Scaling in dungeons is broken

That actually looks really cool.

1 Like

No you just step away calm down and come back and not be so harsh and blunt :slight_smile:

Thank you :kissing_heart:

lucky you. try getting something with leather armor to match the purple. :sob: its a pain.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but if an AAA company can’t fix scaling after running both shadowlands AND beta, it really doesn’t matter who’s name is on the “package”.
In an rpg, a character should be slowly getting stronger, there can be scaling for when several different leveled characters join in a similar activity (pvp/dungeons etc) but overal, getting weaker the higher you get is a bad idea.

2 Likes

I think that rule only really applies at max level these days though.

If you went from powerful to even more powerful, by the time you hit max level you’d be Satan incarnate lol

What I’m trying to say is, gear = power

Leveling = getting new abilities.

It’s got a variety of colours on it, cant’ you find anything?

wait…what do you mean with variety of colours?

Yes I think Blizzard are fully aware of this but it creates two problems:

1. Wow is one of the most complicated games as it has layer upon layer in its structure. The more code and features implemented, the harder it is to get it right and run smoothly and functionally. This is the rough basis of coding. So to create all the overlapping features wow has, then add in dungeon balancing so; a) all levels can compete together b) the pve process of dungeoning is fun and c) there’s no imbalance between a level 12 with 3 spells and a level 49 with all of them, is probably (and rightly so) inherently too complex for wow to developers to achieve right now. It requires many different power formulas that i would guess they dont have the resources at hand to establish correctly.

2. Getting stronger each level means you either start off really weak to ensure you hit a moderate strength as soon as you hit 50, or the whole system is disrupted because you then are too powerful at early game 50 meaning you become insanely strong at max game - overpoweredly strong. The power curve is probably the most difficult implementation for wow because balance is created on a complex conbination of factors.

With this in mind, is it not better for the developers to focus on creating a better shadowlands experience, than spend resources to try and tackle a dungeon scaling issue?

1 Like

I mean these colours

I love it when people are better are typing down their brains. This is exactly my point as well.

oooooh. i thought you meant that the set comes in different colours. :smile:

this is what i ve got so far. need definitely different boots and maybe a helmet though.

havent had the time yet to look for other colour variants im currently farming wands for Neffy. :laughing:

3 Likes

Hahahahahah. Those bangs are so fricken cute. I need a Tauren

2 Likes

I’d suggest not projecting your opinion as fact.

Subjective.

Quite irrelevant, it’s the fact that scaling has completely removed the power gap between lvl 1 to 50, and even such lvl players can outperform decently geared lvl 50, because gear almost doesn’t matter anymore, it’s all scaling and the way it works.

Exactly the issue. Things like this are very damaging for a MMORPG and i don’t think Blizzard realizes it.

4 Likes

Looks good so far, what about the pants from the set?

1 Like

Yes it’s a really complex idea and people straight up demand things without ever truly trying to understand how their proposed fix might work.

From what i understand in this thread, people want a sense of small power adjustment when they level. Now in theory that sounds amazing, yes we get a higher level so we’re stronger. But how does that play out in an actual scenario?

Someone at level 25 (mid level) will have a medium difficulty killing a boar. This is so a level 26 can have a slightly easier time killing that boar, because he’s “slightly stronger”. This results in mobs being really easy at level 50, as a result of a small difficulty deduction at every level.

What is the downside of this?

A level 1 would have to absolutely struggle with a mob, to the point of near difficulty. Why? Because for you to feel stronger at every level, you need to be weak at some point. No doubt this would kill a new players experience, because it would be a really frustrating time.

However, the other issue is mob scaling. This would mean npcs can’t scale. Right now NPCs scale with you, and this gives you a slower scale and they’re nearly the same TTK on every level, because they’re scaled. This allows any player to level wherever they want. If you remove the scale or alter it so you get stronger, then mobs get easier and easier because they dont scale, so eventually you’ll one shot them. This creates a HUGE problem at end game, because either mobs will be super easy and dungeons will be a breeze, or you’ll be so adjusted to being powerful you’ll come into a dungeon and get steamrolled, because they’re miles ahead in terms of base stats because previous mobs 1-49 do not scale.

Do people see the problem so far?

Now people are probably asking “but hey, why not make it for dungeons?” Well sure, they can. But it would then either make lower levels unviable compared to higher levels because of the “I want to feel more powerful” scaling, or it will destroy that concept because lower level damaging abilities have to be buffed to compensate for the lack of stats and gear, meaning as you level up your damaging abilities actually appear less powerful.

So, how do you fix it?

Well i have no idea. This is why i tried to explain dungeon scaling doesn’t work to the vision of the players requesting it, and it’s much better for the game to leave it as it is now, until blizzard can spend time to fix this conundrum.

The other alternative is go back to the previous system where low levels cant play with higher levels and we all have a worse player experience because of it.

Now do you see the issue why scaling in dungeons isnt broken, but an acceptable system?

2 Likes

Please see my post I just made to explain why it doesn’t work.

i ll have a look. i ll post it in discord, dont want to derail the thread any further. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Its not just in dungeons…
I had very hard times with my 50 level Shadow Priest to unlock Highmountain Tauren in Legion`s Highmountain.

On the other hand… I farm elites with my 20 level Starter Edition hunter in the same zone and they die like flies… I dont have to do anything at all, my pet kill everything by himself.

Nice scaling…

1 Like

1-49 and 50 will always have separate scaling.

For a multitude of reasons, but you just outlined one of the dangers i highlighted of scaling, once you hit max level you’ll feel either really weak or too strong.