Screen flickering issue

Hi,
I’ve built a new PC recently.
i7-9700k
aorus pro z390
2x8 HyperX Predator
RTX 2070 MSI Gaming
and 70hz 2k monitor

So, I’ve tried Wow on it and getting random screen/texture flickering in different places:

1. some textures might disappear for a few seconds
  2. spell icons
  3. random black rectangles while moving cursor on the map

I’ve searched forums for similar issue and tried everything suggested(updating drivers, dx commands), but nothing helped.
And then suddenly I’ve tried to turn VSync on in game(while already having Freesync turned on in monitor settings and NVIDIA control panel) and it disappeared!!! Was playing for few hours without any artifacts.

I know that the problem might be solved, but still, can anybody please explain what was that and how come something never mentioned before(in game VSYNC) “fixed” that?

Thanks in advance

P.S. can’t put links here for some reason, but
https: imgsafe org image 15ce81aaf8

4 Likes

430.86 have this issue on Win 10. 430.53 do not. (DX12)

It’s probably the video drivers. Blizzard and or Nvidia need to fix something.

Wow generally runs better with the .53’s on my GTX970. Something is a bit off with the new drivers.

1 Like

Quick update here.
The flickering hasn’t been vanished, but significantly mitigated after turning
in-game Vsync on.
Blizzard, is this a known issue as of recently? Any tips on how to get rid of it?

Hey Gwatram,

Unless I am overlooking something, the screenshot seems fine. It’s possible that this is caused by your monitor. Make sure that your native resolution/refresh rate in Windows is setup correctly.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

1 Like

Thanks for the input!

Resolution and refresh rate are set to native.
This kind of flickering happens only in Wow, other games I’ve tried(Overwatch, DMC5, BF5) work without artifacts.

As for screenshot, by looking on the left you can see that part of Boralus is completely not rendered with lantern floating in the sky, as well as rock on the center that is only half rendered.

As another user suggested, have seen any problems/reports that were caused by recent NVIDIA drivers, specifically 430.86?

1 Like

I have the same issue since updating to 430.86. Some textures flickering, often distant ones when flying from Dazar’alor down to the docks. Also get it on the interface, like the map border and parts of the map. Rolling back to an earlier driver fixes it. Seems like an nvidia issue to me.

Am not allowed to add links but it looks like this:

greathorde com / flickering.mp4

i fix it

in dx12 happen to me no need vsync on…

only need to open triple buffering graphics-advanced…

when open its clear… no input lag… no flickering or artifacts

10 Likes

recently bought gtx 1660ti , need a clean update in order to remove the “garbage files” from the previous gpu, these problems as you guys, and i think it might be game - or driver problem.
i saw somewhere that it might be raider io addon problem, i will check it and update my post

1 Like

i clean install windows and very clear everything… problem is happens sometimes when u use chrome watch video or another visual programs.

when i open triple buffering problem solved. but yesterday i got a little flickering. restart game. flickering gone. i dont know exactly what is problem. im tired of problems.

3 Likes

Im noticing the same issue after i updated my Windows to build 1903 and updated drivers to 430.86. Playing in DX12 with Vsync on. Its quite difficult to reproduce because its happening random. I dont know if its caused by the new windows update or the 430.86 drivers.

Sadly rolling back to an older driver version is not an option because they are not working well with W10 1903.

Few examples:

Flickering terrain

Flickering UI icons

I did not update to 1903 yet so I guess I can safely say that’s not what’s broken it for me. But thanks for the heads up about not being able to roll back after the update. Guess I’ll postpone it a while longer!

1 Like

Nvidia released a hotfix Driver Version 431.18. Spend a whole day playing with it and i noticed a lot less flickering during my playtime. Not sure if i got lucky or its actually better.

I also noticed a lot of texture flickering and it just didn’t stop there a lot of flickering in every expansion from pandaria to legion to BfA.

1 Like

Got these same issues when standing on top of dazar’alor i see even more flickering in the distance.

This needs to be resolved, i tried it without addons and the same thing happened every single time.

flickering, in my bags, spells, some textures like sky

this is happens Dx12… and waiting to fix… blizz nvidia? or who fix it. pls.

I think its on Nvidia’s end after driver 430.86. Sadly i cannot test an older driver because they are not working well with windows build 1903

2 Likes

430.53 works fine for me on 1903.

Hey! Apparently, the new 431.18 should “fix the issue” but according to 2 people, there’s still some flickering. Does 430.53 completly fix the issue?

Same problem here, 2080Ti-Oc w10 latest version.

Artifacts in the sea textures, black rectangules every now and then.

Any fix ? Thanks.

same here sometime it happen but not too much … just sometime. Same like video from Adlian

• GTX1080. 1440p@144Hz drivers 430.64