SL PvP vendors are not good enough

Templates could have worked, but damage compared to HP was so out of balance that the effects of templates were nullified by that.

The proposed design by Blizzard includes the ability to upgrade the gear you buy from the vendor. So assuming that people will be able to upgrade their gear all the way to the maximum item level, it’s all fine?

They also needed some degree of customisation. Just a quick interface that let me move 15% of my stats around would have made the system infinitely more enjoyable.

1 Like

If that doesn’t require being high rated in rated content. Yes.

1 Like

I agree.

So what are people complaining about vis á vis Resilience and forced PvE and what not?

The proposed design – so far – seems pretty workable.

People are concerned that if bliz aren’t adding any way to functionally differentiate PvE gear from PvP gear, then they won’t let PvP gear that didn’t require rating to obtain, be equal in strength to the PvE gear that required clearing difficult content.

If it had a pvp stat or something scaling related that made sure the gear could be strong in pvp without being comparative to pve gear, then this wouldn’t be a concern.

5 Likes

I will wager that Blizzard will do as they’ve done with PvP vendors and Conquest points in the past.

The best PvPers will be able to earn more Conquest points per week than the worst PvPers.

Everyone can get the same gear. Everyone can get the same upgrades.

The best PvPers get their gear and upgrades fast. The worst PvPers will struggle to get it all before the Season ends.

That’s quite comparable to the incremental ease of difficulty that PvE goes through over time, as people get better and better gear, enabling them to do harder content.

If that happens. I will have absolutely no qualms.

I’m just… idk, apprehensive? That blizzard would allow a pathway to mythic equivalent PvE gear that can be done entirely (Albeit slowly) in casual content. That’s why I’d rather have seen a PvP stat, to put this worry to rest.

Short seasons are a good idea. Then you aren’t sidelined for half a year because you couldn’t play for a week or two.

Additionally I like the reward tracks system from GW2.

sure but with PvP gear being that accessible a template system on top of that doesn’t really make sense outside of overpowered PvE trinkets, Blizzard should just copy / paste the WoD system and 98% of players would be more than happy with it imo.

1 Like

Yeah sure. I said that earlier in the thread as well:

I think the design Blizzard have proposed so far has plenty of solutions to work out in a positive way, but it can also turn into a disaster.
But it seems too soon to already deem it a lost cause and that all PvPers are forced to PvE and Resilience needs to be brought back and what not. It really depends on how that PvP vendor gets fleshed out.

Agreed, but I think expressing concern is fair, given blizzard’s track record on pvp gearing / rewards across BFA. And criticising what we’ve actually seen (Not just what we’ve been told) is also fair, given how little pvp based iteration we’ve seen this far into the development cycle.

Whether or not that criticism will appear warranted or necessary when SL releases to me is pretty irrelevant. Consistently expressing concern over things that are currently not implemented is a good thing to do as a consumer / player, in all aspects of the game.

2 Likes

Agreed completely. My point was that if people actually knew about the crafted PvP gear, then the WoD system already had the same benefits as the template system.

2 Likes

It seems there is a taboo @ Blizzard on going back to previous ways of doing things. The WoD system worked the best for many PvP players, but Blizzard seems adamant to not return to it.

5 Likes

Isn’t that because when people were playing WoD they were criticizing that very system for still being too bothersome, leading to the next iteration – the complete abolishment of gear in Legion.

Naturally Blizzard are going to be cautious about re-visiting any old PvP design, because the PvP community have a history of trash-talking and complaining about every single PvP design they’ve ever had.

Every. Single. One.

In retrospect, with the nostalgia goggles, players tend to think more fondly of old designs. But that doesn’t detract from the point that even the WoD PvP gearing system got completely run over by the hate train on the forums.

I genuinely don’t remember there being much of any complaining regarding the WoD pvp gearing system. What I do remember is being able to queue BGs for 8+ hours a day and not get bored.

1 Like

I am quite capable of looking beyond nostalgia. I can measure that by the time I’ve spent ingame doing PvP activities.

I only remember people complaining about the Ashran trinkets, and about class design. Not about the gearing system.

1 Like

Oh ye I actually do remember that, the RNG box system where you had 1 shot a week at a handful of specific items that are best in slot, and can only be obtained from this once a week lottery?

Hrm… where else have we seen that?

I remember the overwhelming complaint being that it was time-consuming and it took too long to get the gear you needed to be competitive and on equal footing. And since the process of getting the gear was just a boring grind, why not just eliminate that grind?

Hello Legion and Blizzard listening to the feedback and doing exactly as ordered.

Well we can’t say anything against that with certainty but I bet my left *** that the % of the playerbase who did PvP was way bigger in addons prior to Legion compared to how it is now, and I am sure Blizzard knows this too since they have the data.

so they should know what players actually enjoyed more