So I just made a human and the result was disgusting

I made a human for a laugh and did not skip the intro and I can really see why WoW has been losing players.
The intro focuses heavily on recent events which are of course impossible to explain to the player since the intro literally is merging 3 or 4 expansions into one explanation. First it talks about Wrynn coming back (even though he is dead already??) and then about the demons and and and.

New players do not care about big story details like this. Can we please change the intro and focus only on 1 single thing.
Tell the new players only about the race they are going to play! Do not tell them about demons, not about pandas, not about ANYTHING except things like “humans are known to be versatile” or “dwarves like living in caves!” New players want to start the game as a NOBODY and know NOTHING about the world except that it is a MMORPG world where they can have fun.

Please do this cause right now the intro is simply extremely dumb. I am shocked that this was even approved to be implemented cause it literally makes no sense. I showed it to my non player friends and they honestly all had not much idea what the guy talks about or is even trying to say.

16 Likes

they are changing the intro.
you see, there’s this thing called Shadowlands…

17 Likes

thats a human life for you
very short! :sleepy:

5 Likes

In future you will get a choice between the current starter areas or a joint one everyone goes to (not race specific).

If you are new to the game you will only be able to experience the new starter zone and will have to level through BfA on your first character. After that you will get the same choices everyone else does.

I’m not sure what was so bad about the human intro.

1 Like

… sounds like a punishment :frowning:

8 Likes

It was a really smooth experience when I tested it on Alpha, personally questing has never been something that was done badly in any expansion. Even in my most hated expansion Cataclysm I enjoyed my first run through.

It is the most logical story to follow for a new player into Shadowlands.

2 Likes

How do you know?

Personally I don’t think the intro could cause any problems for new players.

The intro is so short, and you are so fast out of the starter area (unless you are a worgen or goblin), that if you spend the rest of your gaming time pondering about the intro I believe you will loose a lot of the good stories in the game.

How long were those breaks you took?

When I pick up chars I left behind for a long time and start playing with them, they feel broken. The story they followed is also weirdly placed and everything is misplaced complaired to where it was before.

If you really wanted to create a good weekend post, then you would have spend some more time looking at Classic, because when it comes to quest and story I personally feel they have cut corners places where they shouldn’t have.

Of course they wouldn’t, an intro would never reveal the entire story, the purpose if to make people interested in the story, so they would like to continue - it is bait.
If they told everything, then why would the player continue on their journey.

1 Like

Okay so I will try to explain it again so that you can actually understand.

New players view WoW as a MMORPG. They want to be presented with a game where they are a nobody and they are thrown into a world where they beat bad guys, wear pretty armour and can meet other players. New players do not care nor do they want to know about the complicated endgame lore where Sylvanas is being controlled by the jailer and the jailer was controlling Sargeras and Illidan will come back fused with Sargeras to fight the void and all this bs. One of the main things any old school WoW player will tell you that they loved about WoW is that they simply… PLAYED the game and nothing more. New players wanna start a new char and then they wanna run to Westfall and whack bandits on the head but if they start and they get told that they are spaceship commanders flying to the void next expansion they will simply be put off.

2 Likes

I thought the result was disgusting because humans are disgusting…

9 Likes

The only confusing part is fact that warchief and king is not locked inside instance. They should have throne room that is linked to your (specifically) progress.

Horde should have Garrosh when you start… till Pandaria to get Vol’jin… into Sylvanas for Legion.

Skipping content should have warning about those changes being permanent :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

You just managed to sum up why retail is in the state it currently is…

Players like you are at the core of the problem imo.

Every race, barring the allied races and the Pandaren, have the Cataclysm intro videos.
Hell, Night Elves start on Teldrassil and talk about Malfurion only recently returning to joint leadership with his love, Tyrande.

Find something else to QQ about.

3 Likes

I think you are mistaking what you want with what others want.

The overhaul for Shadowlands has been done specifically based on new player feedback.

I still don’t see how the starter area makes anyone think anything other than here is my human and I’m going to learn to play at a very basic level doing the quests I’m sent to.

7 Likes

We can’t help it :frowning:

Where is the source that it was based on new player feedback? To me it sounds like they just made it so they can train noobs which is why the island ends with a mini raid… that is NOT what new players want.

1 Like

At BlizzCon part of Ion’s presentation.

Having run through the levelling on Alpha I think the new system is actually really nice.

I work in a company a lot larger than Blizzard and I can tell you that things like this casually said during a presentation without any data mean completely nothing. It’s just said in a way to make the feature more appealing but in reality they did what they felt would improve the new player experience. But good for you if you fall for marketing this easily. Thanks for your money.

I’m really not going to believe they are trying to sabotage their own game.

You just don’t like the changes they are making. However in practice, it makes much more sense, gives a far better introduction to the game. After their first character they can vary their levelling journey choosing a different expansion and the original starter zone should they wish.

5 Likes

I have a hard time understanding why anybody would be put off by a 30 second intro.

Also, how are you so sure YOU know what new players want?

6 Likes

A MMORPG, as the name says, includes a part of RP?

Since Game Lore is essential to this part, I honestly do not get why attempting to explain some of it to a new player is a bad thing.

As they have been last updated in Cataclysm most of the intros could use a new update… but then again, I believe that’s coming in the Shadowlands, together with a brand new simplified starting experience, called Exile’s Reach.

So… the problem was…?

6 Likes