in many cases) the enemy lines and hit Mortal Strike every 5 seconds, tabbing out the rest of the time, you’ve failed to understand the point of these events.

23 Likes

From my perspective people treated them as co-operative experiences instead of trying to work out how to best use an ever-present numbers disparity to win the optimum # of campaign points/resources/whatever. Obviously people may have preferred to win, but I will say that I got the feeling that people were trying to write a compelling story together instead of just finding out how quickly they can milly rock in the middle of the Horde camp

People didn’t leave very often (and again I’m not pointing a finger at the Horde dudes that bounced early, I’ve done the same and in the case didn’t attend at all. You are all tough guys compared to me for sticking it out) and people seemed to respect the sign-ups a bit more. If a guild rolled up w/o being signed on, they would be sent on their way and they’d usually go without a problem. Now I feel like the same situation just leads to them being ushered in - “ah, what harm, it’s only five more people”

There was certainly no mass OOC yelling / OOC PVPers being called in to tip the balance in some small unrestricted fight

In OP’s defense - I will also say that the climate is very different - when I was running campaigns loads people acted really enthusiastically and were generally deterrent (with some exceptions) while now people are mega jaded and are more enthusiastic about seeing the OOC fireworks than the RP (honestly guilty of this also)

31 Likes

I asked multiple times and even PMed Wilcox on discord about the horrible OOC chatting issue. He didn’t even answer, so he probably doesn’t care.

14 Likes

In my opinion Campaigns are not competitions to see who can win within the restricted ruleset, but to create a narrative for those who bothered to attend in the first place. Sure you are always gonna get rule breakers, tag alongs and generally bad apples but its how quickly and effectively one deals with these issues is what matters in my inexperienced opinion.

6 Likes

I can’t wait for the montage. Donated some pictures to the lads meself. Gonna be a great laugh :beers:

3 Likes

There were no warrior poets amongst the foul foe. Alas, I fear there were no Warriors at all…

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the Spellweavers did not make it out of reserve for this one- then again, judging by the usual phenomenon making its predicted return, I can’t say I’m too sad; it would have bothered me more to add to numbers that ended up heavily unbalanced anyhow.

It does seem that the numbers were meant to be more even, but I agree that people should not bypass the restrictions. I heard of many that came in by permission, and judging by the guilds listed above either a lot of Alliance moved in once Horde sign-ups caught up, or many cancelled their attendance. Regardless, it’s likely difficult enough to restrict fighting to fit the smaller group when the other faction is just larger- how do we pick who goes, if we want to truly keep it even? I can surely understand the frustration on the Horde’s part- most Alliance players don’t want to blindly roflstomp you, we’d like an exciting, even fight, too.

Besides, I personally think too much attention is paid to blind PVP mechanics rather than the RP part of the matter. I seem to see emotes during larger battles more and more rarely, instead we get copious amounts of ‘YOUR BOY KING’ and ‘YOUR CORPSE WARCHIEF’ shouting.

The secluded yelling that somehow ruins your immersion is unfortunately the least of the issues in this, I would wager. I haven’t heard anything outrageously bad about this campaign- which, given that I did not attend, is at least a good sign, on this server.

Regardless, thank you for putting time and effort into hosting this for people, Wilcox!

2 Likes

Basically imagine you join a BG as Horde and you discover half your team hasn’t shown up, a quarter of what’s left aren’t actually there to PvP but have joined to purely do the PvE content and then some of those who wanted to PvP leave after the first engagement.

At the same time you have the Alliance who have hacked the mainframe of the Battleground grouping system itself and arrived with quadruple the numbers. Not only that, but their numbers seem to grow bigger as more Alliance PvP’ers trickle into the BG as the battleground progresses, increasing their raid group into impossible odds. They are all here to cap objectives, camp the Horde base and begin to /dance /fart /laugh on all two Horde players who stuck around.

Anyway I repeatedly tried to warn you guys to balance the numbers and I wasn’t listened so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc68NvqBrNs

25 Likes

I think it’s time that the server’s majority invests some brain power into role playing properly, I say “properly” because there are indeed wrong ways to do – what some lovecraftian entities would call - role play

I didn’t sign up and I wasn’t there @ the campaign because I’m still busy running an epic PvE campaign for my good friends in the Stygian Legion, but I’ve seen the horrors… the GMs need to whip their role players into shape simple as

:peace_symbol:

16 Likes

A big problem that seems to have come since the start of the campaign was general etiquette towards each other. The desire to grab a quick or cheap kill left a sour taste in a lot of people’s mouths, which didn’t really give folks much incentive to stick around.

Another thing that seems to happen every campaign is people taking it upon themselves to “anti-grief” as well as people just not reading the campaign rules. Any escalation that arises as a result of someone taking it upon themselves to take someone out for using an illegal ability just makes it difficult for organisers to sort things out.

It’s frustrating seeing someone repeatedly break the rules and having nothing done about it, and the temptation to do something about it is high (Lord knows I’ve been guilty of it myself), but a level of self-control is really required in big campaigns like these.

9 Likes