So ... 1400-1600 = 2200-2600 games

A blue post on the eu forums?!

2 Likes

It happens every few years

2 Likes

appreciated

2 Likes

So we will still have trash bugged mmr until “x”. But now we now its bugged.
EU & PvP = Devs: “Lets take our sweet time while we nerf and tune Karazhan first week instead using all them tweeter mythic raiding nerds feedback.”

You will still have ppl playing lower mmrs they should be anyways to farm conq easyer from us naabis for few more weeks and then their alts :slight_smile:

So this affect on us wont propably be much on big picture but still nice to see something from blizz

I don’t think it is a bug. It is a result of banning all Russians plus participation is low. So they are gonna do adjustments so people can gain more rating and complaints gonna down.

Not sure which one is worst, figuring about the bug month ago or lying about it lol

Not exactly, it doesn’t really matter how many people participate per se. What matters is what the artificial inflation is set to, which, keep in mind, they adjust much more often than what they tell you. So when they set it for a much larger participation rate than what ends up participating, I’m sure you can figure out what happens. And when they set it for much lower participation rates than what ends up participating, the opposite happens. That’s why it gets adjusted so often, to keep it at the “sweet spot” that fits the participation numbers and length of the season.

1 Like

It is the same thing. If participation is low and Russians are banned of course the old algorithm will not work, average developer or project manager should be able to predict that. This is not a bug, this is a failure.

Maybe the guys they are fired were the good ones at their job. It seems company is filled with weird persons which are excited about ducks.

All this sjw things like diversity, feminism etc. may work for Netflix but it will fail in a software development practices.

You’re not getting it, the ban happened a long time ago. That’s not the reason why this season ended up like this. It ended up like this because it was set to a larger participation rate than what they anticipated.
The reason SL s2 was so hyperinflated was because there was an influx of players testing out the Korthia patch and its season, so they had it set to a somewhat slow inflation rate. But then the massive exodus of players leaving the game because of the company’s scandals happened, which led to Blizzard reacting by massively increasing the inflation rate. Which would’ve probably been ok if 9.2 hadn’t been delayed, but due to the turmoil inside the company, 9.2 ended up being delayed, yet Blizzard was still stuck with the inflation that was designed to peak at the original scheduled release of 9.2. So it kept on inflating until they finished developing 9.2 several months after its original schedule.

So that led to 9.2 getting the MMR reset as per usual, and then a much lower inflation rate. Which ended up closer to what is “normal” for a season to end on, especially since 9.2.5 wasn’t delayed like 9.2 was.

So then they set the inflation rate while expecting an influx of players returning from summer breaks (because summers are typically always less active than other times of the year in the game), and expecting an influx of players wanting to test out the “new content” like fated raids and new season, and to gear up more for Dragonflight.

But when that influx of players doesn’t happen in a region where they had designed it to accomodate for more players, what happens is that the inflation slows down much more, especially with the MMR reset. Because it isn’t designed for the low participation rate.

So you see, the people participating doesn’t matter per se. What matters is what the system is designed for at the moment, relative to the participation rate. Which obviously, they miscalculated for this season. But they can always adjust it to better fit the season, which they will end up doing as Kaivax said himself while towing the official “company line” while blaming it on a vague “bug” to avoid the fury of the player base for their bad guess.

Yeah you might be right, I don’t know how those things are worked earlier. But if that is always the case they should be able to figure out this after 4-5 days. Currently they just found about it and there is no improvements yet.

They should have watched it resolved earlier.

It seems they don’t watch and analyze the participation and mmr constantly. So not doing is not a “bug” it only shows they don’t care about it until people complain on the forums or, they forgot about it.

Since they don’t care and focus on PvP too much maybe they should charge us half of the price. Since we always treated as second class citizens why we are paying same sub price with PvE players?

1 Like

Cause you cna play all things anyway, even a guy doing only quest and doesn’t care at all about the others aspect will not get a reduced price and pay the full pack anyway =D

But I understand your point of view 100%

It’s true that they wouldn’t really have a need to adjust it if players would be satisfied with it.

But there’s a lot of ways they can inflate the MMR, it’s not just a straight addition to everyone’s personal MMR once per week.
It also depends on the “natural” inflation events, like when players win more than what the opponents lose, like for example if you’ve got 1000 personal MMR and beat a player with 1700 personal MMR, it can inflate if the player with 1700 personal MMR is in the middle of a win streak until they lose to you, and you’ve got a win streak going as well except yours will of course continue since you won.

Because what happens with the deviation value in the GlickoRD systems which WoW’s system is based on, is that the more you win in a row, the more rating you gain per win, and the higher the rating of your opponents will be. So when you lose after a big win streak, if you won enough in a row then the deviation value can make it so you won’t lose any rating from your first loss after the win streak.

It has to do with accuracy calculations of a rating system, because the rating system is constantly trying to place you where you win 50% of your games at the particular rating range. So what the deviation value does, is if you keep winning several in a row is that it’s designed to interpret that as you being much lower than where you belong at the moment, so it’ll faster and faster get your rating up until you start losing.

The Elo rating system is different, it doesn’t have that deviation value so it doesn’t increase your rating faster and faster, or make it drop faster and faster.

A simpler way to put it is that to rise from 1500 to 1700, if you get a win streak in the GlickoRD system (and subsequently WoW’s system which is based on it), is that it might take you 5 wins in a row if you started with a stable deviation value. But it would take you many times more than that, if you kept winning 2, losing 1, winning 2, losing 1, and so on.

However, in the Elo rating system, to go from 1500 rating to 1700 rating with a win streak, it would never keep increasingly give you more rating. You’d always keep getting the same rating per win, as long as you get matches quickly. (WoW’s system starts by trying to match you with something like 50± of your rating, and if it can’t find that within a certain period of time it’ll expand the search parameters to something like 100± of your rating, and so on. It keeps expanding the parameters the longer you’re in the queue in WoW.)
So you might end up needing to win 15 in a row to go from 1500 to 1700 in the Elo rating system.

So they have a lot to calculate, which is why it can take a while to update the system sometimes. Since they also have to adjust it for the expected length of the season, as well as the expected participation rate throughout the season.

Also, it’s precisely because of this difference between GlickoRD and Elo that Glickman’s systems tends to be prefered by video games developers to use as a basis for their systems. Because it rewards win streaks more and more, thus increasing the dopamine rush. While Elo is a lot more stable, but also much slower. WoW used the Elo system in TBC (not TBC Classic).

1 Like

It is very strange that you have just discovered this, as for me it started at the beginning of season 3, and continues to this day.

I don’t understand at all how Blizzard allowed this, for what purpose did they do it? In season 2 I raised 2600 rating in 3x3 for 300 games, but in season 3 I could not overcome the bar in 1900 rating for 1500 games, I did not understand at all why my mmr was not growing, in season 2 for a winstreak of 5 games, I received 200-250 mmr increases to my mmr, and this it was great, it should be, now the game brings only pain and frustration, I’m stuck at 1600 rating having already played 300 games and everything is going to the fact that season 4 will be a repeat of 3.

Blizzard does not allow ordinary guys to take a gladiator who love pvp and devote a lot of time to it, who assemble a team from the LFG every day, many are forced to play all the time with different teammates after one or two games, as they constantly leave you after two defeats in a row against r1/boosters, and you have to get up again every time in search of teammates which takes up to half a day to play just a couple of games again.

The game should be fun, especially since this is the last season of the supplement and it was presented as a fun, Blizzard please give back people a fun, return the growth of mmr for win streaks, I’m tired of playing every game against r1 and boosters.

And I also don’t understand the ridicule of all sorts of pseudo gladiators, such as Bualock and many others who laughed in this topic. You are streamers, you don’t know what it is to play with random and assemble a team 15 times a day, you play with famous players with a huge experience. Show professionalism and understanding to this topic, because its author outlined a completely correct observation, wherever you all would be if you were in our place playing without a voice and gathering groups manually with low exp players or Which leave after each defeat. Ah, yes, you’re playing with Nastychaton 3.2k exp Elisabetborn 3k exp and others, you don’t understand me. You began to forget who opened this path for you and promoted you from the duelist, Without someone else’s help from top players, you are nothing. It is very convenient to receive an invite to a group whose rating is 400-600 points higher than yours, not to lose anything for losses, and for each win at the expense of someone else’s mmr, you will receive a big pts for wins.

After all, the further it goes, the more people leave the game, the smaller the arena ladder becomes, the fewer different opponents, and sports interest. And if this continues, even you will not be able to get a gladiator, because r1 will be the 2600 ceiling of the season.

We need to attract more people to play pvp, reward and encourage so that the arena up to 2200 is friendly to newcomers in ladder, I want a big ladder and not fight 100 times against the same guys.

In general, it would be nice to attract PVE players to play the arena, so that there is a layer of different types of players, and not just those who play only the arena. It is necessary to further revise the loot system obtained from the arena for pve. Let’s say that for 2400 in 3x3 a loot of the mythic raid level was given, for 2700 of the mythic raid last bosses level with an increased ilvl for pve.

It’s unfair when you can get a duelist level loot for 15 key, get a duelist is 100 times more difficult than closing a 15 key. Therefore, many do not go to play the arena, if you can go “chill 15 key” and get the same only without pain and suffering playing the arena.

We urgently need to attract people to play the arena, because the LFG is already extinct and it is becoming more and more difficult to assemble a team every day.
But first you need to at least increase the growth of mmr for winning streaks.

12 Likes

I can relate to this. I like playing vs players with higher exp, makes me learn, but
not if i face r1 every 3rd game after 1800 cr. I want to get some chill plays
not this 100% concentration games, when my arms are so sweaty i can hit a wrong bind. I want to face them above 2100 at least as it used to be previous seasons.

2 Likes

Especially on ARENA forums???

1 Like

Someone messed up the timeline

1 Like

I love how a GM blue post came in this thread just to correct you and prove there is something wrong with the mmr this season here lol. Made me chuckle seeing all the people here saying the op was wrong only for blizz to come in and say he is right :rofl:

2 Likes

I mean at that point, it took literal Divine Intervention (a blue post on the EU Arena Forums that is related to
 Arenas).

Can’t say that the odds were not in my favor here, but I’ll take the loss either way!

1 Like

Can you fix the ah so I can buy feasts please?

When I hit 1,8k I was top ~1,5k players. Now you are still top 5k with ~1,8k CR.
I don’t think anyone would seriously deny something is sus.