So, about Blizzard eSport Prize Pool and some Blizzcon stuffs

20 years of gaming history, you might want to read up on how crowdfunding tournaments work!

A quick strawpoll of this thread alone would imply that more people understood it as written than those who presumed otherwise, so I would say it was fairly clear.

2 Likes

It states in plain English what they are doing. It’s not written in any legal jargon at all.

I wasn’t remotely interested in helping with the prize fund, I just bought the toys. So I think you are right.

2 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I’m glad you brought up Valve, because they do exactly the opposite of Blizzard. They prepare the minimum prize pool of 1.6m themselves and everything over that is from crowdfunding.

1 Like

If something is well written you don’t need a straw poll at all.

You are wrong, for some reason you can’t admit you got it wrong. It’s okay for people to misunderstand. This has zero to do with an industry standard that incidentally you can’t provide any information on.

You presumed what they were doing based on something that happened in another competition run by a different company.

You did not read the information which clearly states

we want to give fans a chance to further support the programs

proceeds will contribute to the year’s final LAN event prize pools

25% of the proceeds will contribute toward the year’s finals LAN event prize pool for the Arena World Championship (AWC) and the Mythic Dungeon International (MDI) with a guaranteed minimum prize pool of $500,000 USD ($250,000 USD for each event.)

I’m sorry if you are not getting it but that says they are going to allow fans to contribute to the prize fund, that the prize fund needs to be at least 500k and they guarantee that will be met.

A guarantee means the onus is on them to ensure that the prize fund is at least 500k. It does not state anywhere that they are providing the money for that fund. That is all in your head.

3 Likes

Fair point, but I blame the parents/school system/government*

*delete as appropriate

I am presuming that Blizzard are not scum, yes, sorry, I’m wrong, they are.

1 Like

To be honest, that’s different from how I’ve seen how crowdfunded prizes work.

I’ve always seen they work that if a minimum amount isn’t reached, only then the organizer of the contest would chip in to reach it.

1 Like

Please always get legal advise before you sign any document or get someone to read it through because you can’t go through life presuming things and thinking you can get sympathy after the fact.

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

4 Likes

Really? To me this is the first instance that I see of it. Or maybe just the first that I notice.

I mostly compared it to similar sales done by Valve, Riot, Hi-Rez, Ubisoft, and Blizzard (in Starcraft) funnily enough.

I seriously don’t understand you, I understand @Jito, because he likes to lick Blizzard’s boot, deffending a move that is specifically missleading towards players, based on 20 years of industry practise, in order for more sales of toys.

Example - look at the Starcraft 200k warchest. It is simple and plain. Ironically, it’s a Blizzard game, shrung, who knew?

2 Likes

It is not misleading. You have misunderstood, there is a difference.

2 Likes

Therefore, we committed to contribute 25% of all War Chest purchases directly into the StarCraft II esports ecosystem, the first $200,000 of which would enhance the existing $500,000 prize pool for the StarCraft II World Championship Series Global Finals…

25% of the proceeds will contribute toward the year’s finals LAN event prize pool for the Arena World Championship (AWC) and the Mythic Dungeon International (MDI) with a guaranteed minimum prize pool of $500,000 USD ($250,000 USD for each event.)

See the difference?

2 Likes

YES this proves my point

ENHANCE

GUARANTEE

two very different statements

2 Likes

In about 2 days people will have forgotten about this and focus on how bad Blizzcon was, how worthless the Q&A was and so on. And then a few weeks after that something new will be the focus.

There must always be a…
< crackling lightning in the distance >
…Blizzard-dislike thread.

2 Likes

More insults. I see. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

As you are the one who cannot see the difference between the two statements then I would suggest maybe not throwing stones when you are stood in a glass house.

2 Likes

No, you are not that stupid, you just try to convise yourself and the others, I guess, that those two statments are so much different than each other, that players must have known that the 2nd doesn’t mean a 500k prize pool is already existing.

I can understand the difference between

and

I’m sorry that being able to read upsets you.

4 Likes