Should Blood Elves get the new diversed human skin tones in SL?

Yes, the scar is a continuity error since it’s a Third War scar, yet the movie takes place before that.

But it was meant to be an easter-egg Lor’themar, I guess. With the added scar for the… less versed loremasters to easily identify him since he had 0 relevance to the movie.

There’s more in that movie that errors.

Flying Dalaran? Check.
Orgrim Doomhammer being Frostwolf? Check.
Khadgar not growing old or killing Medivh? Check.
Anduin Lothar being the brother of the Queen? Check.

And more!

It’s not Lor’themar, just an easter egg.

As for darker skin tones? Dunno, seems weird to have people use humans as an example, when their skin tones aren’t naturally occurring either. They’re the twice cursed spawn of the vrykul.

I agree. Though I don’t think it has anything to do with the actor being Asian , some Asians would portray elves perfectly fine, it’s the “wrong” bone structure to how they are represented in lore and in game with more slender features and face structure that makes it off imo. Together with the most horrible cgi I think I’ve seen in modern times.

I’m 100% behind Blizzard adding more skintone diversity to the human-based (dwarves, blood elves, gnomes) races; it hurts no one, and only adds to helping PoC represent themselves better. There doesn’t need to be a proper lore explanation; just as dark-skinned humans evolved from dark-skinned vrykul, dark-skinned blood elves evolved from darker-purple night elves.

Whilst it’s true elves are not human and therefore don’t follow their racial conventions, they do follow a Eurocentric skin tone palette which is clearly based on humans (from a design standpoint), as with dwarves and gnomes. Blizzard has nothing to lose and everything to gain by choosing to finally represent PoC in their franchises - Overwatch has been great at that, and WoW following suit is an amazing step.

Remember; a fantasy setting doesn’t mean players shouldn’t be allowed to make characters they feel represent them. Humans and blood elves are the most played race for a reason.

5 Likes
  1. I for one don’t make characters that represent me, then it’s just… second life rp
    (we’re on a rp realm here…)

2. Are you saying wow humans and blood elves are the races that mostly represent humans? Because I don’t see so many bulky people around me as the wow humans, or so muscular yet slender as the blood elves. I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen anyone with elf ears either. I get humans because we are humans irl even though there’s a difference in both mindset and body built between the wow humans and the modern irl human. But blood elves doesn’t represent an irl human more than any other race does.

1. This isn’t in reference to roleplay realms.

2. This is pedantic. Blood Elves are, physically, humans with long ears and glowing eyes. They have a similar build, facial structure, height, hair colours, etc. It’s ignorant to claim a lot of people don’t resonate with them because of this; they’re essentially “pretty humans”, just as gnomes and dwarves are “short/beardy humans”.

This isn’t really the argument, though, and it’s a little divergent to focus on.

4 Likes

Eh, the elf archetype is always established as fair-skinned. They are popular in fantasy for a reason, since they are strictly – not – human. The only instances in some MMOs where darker skin variations apply are “Dark Elves” such as in ESO, but for Blood Elves I am really going to argue that suddenly just giving them that option really comes across as tokenism.

Humans of the real-life equivalent Asian/African races have always existed in WoW. They aren’t even different races in that regard. I’m really not against darker-skinned Blood Elves provided there is something that justifies it, not toggling a switch because “here you go, representation.”

4 Likes

Tokenism isn’t the same as representation, and tokenism as a concept is an edgy concept to begin with; it’s mostly used to ask why a character is a certain background, treating white/male/straight as the absolute default.

I don’t see how such a thing could harm anyone. Representation is often not done with bad intentions; and if a person of that background feels more comfortable in the setting when there are more people that look akin to them, then the representation is a success. It’s just about making marginalised groups feel more at home in the setting, as opposed to having to settle for the “deep tan” human skin tones that aren’t even close.

Bear in mind that Blizzard would do this in consideration of the average player, as opposed to roleplayers. A lot of fantasy MMO players design their character around an aesthetic they personally resonate with, which often can include a skin tone that reflects them.

Others in the thread have given plenty of justifications, especially noting that blood elves are a race based around the sun and therefore could easily have developed more melanin.

5 Likes

Look at the trolls or tauren for racial stereotypes done badly, if anyone wants to get offended by WoW there are many other things to get worked up about. I would prefer if the elves keep their skin colors as is, we don’t need fantasy elves to be multicolored to be inclusive of people in real life. And if you think we need it, then start fixing up the atrocious issues with trolls being a cheap mockery at afrocaribean people: they’re savage and cannibalistic alright, proper primitive like they ought to be right?

It’s possible to focus on more than one issue at once. I wouldn’t defend the representation of trolls and tauren; it was a mistake to begin with, but Blizzard at least seem to be straying further and further from appropriation in recent expansions (hiring black actors to voice the African-accented Zandalari, etc). That doesn’t mean I agree with their presentation to begin with, but, this thread is specifically about blood elf skin tones. If we were in a thread about the borderline offensive appropriation used in a lot of Horde races, I’d put my two cents in on that too.

1 Like

Alright

This is pedantic. Dwarves are, physically, humans with short legs and bulky arms. They have a similar build, facial structure, height, hair colours, etc. It’s ignorant to claim a lot of people don’t resonate with them because of this; they’re essentially “stocky humans”, just as gnomes and elves are “short/beautiful humans”.

Can do this for every race let me know if you want more

6 Likes

I mean, yeah, that’s why I said elves, dwarves and humans. I agree with everything you wrote. Hence why dwarves are getting darker skin tones.

1 Like

This is pedantic. Trolls are, physically, humans with long legs and noodle arms. They have a similar build, facial structure, height, hair colours, etc. It’s ignorant to claim a lot of people don’t resonate with them because of this; they’re essentially “lanky humans”, just as gnomes and elves are “short/beautiful humans”.

5 Likes

This is pedantic. Orcs are, physically, humans with muscular legs and arms. They have a similar build, facial structure, height, hair colours, etc. It’s ignorant to claim a lot of people don’t resonate with them because of this; they’re essentially “green humans with an underbite”, just as gnomes and elves are “short/beautiful humans”.

3 Likes

Funny meme, but it just isn’t accurate in the slightest. Humans, elves, dwarves and halflings/gnomes are the staple “human-like” races in fantasy settings. The format doesn’t apply to monster/beast races, which are clearly based on a different foundation.

1 Like

This is pedantic. Tauren are, physically, cows with muscular legs and arms, a tail, alot of fur and a bovine head. They have a similar build, height, facial structure, hair colours, etc. It’s ignorant to claim a lot of bulls don’t resonate with them because of this; they’re essentially “bipedal cows with an underbite”, just as gnomes and elves are “short/beautiful humans”.

5 Likes

Will you make any post today that has an actual argument in it or will you continue to present vague implications as facts and statements lol

1 Like

I don’t see how my argument is vague in the slightest. My argument is that representation is a good thing, and it isn’t exactly lore-breaking either. Just because you disagree doesn’t mean the argument isn’t clear.

2 Likes

You are correct in implying that for RP reasons a wider variety of representation (colors/possibly facial structures[?]) is good + I agree of course it’s just that your argument is so bad it’s funny