"Servers" model is outdated

As a player of a MMORPG in 2022 I should not have to deal with and navigate around problems like: imbalanced servers, dead servers, servers that could become imbalanced or dead, full servers with queues.

Each server should be able to scale itself to whatever number of players who play there. Using layers. This is the best solution. Layers will keep factions balanced. Also a button to check that says “See lfg and trade messages only in current layer”, to prevent text rolling too fast.
Dungeon finder as it is now in TBC where I can see and invite players myself, is ok. I would be ok even with automatic invite, but not the dungeon instant teleport.

6 Likes

No thanks. #NoChanges, as Blizz ruins what they changes. Plus we’re some that like a quite server.
Instead we should have had pop cap like in Vanilla. No layers, No sharding. #NoChanges.

3 Likes

I propose they just implement this technology. No changes to servers as they are now.

Players will chose where they play or where they transfer. You will see that the small pop, balanced and never dead vanilla server is not easy to find.

And - no cross realm. That is something else, and I agree it’s bad.

I play solely PvE so balanced is not a matter, but as I also play IronMan small pop is vital. Choices being the important word for me.

Actually I find the PvE servers as they are in Classic Era perfect. One populared (the cluster) for being social and running dungeons with my guild, one low pop (the RP one) for those who does not like to socialize, or for IroMan players who for sure do not need the dynamic respawn rates on even a medium pop server.

That technology does not even exist in Retail, so why do you think it will be done in Classic? While it is true that in Retail people are able to switch between servers at will so they can play with any player in the region any content (except some Mythic raids that are for some time restricted to single realms), it still works as having separate servers. I think the problem in retail is to turn the game into one single server with multiple layers is the AH and guilds, the two things that even today are still not cross-realm.

So, in resume, your proposal is not only a big change compared to the original Classic games, it is a big change that has not yet even been done in Retail, so there is no change that Blizzard makes an effort to change this for the first time precisely to the version of the game in which most players are against changes.

1 Like

I am not asking for server unification, or cross realm.
I am asking that each server is able to scale itself to the number of players who play there, using layers.

Players will decide where they want to play.
No more queues or dead servers. The technology does not exist in retail because they have gone another way there, wich I would not like classic to go.

I do understand how no more queues with this. But

1. How do you avoid dead servers?
  2. Can I have a low-pop server if that’s how I tick?
  1. True, dead servers will still be a thing. Maybe less of a thing in time.
  2. Yes, I do not propose any removal of servers. You can play where you want. Removal or server merging would mean (even for dead servers) changing of player and guild names, I believe Blizzard will not do that. Edited first post to express better what I had in mind.
1 Like

Thank you for this clarificartion. Now I think this sounds smart :slight_smile:

I remember that when first coming to WoW from Runescape (where you can change world server freely outside of combat) I had originally rolled on the Americas to play with my American friends, not realising that they were separate.

Was a sad realisation when I went to buy sub. :frowning:

Classic is also an outdated version of the game. What a coincidence.

1 Like

It is outdated for sure. But take Firemaw as an example, the server was already “full” when they opened up the free transfers several months ago, apart from Earthshaker, it was basically the only destination for Alliance players. Of course they will automatically flock there. You are literally creating the problem of these ridiculous queus yourself.

6 months ago there were a bunch of servers with medium populations that were struggling,b ut still alive. Why didn’t the nearly dead servers just get free transfers to those servers? Why were Gehennas & Firemaw even an option to begin with?

We paid to move to Firemaw 6 months ago, because our server was one of the few that didn’t get free transfers back then. We have this week taken the option of a ‘free’ transfer to Golemagg. The irony is, that 2 months or so after we paid a collecitve thousand euros or more, our server (who at that point had like 4 Horde guilds left) got free transfers to… drum roll please, Golemagg. At that point they finally closed the free transfers to Firemaw.

So we chose to survive and paid a hefty monetary sum. Just because Blizzard does not communicate properly, everyone got free servers but because Alliance on oru realm still had a ‘healthy’ 2.7k population, while the Horde one was dwindling under 800… we had to pay to assure our guild’s surivval.

Well, we survived. That’s the good thing. However, we did lose plaeyrs along the way, players who were tired of having to “fix” the mess the Devs refuse to solve, adress or even communciate about.

Players are left guessing and are forced to take action themselves. The whole bluepost from last week is just another example, it was just “we can’t fix it so you have to do it yoruself”. Lazy.

All the Devs seemingly care about now is their Q4 financial report, let’s just rush TBC, who cares about the players that actually wanted to enjoy the content.

All they care about is getting a nice subscriber bump in wrath so they can get some fat bonus before they hand off the reigns to Microsoft.

1 Like

Well, you cant blame companies for wanting good financial results, it is what they exist for. Their whole existance is dedicated to profit, not pleasing the customer if it goes against their earnings.
As a player, I completely agree with rest of your post, but I also understand companies and their motivations.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.