So, about Blizzard eSport Prize Pool and some Blizzcon stuffs

I really don’t see in any way how they would be legally in the wrong though, their statement was technically true, even if it wasn’t the whole truth. The problem with this kind of “strategy” is that its trading long term health for short term gain, and for nothing much to begin with, because I have no doubt that at least some customers will be more skeptical the next time they try those shenanigans.

I doubt this will have any impact on them selling a toy or something else again to raise funds. They will just have to explain it as if talking to a child, maybe an attachment with arrows, or a flow diagram.

I think if Blizzard have said that they won’t contribute money to the prize pool if the crowd funding reaches 500k, it wouldn’t have.

1 Like

At most, it could have an impact on future crowdfunding efforts for wow esports, not to selling toys in general. And it probably adds up to the image they already have consolidated lately, that of greedy and dishonest company, but whatever losses if any exist from that are pretty much almost impossible to ascertain. After all, EA had this image for years and keep selling games just fine, no doubt about that.

They did say they were doing that but I do accept that some seem to have misunderstood. Mostly their own fault for presuming how it would work though.

However, I think they would have made the money regardless. I knew what I was paying for and how they were using the money, that didn’t deter me from buying the toys.

They thought the playerbase would understand what a guaranteed minimum is and how it puts the onus on Blizzard to meet that amount no matter how the sales of the toy go. In future it will probably require a little asterisk* and an explanation at the bottom. Or completely reword it because they were totally upfront about what they were doing.

Next time Blizzard should use ogre talk so everyone can understand.

“You buy toy, money makes prize. Big prize. Me make big prize if you don’t buy toy. So always big prize.”

5 Likes

I love this, OMG, I nearly choked on my coffee :rofl:

1 Like

SORRY that like over 50% who went fromt he good will and standard industry are all stupid (Including Method apparently, streamers, most on YT, most influencers…)! Nah it’s us, you few are the smart people! As a punishment I bought the virtual ticket which I will never use, afterall I already had to fund their entire e-sport while I already have to pay a monthly sub and stupid amounts to get of a (nearly) dead server (2 months of sub per char just to transfer one, what a joke!).

So now they extra money from me (even more!) and I will just finish it with:

Yep they did nothing when everybody thought it be like this. Other people denying industry standards shouldn’t be expected… Even their other crowdfundings worked like it. Min price pool + a percentage from extra revenue.

E-sports are paid for by the company, they have a min price pool to which you can contribute. They finance it further by getting outside advertisement and if possible (usually is) community brand personalities hosting it for free. It’s aim isn’t to be profitable (although it’s an extra) but to make a community event to keep the game’s hype alive. Well Bliz is the only not like this, they need to make a profit from even their own players. A good will action since they conned so many people with their double meaning is to just donate that 500k.

The last time I will ever buy anything from Acti-Bliz that is crowdfunded. They don’t even have the decency to put in a min price pool themselves and expect us to pay for it fully outside of our sub, shop purchases and character transactions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.