So, about Blizzard eSport Prize Pool and some Blizzcon stuffs

But they are different.

The first refers to the Starcraft prize.

The second refers to the WoW prize.

They are being crowdfunded differently.

2 Likes

But they are a lot different to each other.

One is saying that they will top up a $500,000 prize pool to the tune of $200,000 maximum of an item sold. The other is stating that 25% of the money from an item will go towards a prize pool and if the pool doesn’t reach $500,000 then Blizz will guarantee that amount of money available.

3 Likes

Existing: in existence or operation at the current time.
Guaranteed: for which a guarantee is provided; formally assured.

How are they not similar?

Enhance is to make better. To improve. So on top of the prize fund they are providing there will be extra funding.

Guaranteed, so if it falls short then they will make it up to the Guaranteed prize fund. That’s what guarantee is. They guarantee there will be at least x amount on the day.

5 Likes

No it doesn’t, if it did, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Yes it does. That is what a guarantee does.

3 Likes

Just stop, this is getting embarassing, you clearly can’t read properly

3 Likes

It didn’t because more than $2 million was raised on the sales of the toy so it wasn’t required.

That’s exactly what a guarantee is.

2 Likes

Nope, going back to the industry standart - guarantee for a crowdfunded tournament means that the prize pool of 500k is already existing and everything else above that is from the toy sales.

1 Like

guarantee
/ɡar(ə)nˈtiː/

noun

1.1. a formal assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled, especially that a product will be repaired or replaced if not of a specified quality.

2.2. LAW - an undertaking to answer for the payment or performance of another person’s debt or obligation in the event of a default by the person primarily responsible for it.

3 Likes

This refers to the Starcraft prize. Crowdfunding is on top of the 500k.

This refers to the WoW prize.
Crowdfunding starts at 0. Blizzard will guarantee a 500k prize if crowdfunding doesn’t reach that.

1 Like

Nobody said it starts from 0. That is my entire point. The statment was formed in a way to misslead the players that 500k prize pool is already existing!

They didn’t say it didn’t start from zero. In fact they didn’t state they’d be putting any money in at all. Only guaranteeing a minimum fund would be available for the competition. In the event that the items did not sell well enough they’d make up the difference.

3 Likes

I’m not saying they aren’t legally covered mate. I’m saying they are morally unsound, and I won’t change my opinion because you choose to lawyerspeak it up, and I don’t expect you to change yours either. But my take on the situation is and will remain that Activision acted once again like the greedy f…s they are.

4 Likes

Dude, how can you not get that? This is not how you do a crowdfunding tournament! Ironically, Starcraft, which is the same company did it right!

2 Likes

True, it doesn’t specifically say that.
But (to me) that’s what it means if in the same sentence it says it contributes to a prize pool. It also doesn’t say “enhance” like it does with the Starcraft prize.

1 Like

Feeling they are morally unsound is very different from saying they cheated the player base and lied to them. I’m not asking you to change your opinion on what you feel about them for funding this the way they did. There was no deception, that is my only point really.

I imagine the first time a company used crowdfunding for their prize fund pool it wasn’t met with a good reaction from all either. Some saw it as a way to leech off their player bases. Now it’s more common.

If companies can completely fund their prize pools via some electronic sales then more might go that route.

I have shown you that the two statements say different things. You don’t seem to be able to see that. One is enhanced the other is just a guarantee that the prize fund will be a certain size. They are not the same.

You presumed that the prize fund for this would be the same as the other and it isn’t. You didn’t read what it said.

You still don’t seem to understand.

3 Likes

And you don’t seem to be able to see the purposefully similarity of the 2, missleading the player base, just to cash in more money out of toys. Also this is not how you croundfund tournaments!

No, it’s not. It’s just the same as when a politician leads people to believe he or she is or will do something, gets elected, and then proves to be or does something else that expected. It’s not illegal, it’s immoral. Activision, in this case, did exactly like the politicians do - they are legally covered with their subterfuge, but they effectively misused the accepted norm for crowdfunding e-sports events. That’s exactly that - cheating the electorate in the case of a politician, cheating the players in the case of Activision.

One more strike to add to the Activision tally for me.

2 Likes

I read what things say. Then I decide what I want to do. I read that they were using 25% of the toy sales and I still bought them. I read that they were doing this to raise their funds, I also read that the fund would be guaranteed to be at least 500k, so I knew that Blizzard would make up the difference if they didn’t sell enough of the toys.

They sold more than enough to make the full prize fund pool that they guaranteed and more on top.

The Starcraft prize fund was totally different.

It’s the difference between Enhance and Guarantee.

You can’t go through life presuming everything is the same.

3 Likes