Shazzrah is on life support, we need second layer

Basically took 20+ minutes for an ony + rend buff to drop. The lag is insane in this server. The economy is getting worse every day and I can only imagine what will happen in AQ launch event. Blizzard really needs to make fasters decisions when it come to some stuff. The server needs a second layer or it will have the most unplayable experience out of all EU servers.

Is there any queue ?

The lag due to WorldBuff are because everyone play around them. This shouldn’t be a reason to activate layering.

1+ hour queues on popular evening times aswell.

We have between 1-2hr queue on raid days. Starting at 17:00h ST. Minor queue’s every day at peak.
Still no reason for layers as they break mora than they fix.

i miss the good old Days on shazzrah, cleared one layer whisper a Guildie “inv for layer plz”

blizz seems to be using the same tech it did back in 2004. even for retail!

oh fine, the graphics look nicer each expansion, but they just cant seem to handle more than a couple of players in one place, at one time.

even 15 years later!

Only time you get lag fiesta on retail is during big events like Southshore vs Tarren Mill battleground where it’s a 40v40 and 100 aoe spells being used or Isle of Conquest when everyone rushes Workshop.
Classic servers are just garbage because Blizzard are cheap and don’t want to invest any money than the absolute minimum to keep the “old schoolers” satisfied. “Ah it lagged in Vanilla so I have no right to complain #NoChanges.”

true about Classic servers being bad, i like how they openly go out and say " its not an issue u throw hardware at" at this stage its all just an clown fiesta

But is has nothing to do with the hardware, it is a problem of the engine which isn’t optimized for as many players as possible. Classic was built on the retail engine which was optimized for sharding and layering over the years. They can’t just throw more hardware on it, they’d have to rewrite the whole engine which won’t happen.
Besides that, players are using a megaton of addons nowadays which communicate which players around, in the guild, in the zone, etc. The more players you have the more traffic is caused by the megaton of addons which doesn’t improve the situation either. I bet without addons a 100v100 could be almost lag free.

give new enginge multi million Company rofl, why could pirate servers do it but not blizzard ?

you are right, but isn’t a lot of that also blizz’s fault? some add ons have been around for over a decade, so why haven’t blizz incorporated them into the game by now? even something so so simple like co-ords?

i wouldn’t put money on that…!

Afaik Blizzard somehow lost most of the source code of Vanilla and was lucky to find at least the 1.12 data and then rebuild everything on the current retail engine. I’m not sure how the p servers managed to get the source code of Vanilla or if they just reverse engineered most of it. But anyway, yes, Blizzard could have rewritten or developed a “new” old engine which is optimized for more concurrent players in the same zone as the retail engine is. But that would have been a huge task, basically developing everything again from the scratch, which would have taken way more time and resources Blizzard wasn’t willing to invest.

Which leads to the next point, Blizzard never expected to be Classic that successfull, they were overun by players and the longterm players also exceeded their expecations by far (thats why we had just a few servers at the beginning). I’m pretty sure that Blizzard never intended to increase the server cap to 6.000 concurrent players (and double the Vanilla server cap), which causes many of the current problems on the megarealms, since they were always aware of the fact that the engine won’t be able to handle that many players in the same zone.

But due to the success of Classic (all servers were overrun and way more players sticked with classic than they expected) they were forced to increase the server caps if they ever wanted to get rid of layering after P1 and without getting huge queues instead. I play on Skullflame, which peaked at around 5k players, but still had at least 2-3 layers, so every layer was smaller than a Vanilla server, so I assume they wanted to keep the caps at around 3k, otherwise the layering didn’t make much sense.

Due to the higher amount of raidlogging and that every single aspect of the game is well known, servers seem a bit less alive than they used in Vanilla and people keep transfering or starting on the megarealms, ignoring every warning that the server is “full” and even prefer to have a daily 5h queue instead of taking free transfers off to “dead” high pop realm so the situation on the megarealms will never really improve and there will be really huge queues on most servers when the AQ gates are about to open if they don’t crash what is even more likely.

If u need support to only so basic as life u fail to live… u should not be a life… orc just go out in forest and die after beating 10000000 gnomes then a wolf eats him

This. Any argument “supporting” the fact that Blizzard are greedy bastards and won’t actually spend money to improve the game/servers is instantly shut down with this simple question. Private servers only had issues when it was 80v80 world pvp fights and there were 90-100 aoe abilities cluttering everything.

Rebuilding the engine from the scratch and optimize it for as many players as possible is not an easy task, even for a company like Blizzard that would have taken several years and would have been a huge investment and would require them to maintain two completely different engines (retail and classic) at the same time. Since Blizzard never expected Classic to be such a huge sucess, it wouldn’t have make sense for them at the time they made the decision, so it was either “we do Classic based on retail engine” or “we don’t do classic at all”.

Besides that, as I wrote above, Blizzard probably never intended to have such megaservers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.