SoD characters have no place on Era after the season ends

With the 100% experience boost and incursions leveling is a complete joke. I don’t think these characters have place on Era after the season ends. It’s like having level boosts on Era. With the overpowered gear and runes these characters annihilate mobs in the open world.

1 Like

Why on earth would you even think a retail character goes to era? :confused:

2 Likes

If you think they are going to get moved in their current state they you couldn’t be more wrong.

1 Like

Why anyone from sod would ever play on era? Most sod players dont even want play on sod anymore

4 Likes

I said this exact same thing 6 months ago at the start of SoD.

The alarm bells started ringing after a SoD developer interview in wich they were asked what would happen to SoD characters at the end of SoD

Quote:

"Q: A lot of people are really excited for Season of Discovery, but there are some players already hesitant, because they don’t know what will happen at the end of Season of Discovery. Are their characters going to get moved to Classic Era realms and lose all their new gear, new runes, and new spells?

A: We’re still figuring out the specifics of everything. We’re still trying to determine what the right thing to do is. There may be a version of an Era realm for Season of Discovery. At the end of the day, Seasonal content is we’re taking a lot of risks and we’re learning lessons, there is going to be some things that people really like and some things people don’t really like. We’re totally fine with that. If there is a place where the greatest aspects of this Season can live, that’s where we want our Season of Discovery players to go. There will 100% be a place where characters can migrate once the season ends. Maybe we have to take some Runes away, but maybe some Runes are so beloved that we can incorporate it into the realm they go to, we aren’t really sure yet and we are listening to the community on feedback."

Just the fact that someone with hands on the wheel can say that “we can just take the runes away and then maybe move the characters to Era” is scary.

Era is already the character dump for SoM characters aswell as hardcore characters that died. SoD characters however, are very different to Era characters. So lets explore the options of what can happen to them, let me know if you can think of any other:

-Option 1: Just close the servers, end the season, and delete the characeters. This is something that they say 100% will not happen, but just saying something like that has never stoped anyone from actually doing it. They said SoD characeters will 100% have a place to go, and the follwing other options explore where those places could be.

-Option 2: Season of Discovery is in fact NOT a season. Those servers are permanent, wont close like SoM servers did, and those characters will just stay there in their servers.

-Option 3: New “WoW Discovery” servers will open, permanent SoDlike servers, where SoD characters will be able to transfer to, at the end of the season, before the closing of the Servers. This is essentially the same as Option 1 but just with the extra anoyance to the players of having to perform a server transfer on their characters.

-Option 4: SoD characters get transfered to Era. Clearly SoD characeters are not going to Cata or War within, so despite the great incompatibility, Era is the most compatible version with SoD among all the other WoW versions, therefore:

— Option 4 / A: SoD characters get all their non Era compatible stuff removed, Runes, new gear, items, reputations, quests, and get sent into Era.
----Option 4 / B: Classic Era servers get all SoD changes introduced in them, and all current era characters obtain the rune system, quests, gear, dungeons, ect.
---- Option 4 /C: a mix of the above.

Now lets talk about all these options.

First off, option 1 is not supoused to happen. My hope is that they do option 2. Seems the most straight forward, and option 3 is basically just the same thing with an extra step.

Me personally, I’ve been playing on Era for the past 3 years, because i want to play in a version of WoW that is the closest to the original version of WoW possible. I’m not the only one. I belive most of the people who play on Era consistently (yes, we are few, but we are in there) we want Era to stay “Vanilla #NoChanges” as much as possible, so doing option 2 o 3. and leaving the vanilla loving core of Era in peace is the best move for Era (in my opinion) , while also alllowing the SoD players to keep their characters, just somewhere else.

People who play SoD, are a very different playerbase. they like the novelty. they like exploring new things, and thats fine and cool, we all like different things, i’m just saying that me, and most of us Era players, we just want a stable version of vanilla wow that doesn’t keep changing.

Both Era and SoD players will hate all the variables of Option 4, with “A” being hated most by SoD players, “B” being hated most by Era players, and “C” just being hated a lot by both. Any of those variables will lead to high suscription drops on either or both of those playerbases.

Era is too good for this, mon.

Have you considered the possibility of a “TBC SoD”?

1 Like

TLDR

If Blizzard won’t add new raids (yes, several) to allready existing lvl 60 ones, SoD would die pretty fast, because people weren’t eager to play SoM raids with slightly altered boss abilities as well. Only adding some skills to classes won’t do the trick.

Option 5 - they go to Cataclysm realms.

1 Like

why? they don’t belong to cata either, remove the runes

Hence why I said this.

1 Like

Too long didn’t read? ok no problem, here is short version for you:

We are talking abotu what will happen to SoD characters. We saw that SoM ended, servers were closed and characters transfered to Era and Wrath. but will the same happen to SoD characters?

-Option 1: SoD Servers close, chracters get deleted. Blizzard says this will 100% not happen.

-Option 2: SoD Severs don’t close.

-Option 3: New PermaSoD servers are created, and SoD characters get transfered there.

-Option 4: SoD characters get transfered to Era, with 3 possible variations, Either SoD characters get SoD features removed and become Era characters, or Era servers obtain SoD features, or a mix of the above.

Playerbase of Era servers doesn’t like change, we want to play a stable version of WoW that is like original vanilla wow.

Playerbase of SoD servers like change, they want to experiment new things and have new content added in the spirit of Classic Plus…

They should not be mixed. Thats why option 4 is bad, everyone on both playerbases will hate it.

I hope Blizzard does Option 2 or 3.

1 Like

We will get Option 4 / A, I have no doubt about this, with a 0.5% chance of them going to Cataclysm.

1 Like

But we are already doing tbc 70 dps at lvl 50…:smiley:

The whole rune system worked perfectly fine, when it was limited to 3 skills, although some hiccups occurred. But as more tunes were added it bacame clear that some classes needed more abilities than others to be balanced and rune slot limits just became a barrier for better tuning.

Also SoD audience became very FOMO as they rush opening weeks of the phase and then dissappear till next one. I don’t see them stay for long as Classic 2019 audience did who were waiting for all raids to be released and for TBC, Wrath and some people wanted Cata and even MoP.
Unless they make SoD TBC with skills from let’s say MoP or Legion there is no reason to keep SoD Classic as it’s audience will evaporate couple of weeks after raid development cycle end announcement.

I expect new season to be announced that will either destroy SoD with replacement/stagnation or keep it’s theme, but reworking rune system completely.

Hum, if that’s the case, is SoD going too far?
In any case, yeah, SoD Burning Crusade would have to account for the increase DPS and buff the content (damage, defense, life etc…)

SoD stuff and runes is not the only problem. Other problem is xp buff and incursions, it is much faster to lvl character on SoD then on Era (like 3-5 times faster), and it will devalue efforts of players who actually levelled character on era (or hc and then transfered to era).

I think is fair to say that season of discovery might progress into SoD TBC while those that wont wish to continue can transfer to era realms with their runes sacrificed back to vanillanormality.

1 Like

Take in consideration that SoD is Blizzards response to the comunity asking for Classic Plus, and that on the Blizzcon presentation they acted as if they were accidentally leaking Karazhan Crypts.

Ashenvale war, Bloodmoon event, Emerald dream incursions, SoD is a free for all in terms of what Blizzard can create on top of Classic Vanilla WoW, and they are pushing their creativity to the fullest, wich is fun to witness. Don’t be surpised to see Hyjal. SoD does not need to follow the TBC path at all, it’s perfectly possible for them to keep developing infinite content for that game without ever leaving the two basic continents of Azeroth, Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.

Please don’t missunderstand me, i’m not saying thats bad. In fact, I belive it’s really good, for the correct audience that can enjoy that, it’s just that not that audience.

I want to keep playing what we have now come to understand as “standard” vanilla WoW. Currently Classic Era is the closest thing that Blizzard offers to that ideal, and despite all it’s problems, I keep playing on it. and i’m not the only one. Yes, we are a small minority compared to the rest of the WoW playerbase, but we are there.

Introducing SoD on Era, would make it too different. It would alienate us NoChanges people. Then after the SoD on Era hype dies out, Blizzard would lose both the SoD and the Era population.

Wich is why i’m asking, please let Era be Era. Do whatever you want with SoD but keep it out of Era.

I feel the need of saying this because in the interview answer the developer says quote: “we aren’t really sure yet and we are listening to the community on feedback”

And at least the guy who opened this thread seems to agree with me.

2 Likes

Devaluation is least problem. Keeping SoD abilities/ruines/anything would be big problem.

Also most SoD players - I think - would not play long on an Era server … so no probs :wink:

I agree with you both as well. As I hope is seen here.